Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6117292 times)

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13845 on: June 09, 2011, 07:18:34 am »

In my LP, I tried to fight a Werewolf with a lone untrained wrestler.

I'll admit that it could have gone much better.

Lost_Deep

• Bay Watcher
  • Do deep things think the sun is a large lemon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13846 on: June 09, 2011, 08:11:45 am »

Ezum Roberkadol looked at the pick. It was a simply amazing pick, made of fine iron. Steel would have been better, yes, but you worked with what you had. It was a masterful pick. Not an artifact, but a amazing pick nonetheless. He was proud to have made such a beautiful thing.
If only he didn’t know what it was for.
Craftsfaith had been beautiful. The dining room was simply magnificent, the walls and floors covered in amazing imagery of the legends of the area and the accomplishments of its inhabitants. The rest of the fort was okay, livable, well-paved. It still was well-paved, but the stench of death filled the place.
The goblins had gotten in, and killed so many.
Ezum decided to take a break. A break from thinking about the gurgling river that sped past Craftsfaith, not too far away. He went down into the amazing dining room. It was short on tables, but that did not make it any less amazing. The blood stains, however, did. He could not stand them. He went to his room. Smooth walls, smooth floor, nice chest, sobbing corner.
Sobbing corner?
Oh, no. It was that ghost. Only a babe, it haunted the fort. It did not seem to cause that much trouble; it only cried. It did not murder, or steal, or awaken, or anything. It just cried.
Mournful, mournful, cries.
Ezum went back to the dining hall.
Blood.
Ezum went back to his room.
Infant weeping specter.
Ezum went to get a drink.
The stockpile was quite full, hundreds of drinks. It would last the five remaining dwarves of the fort for a long time. Ezum also got a bite to eat. Some berries, maybe some he had picked himself. The overseer had been instant on everyone picking plants when they had nothing better to do.
He had also been a legendary miner.
He was dead, now.
All the miners were.
That is why Ezum thought about the river so much.
There were no miners to do it, so who was going to?
Ezum decided to get some sleep. The next day, he might forget about the idea.
The traps were set, he knew.
They weren’t going to take his fortress.
One way or the other.
The next day, he got up and mined to the river.
The day after, the river froze.

COME ON
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:13:39 am by Lost_Deep »
...being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
...but what does [LAYER_LINKED] actually do?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13847 on: June 09, 2011, 12:32:53 pm »

I'm currently working on an arena suspended over the mouth of a volcano, and I'm spamming the caverns with cage traps to feed it. So far, I have about a dozen crundles and a goblin thief.

Oh, and I've also built the main meeting hall into the side of the volcano mouth, overlooking the fighting. It will be epic.

EDIT: Yay! I just had a gobbo ambush try to run through my trapped hallway!

Lots of combatants for me :D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:51:59 pm by Tharwen »
[Signature]

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13848 on: June 09, 2011, 12:57:22 pm »

Currently I'm having my military actually train instead of "individual combat drills," which is probably them making sound effects while they swing around a pretend weapon.
I'm also creating my dining hall, which is going to have rows of tables, chairs and statues on the side. While my mason tries to churn out enough stuff my other dwarves are smoothing my expedition leaders, soon to be, legendary office, dining room and bedroom.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13849 on: June 09, 2011, 01:12:38 pm »

DFusion decided to be weird and in my first migrant wave I got some humans and a clown thresher.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Lost_Deep

• Bay Watcher
  • Do deep things think the sun is a large lemon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13850 on: June 09, 2011, 03:08:34 pm »

DFusion decided to be weird and in my first migrant wave I got some humans and a clown thresher.

Draft him! There are always more threshers! There are always more clowns, too, but most of them want to eat you.
...being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
...but what does [LAYER_LINKED] actually do?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13851 on: June 09, 2011, 03:09:43 pm »

Draft him! There are always more threshers! There are always more clowns, too, but most of them want to eat you.
I already butchered him.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13852 on: June 09, 2011, 03:13:14 pm »

I had a moment of confusion when two dwarves in my fort had babies in rapid succession, Ezum the Pump Operator and Libash the Bone Doctor.  As I hadn't realized any dwarves in my rather young fort were married, I checked Ezum to see who it was, and the name listed was... Libash.

Of course it turned out that there were just two dwarves named Libash (Ezum's Libash is a wood burner), but I had a moment of wondering if something very strange had happened.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13853 on: June 09, 2011, 04:14:18 pm »

A weaponsmith just went fey. and just in time to begin weapons production!

Why the hell does he insist on using aluminum? that is possibly the worst choice for weapons material, but I'd be missing all the other masterwork blades if I refused.

Meanwhile, steel production was delayed slightly by insufficient pig iron supply.
Even the caverns can't supply the wood needed by the steel industry. I'll have to clear-cut an enormous section. Need more woodcutters...
That new artifact weapon is a battleaxe.

What do you guys think? Is aluminum such awful material for a battleaxe that an artifact quality one would be inferior to most steel ones? Should it simply be forbidden and forgotten, to prevent someone in the militia from getting a hold of it and getting killed?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:05:29 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13854 on: June 09, 2011, 05:47:40 pm »

Need more woodcutters...

What do woodcutters use? Axes! An aluminum axe will work just fine on trees, and probably make for a happy woodcutter.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13855 on: June 09, 2011, 06:16:41 pm »

Need more woodcutters...

What do woodcutters use? Axes! An aluminum axe will work just fine on trees, and probably make for a happy woodcutter.
Armoks beard yes. That woodcutter will freaking love this ax.

Looking at the raws (in the wiki), aluminum can get just as much of an edge as steel, but is lighter. Since it's also an artifact, I think it'll be better than exceptionally made steel axes, but about equal to or slightly worse than masterfully made steel axes. Of course, I'm guessing on what matters and what doesn't for this.

EDIT: forgot to say what's going on in my fort. I have the fps cap at 500, but it's idling around 150 or so right now. In my large water resevoir (drained a pond way too large for my small farm), I now have an alligator. I think it's quite amazing, and have decided to name him for posterity sake. Need naming ideas.

I've taken to naming all dwarves based on their last name, and then assigning them jobs that are somewhat related to those names as well. One of my dwarves is named "grizzlysmith", which earned him the blacksmithy (I already have a weaponsmith named agedsteel). So far the arrangment has proved almost overly successful, with the only meaningless names going to the farming labor (really, what is "ringwashed" or "Twogally" supposed to mean?).

What else... I embarked with a somewhat minimalist setup - basicaly an anvil, some coal, a bunch of copper, and a good amount of starting food (meat and booze, no seeds). I then gathered all of my seeds and made my own dug-out above-ground farm. Extra points were mostly spent on skills and dogs. I need to tweak it for my next embark (do I really need coke? naw), but I like the idea of not getting supplies you can easily make yourself.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:43:49 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Doradan

• Bay Watcher
  • FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13856 on: June 09, 2011, 06:44:40 pm »

Had a FB go kamikaze on my scout dog I had down in the caverns, all my idles are still hauling meat to my constantly expanding stockpile from the butchers. I've got over 100 pieces and no end in sight. He had one of the bugged dust attacks and wasn't made out of mineral, so he ended up smashing into the ceiling of the caverns, which were only 2 z-levels above him. Besides some slight nausea, the dust doesn't seem to have any other side effects though. Still used dfcleanup just in case.
CHIMPANZEES ARE FUCKING VICIOUS. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. BEWARE THE CHIMPS, THEY SEEK ONLY TO DESTROY.
Doradan cancels Craft Signature: Interrupted by Buzzard

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13857 on: June 09, 2011, 11:33:10 pm »

Need more woodcutters...

Yeah, it would be nice. Unfortunately it's standard procedure for it to immediately be nabbed by some militiaman if its unforbidden, and the woodsmen all have their own axes.

And it's not sharpness that makes the material, or I would be perfectly happy handing out copper battleaxes, swords and spears. it's something else entirely that determines the ability of a weapon to penetrate a material and deal damage. Aluminum simply doesnt have that quality. as a matter of fact, it can't penetrate copper gear in the slightest. Question answered I guess. Need to find a use for that thing...

In actual fortress news, steel production is slow. Pathetically slow. But the siege simply will not break until they're all dead.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:02:31 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13858 on: June 09, 2011, 11:55:51 pm »

Well, I no longer have a goblin problem.

A miner plugged a hole into the bottom of a lake to drain into a well cistern and ended up swimming to the lake's surface and crawling out. Thus he was on the wrong side of the locked gate and now surrounded by a dozen angry goblins. He proceeded to run around like a headless chicken, occasionally taking time to give a goblin a new breathing hole with his pick.

Trouble came up when the pack of badgers returned from wherever the hell they went. Naturally, the miner ran right through the pack of badgers, enraging most of them. The bastard things then decided to tear through the entire goblin ambush - none were killed, but damn if they didn't leave quickly!

So, I no longer have a goblin problem - and the wild badgers aren't too much of an issue yet... Instead, I now have a problem with grizzlies. I wish people would stop leaving the front gate open.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:39:14 am by Niccolo »
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13859 on: June 10, 2011, 01:48:31 am »

White tigerman siege.
It all goes good.
The first squad is easily annihilated.
But when the second squad comes in, my axedwarves are too busy killing off the first squad, and a spearman gets in and murders a bunch of people.
Then the same tigerman is killed by a bolt.
Then the siege is fought off.
Then a marksdwarf goes berserk and is quickly killed by an axedwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 3842