Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 928 929 [930] 931 932 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972543 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13935 on: June 15, 2011, 01:29:19 am »

Testing a new creature's venom.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a minotaur in there. Had to wait 500000 ticks for bleeding to occur. The first symptoms are a short burst of unbelievably intense pain at the site of the wound, and then heavy fever and dizziness that last almost until the bleeding sets in. The bleeding is localized to the original wound, and slow enough that at least a minotaur can run around the entire arena floor until it bleeds out. (the one empty square is an obsidian wall, had to encase a different subject.) It appears to be similar for dwarves, though takes about 1/3 the time to bleed to death. Still gives your halls a nice coating of blood. If the only time calculation that is different from the real world's is a month always being 28 days, your dwarves have 14 months to live. If by some miracle they don't bleed to death then they have twice that long to live before every tissue on their body begins to rot away. I think that's enough punishment for trying to mess with armok's adamantine plugs, don't you?

This creature, even without the poison, is meant to be a fort-ender. Fast, flying, prone-to-rage:25 building destroyers. food, drink, and item thieves that come in huge swarms led by an enormous, bloated queen. They have 4 stubby legs, 4 wings sprouting from the shoulders/hips, and an enormous toothy dragons-head, and even use their tusks and the two long in-line horns on their snout in combat to impale dwarves.
Underground only, luckily for you. :P

Magma is your friend.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13936 on: June 15, 2011, 07:27:15 am »

Following the cowardly elvish assault on our undefended mine, in which Kagosh was thrown down the main air shaft. Kagosh the blacksmith was tumescent in the hospital with two doubly broken legs when she got a genious idea.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

From Wikipedia:
Tumescence is the quality or state of being tumescent or swollen. This swelling includes expanding foam and expanding caulk. [1] Tumescence usually refers to the normal engorgement with blood (vascular congestion) of the erectile tissues, marking sexual excitation and possible readiness for sexual activity. The tumescent sexual organ in men is the penis and in women is the clitoris.
LOL !!
(and !!blush!! )
incumbent? supine? prostate?
What I meant to say was being back-broken and lying down...using a latin word. :p
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13937 on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:24 am »

Following the cowardly elvish assault on our undefended mine, in which Kagosh was thrown down the main air shaft. Kagosh the blacksmith was tumescent in the hospital with two doubly broken legs when she got a genious idea.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

From Wikipedia:
Tumescence is the quality or state of being tumescent or swollen. This swelling includes expanding foam and expanding caulk. [1] Tumescence usually refers to the normal engorgement with blood (vascular congestion) of the erectile tissues, marking sexual excitation and possible readiness for sexual activity. The tumescent sexual organ in men is the penis and in women is the clitoris.
LOL !!
(and !!blush!! )
incumbent? supine? prostate?
What I meant to say was being back-broken and lying down...using a latin word. :p

Maybe that's what sexual excitation does to dwarves? Inspires them>
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13938 on: June 15, 2011, 07:54:08 am »

I's enuf tae mak me baerd crrl!

AH!
recumbent, as in lying down and it reminds me of recuperate, which was what she should have been doing.

I might 'abandon' this current fort and migrate to the caverns.
The constant ambushes are a bigger nuisance than forgotten monsters ever have been.
I'll just need to collect all that gear...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:26:46 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13939 on: June 15, 2011, 08:13:31 am »

A goddamn super troglodyte attacked badgers, breathed fire, and now everything is on fire.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13940 on: June 15, 2011, 09:37:00 am »

Asngek Dakdorku's legacy continues to affect Ginetdidok.
A few days after its death and that of the brave few who confronted him, other dwarves started showing the same symptoms.
The children died fastest.
At first it was a group of 3 dwarves every week or so, but it rapidly accelerated to up to half a dozen falling prey to the exploding eyeball disease at a time.
Over the course of a few weeks, a thriving population of 235 was reduced to 195, yet none of the victims seemed to exhibit a single trace of Asngek's poison.
In desperation, we have now started dismantling our cleaning trenches in order to redesign them, and disposing of all traces of forgotten beast to be found in the kitchens and craft shops littered around the fortress.

We have turned the tide of goblin invasions with the strength of an elite few.
We have laughed in the face of titans while hewing them limb from limb.
We shall not be brought low by a filthy disease.
Cleanse and purify!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13941 on: June 15, 2011, 10:26:05 am »

Let's play a game I like to call...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Somehow, an untrained woodcutter managed to make the ogre run away, and now it's being chased by my entire populace (of 6) around the entire map. It's just a shame I can't see where it is half the time.

EDIT: Wow, another ogre just came and beat a wrestler to death with a pair of trousers...

EDIT 2: Now a different ogre has spent the last three months getting bitten over and over again by about a dozen wardogs. It's seriously lagging up the fortress.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:48:08 pm by Tharwen »
[Signature]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13942 on: June 15, 2011, 12:47:11 pm »

Another day, another 1-year-old child creates an artifact.

Steel production has sped up significantly. All our troops are armed and most have armor. The dodge-fall trap will be done next. The troops will need to be trained up in the danger room before I can breach the walls and begin what will likely be the most epic battle I have ever partaken in.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13943 on: June 15, 2011, 02:03:16 pm »

Hoping the caravan brings a copper cage so I can melt it down and forge a pick to dig out to expose the aquifer before it freezes, so we can get to some stone and stop living like elves.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13944 on: June 15, 2011, 02:05:52 pm »

Listening to the sound of my goblingrinder and watching the Cyclops that has camped outside my walls.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13945 on: June 15, 2011, 02:35:20 pm »

Nothing like the smell of ☼Forgotten Beast Tallow Roast☼s in the morning...

Though I suppose that's better than having the seven or eight FB corpses rotting in the refuse pile. :P
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13946 on: June 15, 2011, 03:39:30 pm »

Oh my god.
Lignite veins running through magnetite clusters.
PRAISE THE BLOOD GOD

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13947 on: June 15, 2011, 03:55:05 pm »

The infection is under control.
Now comes the unenviable task of putting down those dwarves driven berserk due to the untimely deaths of friends.
The militia commander has earned himself the nickname "Noah".
Every time he hits someone, something sails off in an arc.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13948 on: June 15, 2011, 03:55:54 pm »

The infection is under control.
Now comes the unenviable task of putting down those dwarves driven berserk due to the untimely deaths of friends.
The militia commander has earned himself the nickname "Noah".
Every time he hits someone, something sails off in an arc.

and i doubt it's the animals. XD
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13949 on: June 15, 2011, 04:17:21 pm »

A goblin siege followed a human caravan to Bridgegate.
I think some of the humans got away, it is hard to tell, they look very similar to unicorns. But they never made it to the trade depot to haul away all the crap fine dwarven trade goods and goblinite the Bridgegate is accumulating, instead they died and left piles of stuff that my dwarves are now sorting through. My duke even lifted his ban on exporting all the green glass that he demanded be made, but the humans had to bring some goblins with them.

The siege didn't turn out to badly for my dwarves, they were all locked inside hauling stuff to the trade depot when the goblins were detected.
Some of the goblins' troll friends knocked down a door, and a goblin and a troll died in my large dagger trap (My dwarves take their time hauling dead bodies, so they tend to produce miasma in the entrance which upsets my dwarves).

Now I have caged trolls! I notice that they have long fur, and the goblins tend to were goblin fur, is there a way to set up a troll fur farm?

Another thing I learned in this siege, goblins and skeletal badgers don't get along, unlike their living counterparts. I think I am going to have to set up some cage traps, in the undead region of the map.

After the siege, and all my soldiers got back on their feet, I noticed a new combat report. A skeletal deer killed a named cat. I was enraged, killing cats is my job. I ordered the militia to kill that skeletal deer. The entire squad engaged it, but it was a lasher who finished it off. A solid hit and it went flying across the map leaving a trail of blood ten squares long.
I was a bit surprised by the amount of blood in a skeletal deer, but was pleased when I spotted a skeletal deer bone lying on the ground.
Pages: 1 ... 928 929 [930] 931 932 ... 3839