Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 930 931 [932] 933 934 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972696 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13965 on: June 16, 2011, 01:25:49 pm »

A kobold thief arrived.
Sadly, a vermin hunter troglodyte killed it before my military arrived. Oh well.
At least my serpentmen get some fresh meat.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13966 on: June 16, 2011, 07:04:48 pm »

I'm making a large round tower in an evil region. Unfortunately, my dwarves refuse to channel out the ditch under the drawbridge so ogres, badgers and harpies have free reign through the building site and all but one dwarf is now insane or dead.
[Signature]

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13967 on: June 16, 2011, 07:14:56 pm »

A unicorn just tore through Whisperedgroves, taking my 50 dwarves down to 30.  It all began when my hunter decided that rather then hunt goats and marmots he wanted to tackle larger prey.  All he succedded in doing was piss it off, drive it into my main hall where it proceeded to maim, impale, and squash every dwarf that dared look at it funny.  In the end it had a name and managed to wander out of my fort since most dwarves were to scared to approach him.

Thank goodness none of my dwarves really like each other but now I need to get started churning out coffins.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

The Mentat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13968 on: June 16, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »

I'm trying to fight off an Ettin, a tantrum spiral, and a forgotten beast. First, the ettin shows up. He makes it past the weapon traps, which I haven't hooked up, and goes on a rampage in my fortress. He kills a well-liked dwarf, which causes one of his friends to throw a tantrum, and the tantrum thrower is killed, setting off another tantrum. The forgotten beast shows up and takes on a squad on a narrow bridge over the water in the cavern, and throws half of the squad off the bridge with a dust cloud. They drown. I don't have that many dwarves, so my military is small, and I try to replace them. The Ettin, however, is between my weapon/armor stockpile and my recruits. The forgotten beast has worked his way up to the workshops/living area of the fortress, and is smashing them. I keep trying to wall it off, but the dwarves that the FB is currently chasing keep running out before I can finish. The ettin is still preventing me from arming my squads. I think they're in league with each other.
We're not laughing at you, we're laughing with you. And pointing. At you.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13969 on: June 17, 2011, 12:41:53 am »

Log of Captain Dorf, Militia Captain.
Damnit! Can't believe I spent a full year and a half preparing for the battle with the ogres and they wander off just as all is falling into place! Why the hell did they siege us for so long anyway?

They'll be back, some day, and we will be ready. In the meantime the trolls, cyclopes, and probably a couple other groups are all sending non-standing forces every season. No goblins yet, for whatever reason. They send thieves though.

Anyway, the troops are decked out in masterwork steel and silver equipment, courtesy of our smiths, miners, woodcutters, and wood burners. The dodge-falls trap is being primed after having been dug out, and the troops are trained well enough that I'm not that worried about whatever broken and battered beast gets through the pit. The marksdwarves though may prove wanting, as I didn't consider actually giving them any decent practice with their weapons.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vent

• Bay Watcher
  • Kilroy the Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13970 on: June 17, 2011, 12:47:11 am »

I'm currently working on expanding the housing area of my fort before I increase the population cap, and I'm working on forging better quality steel armor for my militia.
Right now I'm also hoping for an ambush soon to fill my cage traps, because I have several forgotten beasts running around in the caverns under my fort that have destroyed the local animal men populations and I bet they would appreciate a new gobliney source of food. ;)

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13971 on: June 17, 2011, 12:58:24 am »

My dwarves just finished sacrificing goblin virgins by tossing them into the volcano.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13972 on: June 17, 2011, 02:21:01 am »

A forgotten beast showed up and immediately got inside our fortress. I thought I'd walled everything off...
Deadly blood. Luckily the battle apparently left it fairly uninjured, and I've yet found only one spattering of said blood. I had left my game unpaused and unattended, and apparently the only thing it managed to kill was one of my dwarven swine. The fact that it only left that one blood splatter, and the fact that it left no corpse despite being organic, begs the question: what actually killed it? Clearly the fight took place in the magma forges, and the combat reports give it's last known position as on the edge of the magma, beating up a war sow, so maybe it dodged in and bled to death on the bottom.
With no dwarven injuries (The engineer got slapped up but is perfectly fine now, no hospital visit.) and only one dead dwarven swine and one other with a few bad injuries, I don't really care as long as nobody stepped in that blood and infects the entire fortress with it, should it even prove harmful.

Managing the annual catacombs construction and engraving. Maybe something interesting will come up this year in an engraving. Have to remodel the number '7' to be '8' because I didn't engrave or smooth it last year. I'll construct it from platinum bars. only 8 new graves this year, but the average fill rate has thus far been .3 coffins/year.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13973 on: June 17, 2011, 04:23:20 am »

uhmmm...

i last minute saved a kitty cat from dying because of lava miss-happenings. But couldn't save one of my legendary miners.
Poor sod.
But now, i now: when you reach the magma sea, remember...NEVER DIG ALONGSIDE the unexplored area. one "hot" stone, might actually be the last stone next to the lava...and you don't want that.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13974 on: June 17, 2011, 04:55:21 am »

To honour the fallen (and to shut up the whinging survivors complaining of a lack of chairs), we are constructing a new dining room.
The last was already legendary, but a little on the small side.
This time, all furniture is to be of Masterwork quality. Anything else is being summarily dumped and atom-smashed while the Mayor waggles a finger and says "Not good enough" like some grey, wizened, skin & bones school teacher.

In order to try and solve the riddle of soap, and to make use of the migrant waves that are coming to the fortress "Despite the danger", all parasites new arrivals are immediately being re-assigned to lye-making and soap-making duty.

What's that Urist McDigsalot? You came to Crewclasped to make use of your legendary mining skills in our caverns?
Tough tits, you're on fat rendering duty. We've got gallons and gallons of Forgotten Beast fat and seemingly endless lye, yet your idiot pre-cursors saw fit to maintain only a constant of 6 bars of soap.
Yes, I know that most soapers to arive at fortresses usually get re-assigned to something more useful like rock hauling, but we do things differently here.

It's that or you can re-open the caverns and say "Hi!" to the two new visitors we've got wandering around down there. I've heard that one has an insatiable thirst for warm blood.
No?
Didn't think so.
Go get slippy.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13975 on: June 17, 2011, 06:55:14 am »

My dwarves just finished sacrificing goblin virgins by tossing them into the volcano.

Do goblins even have sex? I would have thought screening them for virgins is unnecessary.
[Signature]

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13976 on: June 17, 2011, 08:50:41 am »

Do goblins even have sex? I would have thought screening them for virgins is unnecessary.

Actually, the tossing-in is the virginity screening itself. Virgins in a volcano take slightly longer to incinerate.

Riftmachines is on hold while I figure out how to boost my FPS to something respectable... Meanwhile, a separate fortress has been built into the twin peaks of a volcano.

One peak functions solely as the entrance with the training room, barracks and armory stored within (as well a an underground farm, but hey). The second peak has enough lead for me to poison most of Switzerland, so I guess I'll be making trillions of goblets.
See, I like killing Elves too. I just prefer to do it more subtlely. Making an immortal race sterile and slowly going mad appeals to me.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13977 on: June 17, 2011, 09:22:25 am »

On this map, I have badgers and carp. Oh what fun.

Now I have two dwarves left, both of whom are insane. Even if migrants come I won't be able to do much with them because the noble and military interfaces are both glitched because I have no dwarves left.

OK, migrants came, but now they're refusing to do anything because there's been an ogre strangling a spinner in the courtyard for 6 months and no-one dares walk past it. I can't even fight it away because of the aforementioned bug that stops me forming a military.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:28:15 am by Tharwen »
[Signature]

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13978 on: June 17, 2011, 09:37:00 am »

Anyone else noticing local, hostile tribesmen becoming friendly after killing a FB and receiving a name? Because I've got two now.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13979 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:29 am »

Anyone else noticing local, hostile tribesmen becoming friendly after killing a FB and receiving a name? Because I've got two now.

Yep. I guess its a bonding experience?
Pages: 1 ... 930 931 [932] 933 934 ... 3839