Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124346 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14265 on: July 01, 2011, 06:07:14 pm »

I recently hit Microcline, Milk Quartz, Hematite, Tetrahedrite, Petrified Wood, Cassiterite and Bauxite, all within a game week of embarking. I managed to find a river with two layers of dirt (1st sandy clay, 2nd loamy sand) that didn't have an aquifer for once. I dug 7 5x5 pit houses for my dorfs and took 15 birch logs with me to cover beds, chests and a block for a well. Hoping to find enough iron to start a good long-term ironclad military. Yay! Sandy clay for sod shacks for my dwarfs. I also got a couple of pike fish, a sturgeon, and *gulp* carp. Hacking down trees to make fish traps.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14266 on: July 01, 2011, 08:36:28 pm »

I FINISHED MY ARMY!

Dathan, axedorf, became legendary with axe skill after having killed the last ferric elf of the siege (i'm using the fortress defence mod)!

That makes 50 steel-clad and legendary dorfs!

Yay! Next challenge: build a pyramid out of obsidian, cover it in blood, write ARMOK in 3D inside.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14267 on: July 01, 2011, 08:38:51 pm »

So... stockpiles don't prevent fires like I thought. Get building those coffins Urist McMason.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14268 on: July 01, 2011, 08:47:21 pm »

I picked a home civ that was (perceived to be) dead, with no ohm symbols anywhere. And that civ does NOT have access to Plump Helmets. Ain't that crazy? No Dwarven Wine, either. Which is dumb.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14269 on: July 01, 2011, 09:00:33 pm »

First failed mood. He wants dye, but i have no dyers. Probably going to be interesting though- I don't care about the loss if this dorf berserks - he's a friendless loveless fish cleaner. Poor guy was on the bottom of the pecking order anyway.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14270 on: July 01, 2011, 09:11:41 pm »

I had a dogsplosion on my hands.  I was thinking of butchering all the puppies for meat, but my stockpiles are already overflowing with 9k worth of meat of various critters, so it would just rot in the butchers shop.

So I dug out a room over the caverns and threw all 60 something of the puppies down a hole into the caverns at once, where a forgotten beast with deadly vapor slaughtered every single one of them in a matter of seconds.  It was bloody, and glorious. And I learned that I don't want my military anywhere NEAR the damn thing.  It's vapor was instantly fatal.

I think I have a new sacrificial pit, but does that make me a monster?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14271 on: July 01, 2011, 09:18:18 pm »

Announcements:  Urist McSomebody cancels drink:  Interrupted by Carp.

Me:  Oh no...  :(

Battle Reports:   The Carp is fighting!

Me:  OH NO!  :o

Specific Battle Report:  The Carp's head takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing apart the brain.

Me:  Oh yes!   :D

I love waterfalls.  8)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:10:14 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14272 on: July 01, 2011, 09:52:22 pm »

I had a dogsplosion on my hands.  I was thinking of butchering all the puppies for meat, but my stockpiles are already overflowing with 9k worth of meat of various critters, so it would just rot in the butchers shop.

So I dug out a room over the caverns and threw all 60 something of the puppies down a hole into the caverns at once, where a forgotten beast with deadly vapor slaughtered every single one of them in a matter of seconds.  It was bloody, and glorious. And I learned that I don't want my military anywhere NEAR the damn thing.  It's vapor was instantly fatal.

I think I have a new sacrificial pit, but does that make me a monster?

Build your depot over a floor set to collapse. make sure your pit can eat them all. Confine the FB to the area via controlled caveins. You have a new Trap! Activate incase of hippies elves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14273 on: July 01, 2011, 09:57:22 pm »

Wallarches, the dwarf fort with the plump-helmet-less dwarf civ, has just breached the caverns and found a few giant cave spider webs. I immediately walled up the cavern layer and postponed exploration until I get a few (i.e, 20+) copper-clad soldiers, since I couldn't find any iron ores. I dare not venture further until I have a good few squads of about 30+ soldiers, for fear that the fantastic (or forgotten) beasties that roam the deep underworld.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14274 on: July 01, 2011, 10:59:02 pm »

I just accidentally gave the elves a great deal.  Oh well, they're the most powerful empire in the world right now, so at least I'm on their good side.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

kellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14275 on: July 01, 2011, 11:49:38 pm »

Just finished an agrarian floor which effectively increased my farming potential by 8 fold (just need enough seeds now - won't be cooking for a while), decked out my first half-squad of dwarves in full copper with silver war hammers (haven't found anything other than copper and galena), caught my first baby-snatcher in a cage, and finished making my fort entrance a death-trap - once you enter the main hallway, a series of floor-hatches and pressure plates forbids deeper entry or exit out the way you came, with lever-controlled copper spikes lining every free tile in the hallway. Need to deal with a cat/dog explosion...about time I get into the meat/leather/bone industry.

Also, trying to learn how to deal with stuff in cages - like a goblin baby-snatcher in one cage and a cow cow corpse in the other.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14276 on: July 01, 2011, 11:57:42 pm »

For the goblin, what you do is mass-dump the tile the cage is on (d+b+d), then manually un-designate  the cage (k+d) so that the goblins inventory gets dumped, rendering him harmless.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14277 on: July 02, 2011, 01:14:47 am »

dont forget to unforbid the items in the cage first or they cant be dumped (use d+b+c)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NotAQuisling

• Bay Watcher
  • Openly Fey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14278 on: July 02, 2011, 01:24:28 am »

Struck a bunch of tehadrite.Now to wage war upon the apes that robbed me.
Download complete in 15 Days and 7 Hours

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14279 on: July 02, 2011, 07:24:01 am »

You didn't have any cage traps, did you?
Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 3842