Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969321 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13995 on: June 18, 2011, 11:33:38 am »

Well note that their definition of bath is to take a bar of soap, break a small chunk off, throw it in a bucket full of water, and then dump that bucket over their head while fully clothed.

It's more of a shower really.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13996 on: June 18, 2011, 11:51:43 am »

Well note that their definition of bath is to take a bar of soap, break a small chunk off, throw it in a bucket full of water, and then dump that bucket over their head while fully clothed.

It's more of a shower really.
I guess they like the squishiness. Also, remember they like nice things, as well as differentiating themselves from elves. Notice elves don't bath - thus good-smelling dwarves are OBVIOUSLY superior.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13997 on: June 18, 2011, 12:38:38 pm »

Got feed up with the unexpected waterfalls appearing right next to my entrance/pastures and the slow road to fps death, so I went back to a save right before all this shit happened. Sadly, this means I'll have to re-dig out my magma forges and the delicious blue cotton candy, but it's worth it to not have my dwarfs drowning (at least, not yet!).

Also set up some "baths" for them to clean off the blood from the last few sieges and herd cullings I've been doing.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13998 on: June 18, 2011, 06:19:31 pm »

Couldn't get through the Aquifer to be able to get safe, so I'm about to have tons of FUN from the goblin siege I can't withstand because I don't have traps and an ambush of Goblin Bowmen cut my military down from 7 to 2.

One Axedwarf and one Marksdwarf.

On the other hand, my aqueduct and fortress cleaning systems work perfectly. If I could get my dwarves to not drown under the latter. :D Heck, I even have a semi-functioning Hospital.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13999 on: June 18, 2011, 06:24:37 pm »

My dwarves took 20 days to build 2 walls even though 15 dwarves with the appropriate labors sat around complaining about having nothing to do. The walls were supposed to stop magma from a failed experiment from trapping everyone inside, there were supposed to be 3 walls.

Dwarves bad, Stalin RAIGE.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14000 on: June 18, 2011, 06:32:25 pm »

My dwarves took 20 days to build 2 walls even though 15 dwarves with the appropriate labors sat around complaining about having nothing to do. The walls were supposed to stop magma from a failed experiment from trapping everyone inside, there were supposed to be 3 walls.

Oh, how I hate wall building. It seems to have a lower priority than 'no job'.
[Signature]

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14001 on: June 18, 2011, 06:35:53 pm »

Oh, how I hate wall building. It seems to have a lower priority than 'no job'.
It's like they were mocking me. I swear to god  at least five dwarves with the masonry labor and no job walked up to the site, stared at the unbuilt walls, the rocks to build the walls, and the magma that was slowly preparing to ruin their lives and then went on break.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14002 on: June 18, 2011, 08:14:44 pm »

Working on my first above-ground fort.  It's actually pretty fun, despite the lack of Fun so far. 

I did finally encounter badgers, though.  I was intimidated by stories I'd heard on the forums, as well as the sheer numbers - there had to be at least a dozen of them.  I quickly got over any fears, however, when a marksdwarf walked into the group and strangled one of them to death.

You haven't known fear until you find the giant badgers.

This. I lost an eight-month old fort recently when three giant badgers wandered into my base through an unfinished wall and then couldn't find their way out. In fact, I think the mason may have gone and finished the wall after they were inside. I'm not 100% but I was too busy following the carnage to check.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14003 on: June 18, 2011, 08:26:27 pm »

Working on my first above-ground fort.  It's actually pretty fun, despite the lack of Fun so far. 

I did finally encounter badgers, though.  I was intimidated by stories I'd heard on the forums, as well as the sheer numbers - there had to be at least a dozen of them.  I quickly got over any fears, however, when a marksdwarf walked into the group and strangled one of them to death.

You haven't known fear until you find the giant badgers.

This. I lost an eight-month old fort recently when three giant badgers wandered into my base through an unfinished wall and then couldn't find their way out. In fact, I think the mason may have gone and finished the wall after they were inside. I'm not 100% but I was too busy following the carnage to check.

I recently had a black bear wander into my food stockpiles... I didn't have a military up at the time, so I just sorta let it do as it wanted; it stole about sixty servings of alcohol, some seeds and legged it.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14004 on: June 18, 2011, 09:07:11 pm »

Nothing giant yet.
Man, constructing buildings is so much harder than digging.  I have about a dozen bedrooms that are ready to be furnished, and about 80 homeless dwarfs.  They're either going to have to start dying or start coming up with pine logs faster.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #14005 on: June 18, 2011, 09:12:10 pm »

They're either going to have to start dying or start coming up with pine logs faster.

Mod Dwarves to drop logs on death.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14006 on: June 18, 2011, 10:55:07 pm »

Damnit!

Some of the animals got into the 'danger room' again, including ones assigned to the militia commanders. They're now permanent invalids, having escaped the danger room just barely. Worthless if they weren't female and thus self-replacing.

A glazer just got possessed to make some ridiculous trinket. He's high-master in that profession already, I don't care what he does as long as nobody dies in a less than hilarious manner.

One of these days i need to figure out how to make my gem crab creatures properly magma-safe so they don't die instantly upon entering the map.

My engravers are working hard to create masterpieces on EVERY LAST WALL of the catacombs. I mean seriously, everyone that has a tomb down there already had a 'royal mausoleum' from the sheer size of it and the smoothed walls, and now we have an amazing number of masterpieces.
Armok forbid I ever flood the place with magma and destroy them all No he would enjoy that too much to forbid it... Better get to sacrificing gobbos.
Some of the dwarves are ecstatic with only four thoughts: Dined in a good dining room, slept in a good bedroom, had a legendary drink, and is satisfied with work lately.
That really is some good booze...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:12:12 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14007 on: June 19, 2011, 06:17:32 am »

MURAKGODEN/Boldropes fell recently, to an odd bug (?) where after a goblin ambush, my army turned on their friends and slaughtered the majority of the population. No tantrums, just ecstatic/content/happy soldiers beating their friends to death with socks. Most of them were about 50% bandage though- danger room training took a while. Anywho, i've just reclaimed Boldropes- it was going really well until the proverbial dung hit the spinning blades.

Now, i've spent an hour setting up stockpiles, assigning beds and watching the Idling counter stay on 0. It's gonna be a long cleanup.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14008 on: June 19, 2011, 06:34:27 am »

Had another run in with a nasty forgotten beast with all sorts of syndrome causing extracts. The worst kind to, I don't mind a poisonous forgotten beast that might result in a little bit of blood loss and numbness/faintness but stuff like this, rot all over a dwarfs body, just sickening.

Anyway it seems this beasty was capable of quite some damage, with massive force in it's secretion. Looks like a little to much force for it to handle xD

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And it seems just this time it might not end in tragedy as I had an impressive surgeon in my fortress. First patient left the hospital with near to no health issues.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's hoping the other two will make a full recovery.
I'm fearful for the dwarf who took the brunt of the force and had some bones broken and now has some rot in his bones. Nasty infection that.

Hope that damned RNG is in my favor next time and brings me a humanoid made out of salt or some such next time, all these infections make me sick.

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14009 on: June 19, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »

One of my pro military dwarfs just walked out of the hospital with x4 plaster casts and x8 splints.
I think he was faking it.
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 3839