Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125130 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14445 on: July 10, 2011, 09:31:50 am »

My challenge fort was named Tombstone, after the movie. I have two visible layers of soil. Loam and red sand. Yay! Glass and farms for my dorfs.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14446 on: July 10, 2011, 10:41:32 am »

A wrestler drowned in a pond.  What's odd about that is, after checking the combat log, he deliberately dodged a cougar and went into the pond.  Dwarven darwinism at it's finest, i say.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14447 on: July 10, 2011, 10:43:04 am »

Nothing new to report, except my mayor banned the export of quivers and my militia is developing cave adaptation.  I noticed THAT while my militia commander was on patrol.

And I gave my Militia commander the artifact bed, since it has a picture of her artifact armor on it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14448 on: July 10, 2011, 11:44:05 am »

Becoming very thankful for the overly large reservoir i dug out that's fed from a cavern lake.  It's proven invaluable in making wells and filling reactors.  It's something insanely large like 20x20x2 in size with multiple floodgated ducts leading out of it.  It was originally planned as part of a basic plan to flood a cavern for Fun.  It's now used for most projects in the fortress.

LordExumius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14449 on: July 10, 2011, 01:47:43 pm »

my dwarf miners dug a channel, dug a hallway, then just stayed there. They're still there now, complaining of thirst and hunger, refusing to build a stairway and refusing to go up the bloody ramp, even though the upward triangle is RIGHT THERE, they walk up to the ramp, don't do anything and keep complaining of thirst and hunger. Anyone know what's going on?

Edit: too late, they both died of thirst. Bloody idiots. I guess it's a reclaim for me. And if I recover their corpses, I'll probably just toss them in a pile outside.

Edit2: I've instead decided to wait untill the next migrant wave, and if there are none there I'll abandon then. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:15:22 pm by LordExumius »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14450 on: July 10, 2011, 01:54:10 pm »

my dwarf miners dug a channel, dug a hallway, then just stayed there. They're still there now, complaining of thirst and hunger, refusing to build a stairway and refusing to go up the bloody ramp, even though the upward triangle is RIGHT THERE, they walk up to the ramp, don't do anything and keep complaining of thirst and hunger. Anyone know what's going on?

The ramp is likely turned the wrong way, facing a wall or something.  Ramps are evil and annoying.  Mine out or build some stairs (which always work. Except when you accidentally make two up stairs in a row and no down stairs, or some such.)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

LordExumius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14451 on: July 10, 2011, 02:12:22 pm »

The ramp is likely turned the wrong way, facing a wall or something.  Ramps are evil and annoying.  Mine out or build some stairs (which always work. Except when you accidentally make two up stairs in a row and no down stairs, or some such.)

That's exactly what I told them to do, yet they wouldn't mine whatsover even though the labour was turned on and they were my only miners so I don't think I could have built a down stair.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:20:05 pm by LordExumius »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14452 on: July 10, 2011, 02:31:45 pm »

Currently, I'm...
  • Making a dining hall with copper tables and chairs.  (There's been no dining hall for four years)
  • Taking the workshops that have been outside this whole time, and carving out new rooms for them underground.
  • Preparing a tomb for my favorite legendary gem setter, who has a mood and will probably die as a result.
  • Making olivine blocks, and preparing to start making surface structures such as a fisherdwarfs' house and a pasture wall.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14453 on: July 10, 2011, 02:47:53 pm »

Ruledtowns is making 4 easy meals and 3 fine meals with eggs. The first thing that came out was =hen egg biscuits [23]=. The fort had its first migrant wave that came with a Talented Cook. So I had him build a kitchen and ordered 4 Easy Meals and 3 Fine Meals be cooked. I can see why cooking with eggs causes extreme kitchen clutter. I don't know why it's considered a bug.

EDIT: My Chef JUST made masterwork hen egg biscuits! Yahoo!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:06:05 pm by UristMcHuman »

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14454 on: July 10, 2011, 02:51:23 pm »

Currently taking a break from making Orc and Lizardmen civs to play a little more with the normal races. Going to make my quickest healing dwarf the military skills and the fort shall be dubbed Crimsonblade. Well see how it goes from there :P.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14455 on: July 10, 2011, 03:57:27 pm »

That's exactly what I told them to do, yet they wouldn't mine whatsover even though the labour was turned on and they were my only miners so I don't think I could have built a down stair.

Did you activate any burrows?  Miners will never mine outside burrows they are assigned to.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14456 on: July 10, 2011, 04:52:50 pm »

There are now 45 dwarves in my fort.

18 of them are adults.  The oldest child is 9 years old.

The married adult dwarves are pretty much popping out a new dwarf every year, one per couple.  I'm being buried in dwarfkids, lol.

However, dwarfkids are the only source of new dwarves - as it's been 1000 years since my dwarven civilization last had a ruler.

Can't wait for another three years to pass so I'll start getting some new useful dwarves.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14457 on: July 10, 2011, 05:20:32 pm »

There are now 45 dwarves in my fort.

18 of them are adults.  The oldest child is 9 years old.

The married adult dwarves are pretty much popping out a new dwarf every year, one per couple.  I'm being buried in dwarfkids, lol.

However, dwarfkids are the only source of new dwarves - as it's been 1000 years since my dwarven civilization last had a ruler.

Can't wait for another three years to pass so I'll start getting some new useful dwarves.

Are you getting any immigrants?

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14458 on: July 10, 2011, 05:25:23 pm »

My civ hasn't had a ruler in a very long time, and I still get tons of migrants.  I like to just assume that all the ones that don't show up are anarchists.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14459 on: July 10, 2011, 05:29:07 pm »

once again i started a new fortress on HUGE A$$ mountains with a volcano.
I made a fortress entrance right near the volcano and im planning to build my fortress around it.
1 full year is behind now and one of my starting 7, my mason/stonecrafter/jewel cutter and what not died out of dehydration in autumn. I thought i was short on food so that was quite a shock but i noticed that he walled himself into a small corner when building a walls. damn these retarded dwarves, now i dont have a mason.
I was wondering why all the buildings that required masonry, wasnt getting built. Im hoping this fortress wont tantrum since none of my dwarves couldnt even bury him or anything. I had built coffins and all but no.
I got one artifact also, i think it was on first summer, though possessed so no legendaries. Jewelcrafter made a Perfect red pyrope "afterlock the sizzling neutrality worth 48 000 ☺bucks

starting a metal industry now and I've found quite alot of minerals just by scratching the mountainside. nothing useful though, just some silver, galena, tetrahedrite, malachite and some gold veins.

Another dwarf bites the dust after a cavern collapsed. the moment he started digging, i realized that, damn. there's gonna be another cave-in. He just second ago survived one collapse without a wound but this time he slammed into a wall and died. pity. now theres only 5 of the starting 7 alive and total of 19  :'(
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:44:44 pm by Doro »
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 3842