Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125016 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14430 on: July 10, 2011, 01:36:49 am »

Currently I'm lamenting how near perfect my fortress is. It's got, starting from the top, fire clay and white sand, nice big open caverns, with sourced water, a wide assortment of trees and animals, tetrahedrite and bituminous coal, lots of nifty gems, and magma close enough to build an obsidian farm. Between the humans, elves, and dwarves, I have access to most of the interesting animals, plants

Sounds like a neat place to have. And, you could use copper crossbows and bolts, copper shields and silver maces and war hammers. Obsidian can also make crude short swords in a pinch with a log for the handle.

I want that site!

Heh, here's the best world I've ever created, I posted it up a while ago.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4521

It's pure vanilla 0.25, but there are a lot of adjustments to world building numbers.

There's a near-perfect volcano site on the world, it's not quite flat, but most of it is very gently sloped.

If you look at the two images carefully for the search perameters, then the location of the volcano on a 4x4 embark, you will get an excellent start location.  Either that or download the Foldedlens community game to take a look after a few mad dwarves have been running it for a while  ;D
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14431 on: July 10, 2011, 01:56:15 am »

So um...

A humanoid brush titan composed of impure mithril that "moves around carelessly" was just able to step into a full murky pool, without a ramp, and come out the other side. It did this three times, the third time going under a wall as well and entering my courtyard.
What.

E: luckily, it went down pretty quickly.
Creatures that can swim can pull themselves out of the water without a ramp IIRC...

Unless you meant something else.
That's not something I've ever seen or heard of happening before.
Try it in adventure mode, give yourself some points in swimming, jump into some water then Alt-move your way onto solid ground. If you can get dwarves with swimming skill to fall into the water then they should be able to do it too.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #14432 on: July 10, 2011, 02:02:42 am »

So um...

A humanoid brush titan composed of impure mithril that "moves around carelessly" was just able to step into a full murky pool, without a ramp, and come out the other side. It did this three times, the third time going under a wall as well and entering my courtyard.
What.

E: luckily, it went down pretty quickly.
Creatures that can swim can pull themselves out of the water without a ramp IIRC...

Unless you meant something else.
That's not something I've ever seen or heard of happening before.
Try it in adventure mode, give yourself some points in swimming, jump into some water then Alt-move your way onto solid ground. If you can get dwarves with swimming skill to fall into the water then they should be able to do it too.
I shall give it a try.
If you're right, this means I need to completely redesign my defenses...
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14433 on: July 10, 2011, 02:08:29 am »

New fort, named "goldfish".

I like it. I like it a lot!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14434 on: July 10, 2011, 02:18:30 am »

30 elves on eagleback vs a spearmaster with an artifact bone spear and title and two axedwarves with titles.  Bets on the outcome, anyone?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14435 on: July 10, 2011, 02:31:55 am »

30 elves on eagleback vs a spearmaster with an artifact bone spear and title and two axedwarves with titles.  Bets on the outcome, anyone?
5 platinum on the spearmaster. Don't the elves know our dwarven ancestors used to hunt birds with spears?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14436 on: July 10, 2011, 02:45:36 am »

5 platinum on the spearmaster. Don't the elves know our dwarven ancestors used to hunt birds with spears?

Someone pay the man, because Udib Likotlerom, the Trussed Chaos of Machines and wielder of The Strategic Corridor, Arctheminkot, left the mountaintop covered in eagle and elf pieces.  Literally.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14437 on: July 10, 2011, 02:54:23 am »

TONIGHT on DWARF NEWS

Urist McMayor's plans to prevent unemployment by starting vast building projects grind to halt with the lack of expendable stone. The Mayor has sent forth an excavation team to retrieve more stone from the caverns. "Economical growth is the biggest issue we have. We can't thrive on wood forever - the surface is home to dangerous creatures and goblins! Down there, there's nothing dangerous - only stone, metal and space to be exploited, without any risks at all!"

Militia Commander Urist McBraveButStupid has protested the dangers of his work. "It's not fair, really. The amount of caught goblins has grown too rapidly, and we'll have to execute more than five at a time! Even without weapons, they do have sharp teeth, you know. The prison populations have grown really fast this year, so eventually we'll need new ways of exterminating convicted goblins en masse. I've talked with Urist McCourtEngineer about the situation and he has presented me with interesting schematics for various mass execution methods. They revolve pretty much around the conclusion that goblins can not fly or breathe in water. They also, according to his calculations, are not magma-safe, whatever that means."

The price of barrels and fuel is finally starting to fall as the massive wood harvesting campaign is successful. "The situation will be normal within a few months", Urist McEconomist comments. When asked about the impact of the mass harvesting on the trade relations with the elvish tribes, Urist stated: "Well, there may be some diplomatic problems if too much wood is harvested too quickly. But that's what our army is being paid for - to protect our economy!"

The Minotaur captured by the excellent cage traps of the fortress has complained about indwarfane prison conditions, specifically about not being allowed to see his solicitor and being forced to stay in a small cage without food, drink or exercise. He has also complained about his upcoming punishment, death by a hail of crossbow bolts: "Those so-called marksdwarves are half-blind! Could you at least provide me a swift death at the arena instead of having those idiots fire at me for ages before one of them actually hits my head?" The requests have been denied, but the possibility of commuting the sentence to lethal impalement is still valid. The Dwarven Commitee for Dwarfane Executions considers the case not to be critical for their cause. "Well, we don't want people being executed in over-the-top fashion, but on the other hand, everyone enjoys a good show every now and then..."
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14438 on: July 10, 2011, 04:51:09 am »

Lost a fort of 80 after my full steel military (10 spears, 10 hammers) were destroyed by 30 white tigermen with copper mauls.
This is a blank sig.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14439 on: July 10, 2011, 05:11:04 am »

Lost a fort of 80 after my full steel military (10 spears, 10 hammers) were destroyed by 30 white tigermen with copper mauls.

Steel is pretty bad for blunt weapons. Make your hammers from silver.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14440 on: July 10, 2011, 05:13:56 am »

Steel is pretty bad for blunt weapons. Make your hammers from silver.

and build walls. Walls will always save a fort.
Walls without doors obviously.
or wooden bridges.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14441 on: July 10, 2011, 08:22:42 am »

I'm starting a new fort on one of my worlds. I'm going to try a challenge I made up known as "The Oregon Trail".

Pre-Embark:
Optional: Wait to stop world gen until it hits the year 1840 (if possible).
Bring 10 food and 15 booze per dwarf.
All dwarfs embark as peasants.
Bring along one axe, one pick, 10 copper bars, one rock (not obsidian), and 10 fuel.
Bring other random supplies like leather and cloth, if points allow.
Bring a few chickens and rabbits if points allow.
Hint: Try and find an area with clay.

Post-Embark:
Chop down enough of one tree to make one 4x5 log cabin.
Lather, rinse and repeat the above step until all dwarfs have a cozy home.
Hint: If you found an area with clay, use the one rock you brought, build a kiln, set a clay collection zone and set Collect Clay on repeat. Use that to build homes, instead.
Dig them a root cellar, under their house, place a food pile in it and set it to receive 25 barrels, max.
For stone and ore, dig a side hill mine going down about 5-6 levels.
BONUS: Dig a 50x50 quarry and decrease the size by 2 tiles going down each level.
Gather lots of plants and make 10x10 farm plots behind each house.
WESTERNBONUS: Make one by ten plots one tile away from each other, dig a channel in between, mine underground to a river and voila. Western-settler-stye irrigation. Be sure to build a floor grate over the channels.
See how long you can live Oregon-settler style.
Modding BONUS: Mod the raws to make human, dwarfs, elves etc. butherable and recreate the Donner Party during your first winter, should food run short or out. Of course, you have to have almost no food for this to happen!

As you can see, this is similar to the "City-States" challenge on the wiki. Try them both and see which one you like better!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:24:15 am by UristMcHuman »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14442 on: July 10, 2011, 08:25:10 am »

i believe you just gave me a nice idea to try out.
And i will try it.
you have my word.
and my axe.
and my bow!
"legolas, noone wants your bow, go back to making socks"
"but mommmm"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14443 on: July 10, 2011, 09:12:42 am »

Started the new embark and have a fairly featureless plain with a 4-wide river running through it and scattered ponds.  Designated name is "Tower Divine".

Two soil layers; first is yellow sand, second is peat.  Below that I hit marble within four rock layers (yay flux!).  And a very large kaolinite deposit as well.  So I have glass and porcelain industries ready to go if I can sufficient fuel.  Zinc ore in the marble (Sphalerite) and when I broached the first cavern layer I found veins of native gold as well.  At a minimum the place will be decorated well.

Need to dig deeper and find out if there is any weapons grade metal ore.  However, limited to two picks until a caravan comes because I did not notice during embark prep that I somehow deleted carrying an anvil.   :-\

And one of my original seven (a mason) has drowned from an improperly designed attempt to throw a quick foot bridge over the river.  Luckily the first migrant wave included a trained mason to take his place.

Local wildlife benign so far (deer, panda, fox, raccoon) but a badger conga line was sighted as well.  The goblins are fairly close neighbors so there is reason to get the walls and gates completed ASAP to provide additional security.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14444 on: July 10, 2011, 09:28:21 am »

Playing my Dig Deeper fought, fought off a nice big siege that painted my entrance and entrance traps a flattering shade of cyan troll blood, goblin blood, green vomit, and a brown tone where all such substances are present. Said siege whittled down my squads a little, but at this rate, the fort might actually die of all those little cuts taking all the extra people I'm throwing into the military. Or not. Since each migrant wave makes it into my fort alive.. but the injured do not always live...And the gobbo marksmen shot up my legendary weapon smith. Pity. It'll be said smith's hopefully temporary replacement forging more trap components to thin those goblin numbers... And I should either make it impossible for my above ground pastures to be shot at, or just turn my aboveground wells into underground cisterns..Depending on which takes more ingenuity. Perhaps I'll do both, not that I expect a higher pasture wall to do much good.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 3842