Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125306 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14475 on: July 11, 2011, 01:30:48 am »

Pretty much what destroyed my first proper fortress.

1. Gather wood from the outside
2. A vile force of darkness has arrived!
3. I was like "Oh boy! This'll be fun hehe..."
4. The amount of goblins was large enough to spam through the outernmost trap layer
5. Everyone is still safe, luckily
6. Bring out the militia so they can react to any further attempts to pierce the inner layer
7. HEY! Don't go in there... aww heck... the militiadwarves, without any kind of authorization, engaged the goblins and died.
8. A few goblins decide to push through the cage traps
9. Two make it through
10. Fun

Note to self - next time, instead of building an ambitious spike trap setup that won't get finished before the siege, just spam enough cage traps to stop a hundred goblins and reinforce with more weapon traps!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14476 on: July 11, 2011, 02:15:11 am »

After 23 years, Torcheven gained enough population for a Mayor.  Still only 18 adults.  This year some of the kids should come of age, finally.  We could surely use some more helping hands.

In the next year, despite the fact that the fort had been sealed tightly shut for 22 years without even a sign of a caravan outside, our clever mayor mandated that we export no Bronze items.

Really?  Lol.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14477 on: July 11, 2011, 02:40:01 am »

Just had a goblin thief ambush my legendary woodcutter, and took his right arm clean off with a dagger. The tough mofo continued to chop down 2 more trees and was on his way to a 3rd when he fell unconscious from bloodloss (with a trail of blood from tree to tree)

Was totally monty python, with the description of "has sustained Minor injuries recently" - upgraded to "Major injuries" once a doc had diagnosed the problem.
Didn't need any medical care and walked straight out of the hospital. (I'm almost expecting it to grow back with this dwarfs regen stats)

"What's wrong with me Doc?"
"You have no right arm"
"Nah! It's just a flesh wound!"
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14478 on: July 11, 2011, 03:22:14 am »

an FB that's a "Tower of Steam" spawned in water and ended up inside my reservoir.  Which is currently fully and pressurized.  Gonna flush the little bugger out where there's a pair of squads waiting.

Update -  It didn't get flushed out.  It's hanging around the sealed door leading into the cistern.  If it breaks that, I'm gonna lose one of the channel controls.  Fingers crossed on it falling down the exit hole right now...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:26:48 am by ThatAussieGuy »

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14479 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:52 am »

Let's see.

I dug out and walled in a 45x45 section of cavern 1. An overly complicated water system was added to, so as to continue with it's being overly complicated, and flooded said new section as per plan. I forgot about a well that was connected, and because I wanted this sub-system pressurized, some dorf blew his hand off and spattered the entire lovely dining room with mud. *shrug*

On a lighter note, someone else went gonzo and created for me an artifact shoe. Granted, it's a bloody nice shoe, but just the one. Mebbe I'll put in on an hop about for a day. Or turn in circles, it seems more dorfy.

I'm still new at this, so I am more prone to screw myself up, but my military does kill stuff a bit, and I am almost sure, (that I am doomed,) that I've got this military thing down, sorta. (6 squads, 43 dorfs. 2 of melee weapons, 4 of crossbowdwarfs. And the barracks are right where cavern fun will emerge, though no one is stopped from passing that point. So kids will, of course, venture down, find stuff, and get good or bad at fighting, running, or dying. Then a squad will come in to help, help, or avenge. (They can run fast, them youngins, but there is enough avenging going on.))

I think I have 53 kids and 197 adults. Something like. I'd put up a door, but the whole point of hollowing out the cavern was for trees and a (nother) pasture. And fun. I turned sieges off, so I am in requirement of fun, and everyone loves being poked.  Especially those that can find the breach into the cavern and explore. (I am making NO effort to find wherever stuff is coming in. That breach means fun, and I accept it. Unless I go for FUN, but I am a wee too new to try for that. [Translation: When this fort resembles the Noble Dodo, I shall try to have FUN while enjoying the fun.]

Is it bad to know the types of fun and Fun you can have, and use thing like, "When it fails," instead of, "If it fails"?

Edit: Added second parenthesis (")") in third paragraph.  [The last one]
I am not sure why that sentence looks funny to me. Yes I am.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:25:39 am by C0NNULL »
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14480 on: July 11, 2011, 06:19:33 am »

I managed to have my fort die of dehydration without noticing, (damn message spam) and saved over it.
that reduced the fun a bit.

Started a new fort in a terror area and am now disappointed about the lack of corpses from zombies. Also cagetraps suck...stink vs zombies.
stockade wall is finishedl, built entirely from deadwood.
busy digging into the underworld in order to find non-zombie action and fuel/magma.
First layer is only zombie crundle/caveogre/trog... only the spiders seem alive, but even more elusive than usual.
Planning to try out this ' danger room'  training I've heard about.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14481 on: July 11, 2011, 07:12:58 am »

About to prime my reactor for a test-firing of magma into a cavern.  All towards Project Waterfall.  Wherein I flood a cavern to the brim.  With Magma.  For Science.

Update - A Draltha was in the water under where the magma stack pumped out.  Note; BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:49:02 am by ThatAussieGuy »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14482 on: July 11, 2011, 12:10:06 pm »

My captain that claimed the carpenter's shop made an artifact saguaro cage. And the it said he became Dikefaith's Militia Captain. He's alternating between the colour of a farmer and the colour of a woodworker. I think that an artifact WOOD cage would be crap, but at least I got an artifact.

EDIT: I finished trading with the elves. Now I'm preparing for the human caravan, except those damn buzzards are attacking my people. I have a squad and a half, one of militia that is supposed to be wearing copper armour and shields, and wielding copper spears, and the other of scouts half that is supposed to be wearing their own clothing and wielding wooden training spears to function as hiking poles.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:43:30 pm by UristMcHuman »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14483 on: July 11, 2011, 12:59:52 pm »

I'm going to build a castle to house my military, my legendaries and my later nobles. Hopefully, I can get a military of ironclad spear and swordsmen and cloth and leather wearing crossbowmen.

Steel will be reserved for knights, and the position of knights will be reserved for the children of the Baron, Count, Duke and Monarch. Silver armour and weapons will be reserved for the armour stands and weapon racks for my nobles.

I've found a small amount of platinum, and I suppose I could make a cobaltite throne studded with platinum for my Monarch.

I am going to have to dig out a HUGE A$$ tomb for my legendary, fill it with stone chests, statues, coins and crafts. I'll put a lot of food and drink in the tomb for his use in the afterlife, along with a few weapons and a full suit of steel armour for his spirit to use if it gets ugly.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14484 on: July 11, 2011, 02:10:24 pm »

Defeated another White Tigerman siege.  This time, they were funneled through a bunch of Steel serrated discs and Silver spiked balls.   After that meatgrinder, my military only had to deal with one straggler.  Everyone else fled.

Also, I have begun digging out actual bedrooms for my dwarves.  No more of this Elf-like "communal living" crap.  Every dwarf gets a 3x3 room!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14485 on: July 11, 2011, 02:46:05 pm »

After several flooding accidents, the waterfall works.

Sieges have come and gone, but the ambushes always remain. Always. Pressed for time, as the Temple is nearing completion, the good Doctor Ilon Kolelik has ordered his squad of civilians to scavenge the blood soaked courtyard, arming themselves with the weaponry of fallen foes. They will be the only squad to use everything from warhammers to glaives to the twisted blades of the voidwalkers and so will be stationed at the entrance to the temple so that they might guard the children.

Only ten more spears need to be made before the citizens will be fully armed, and the woodcutters have been patiently waiting for the saplings in the courtyard to grow so that they might make more tower shields. The artifacts, as well as a collection of rare metals, masterwork items, and interesting weaponry have been placed in a hidden room, accessible only by flipping the correct levers in the command room. The wrong levers will open the waterfall and waterwheel room, flooding the fort. Simply pulling the correct levers will not allow access to the room however, as one needs to also find the entrance.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14486 on: July 11, 2011, 02:47:11 pm »

:o

no you weren't forced, you guys have FIVE drinking zones designated while most of you run down to that spot by the river on the other side of the map to drink and ignore my drinking zones complety, AND you have always enough booze!! Oh, and OF COURSE you get nauseated by the fucking sun if you fucking run down to the spot by the river on the other side of the map to drink while completely ignoring my drinking zones and the booze!!  >:(

err....thanks...I always wanted something like...that....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:53:40 pm by Khris »

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14487 on: July 11, 2011, 02:52:57 pm »

Currently in Bronzemachines, I'm attempting to train up marksdwarfs.

...this may take a while.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14488 on: July 11, 2011, 02:58:42 pm »

My Metalsmith just created The Right of Negators, an adamantine barrel. Hopefully it's actually usable for brewing alcohol, it would be the perfect thing to store in the tomb of whoever gets Boltpunches, an adamantine sarcophagus. Getting drunk in style in the afterlife!

That brings my artifact count up to 14. That's 28% of my dwarves who have made an artifact, and I still havent gotten a weaponsmith mood! A have many trained up to get weapon moods, so it's coming.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14489 on: July 11, 2011, 03:12:32 pm »

My ring of fire has finally been built; it's open to the top, but that's the easiest part to correct (and eventually, I may even build watchtowers on top of the ring). All that's left is to wait for it to fill with magma.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.....

Grr. Magma spreads so slowly.

ETA: It might be too slowly...the magma has gotten nearly 3/4 of the way around the ring in both directions (that is, it covers a total of around 3/4 of the ring), and really isn't going any further...
=Uncool-
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:31:20 pm by uncool »
Pages: 1 ... 964 965 [966] 967 968 ... 3842