Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6117304 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13830 on: June 08, 2011, 09:06:49 am »

My fortress is coming along swimmingly. I've just discovered the joy of attaching sparkly stones to my crafts to make them worth stupid amounts... Normally I just crank out hundreds of crafts and trade them all away, but I wanted to see what would happen if I did this.

My military are up and running and training well; I plan on producing at least one full squad of marksdwarves within the next year. Production of a leatherworks is comnig along too, but my miners take a few too many smokos.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #13831 on: June 08, 2011, 10:17:50 am »

Will you try and rescue that fort? Would be quite the awesome thing to do and an epic story end ;)

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13832 on: June 08, 2011, 11:20:48 am »

I started a new fortress after I finished reading the epic of Syrupleaf. I wanted to have a brook or river nearby so that I would have a constant source of water.
Luckily, I found a brook. Right next to an easily defended cliff face. I have three different checkpoints to protect the entrance of my fortress, and I plan on increasing that.
My interactions with the military system yet again ending in tears. My military was under-equipped, and were unable to hold off the two simultaneous goblin ambushes. They were only held off due to the multiple cage traps I have installed in the main hall.
Now I have an animal stockpile filled with goblins, and I have no idea what I can do with them.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13833 on: June 08, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »

My captain of the guard, who was instrumental in the resolution of Roastring's great tantrum spiral, is none the less guilty of multiple murders. It may have something to do with her brand of justice involving a steel battle axe.

Interestingly, do to her being the only law officer, she's not getting put in prison, nor recieving a beating. Which is a shame, because watching a dwarf beat itself to death sounds fascinating.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: June 08, 2011, 01:24:25 pm »

The rot has arrived.

Thankfully it was during winter and only 2 animals and 8 dwarves were affected. The animals were quarantined together with the FB corpse and the dwarven lives were saved..

However.. one of the dwarves was found in the dormitory in a strange state of mind that was one part confusion and one part extreme pain. No doctor went to see him until I removed the bed from under him and he was retrieved for diagnosis.
 The diagnosis showed advanced rot on both feet. Further investigation revealed two pools of FB extract in the dormitory. Beds were removed and the floor was torn up; this destroyed the extract without any creature stepping in it.
 How the extract got there is a mystery. The stocks screen isn't showing any FB extracts or liquid. Has the danger been averted? Is someone walking around with it on his shoes? Will the dwarf survive surgery? The region has a very short summertime, but when it comes around ... will the rot re-appear? Will I ever be truly safe?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13835 on: June 08, 2011, 02:19:23 pm »

Log of Captain Dorf, Militia Captain of Tombworships

It's been uneventful, besides the general aura of idiocy emanating from the populace.

The stoneworkers designated construction of a massive section of floor for the meeting hall. When they actually began to construct it, nobody had a damn clue where the stones they needed for it had gone, declared them destroyed in some manner or otherwise lost to them, and decided not to construct those sections of floor. Still building the rest of it, at least.
The mayor still demands another mithril item be constructed. She insists that we melt down some of the troops' equipment and reforge it, but as far as I'm concerned our smiths aren't skilled enough to produce anything near as good as what the cobalds brought.

Then there's the mysterious case of a guard down in the prison, who wanted to eat his meal in his room, but claimed he couldn't because he had to guard the prisoners, running back and forth between the door and table in the cell and complaining of hunger - there are in fact no prisoners and he's not on duty, just insane. He doesn't even HAVE his own room. I decided that since the food and drink he nabbed from that prison room was supposed to be used only by prisoners, that he ought become one, and locked him in. Didn't say a word to me, just sat down at the table and had his meal. I unlocked the door, though. I'm not a complete asshole.
I should tell the mayor and stoneworkers to get organized about providing rooms. Although a huge portion of the populace has them, and they're pretty god damn nice, there are a lot of people just sleeping in the hospital and I don't want my troops to get stuck on the floor when injured just because the Right of Bedding Act makes kicking a dwarf out of bed punishable by a beating.

Then there's the farmers. I understadn farming requires only slightly more brains than the animal you're handling, but I figured the farmers would have at least average intelligence. One dwarf was standing out in the walled off pasture - told 'em it was a good idea to wall off our pastures - trying to move bees to a new hive by waving his arms around or something, telling them to get their arses moving because he wanted to go eat. The Food Supplier guy came and told him to quit making a fool of himself and go inside, and took care of the hives himself. We should install windows around the pasture so we can watch the idiots toil from our ☼gabbro thrones☼, not to mention watch the animals fight over who gets to stand in the exact same spot. They've eaten the pasture bare by now. It's probably best to have them butchered while they're still relatively healthy. We can't let them graze outside, or in the caverns, without getting us all killed.

Saddly, one of the guards' husbands, also in the guard squad, was killed during the orc ambush.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BlandoTaco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13836 on: June 08, 2011, 03:34:45 pm »

There's a lungfish wandering around the front of the fort
It's creeping me the hell out
 ???

Oh great, now there's more
I intend to die the way I was born:
Naked, screaming and covered in blood.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: June 08, 2011, 10:05:03 pm »

What sort of dwarfA smart dwarf is afraid of a tiny little lungfisha horrible amphibious baby carp.
Keep up the good work.

In other news, some woman and her kids got locked in her room for a couple months, nearly starved/died of thirst!

Watching the yaks be dragged in from the walled pasture. Biggest grazing population, first to go.

Perhaps it was a bad time to have cabinets placed in every single room... Oh well, the butchers shops will be cleaned before anything begins to rot.

A siege of... trolls. has come to the aid of the ogres, who bring enslaved wild trolls.
Don't tell me THESE guys are gonna start stacking up to...
The day that I get the dodge-pit trap finished is the day it actually begins to rain trolls and ogres, along with the occaisional orc or goblin ambush. If the weapon traps get clogged before finishing their job or the injured pile so thick at the bottom of this pit that further siegers begin to climb out unharmed, I will both be totally unsurprised and completely prepared.
Oh hey, an orc siege just showed up.
And there's a campfire to the east that is visually unoccupied, but no doubt they're hiding in ambush. Only cobalds will both correctly besiege you and conceal themselves. Killing their pack animals and taking their stuff must have pissed them off.
Welp, game over. Cobalds, like kobolds, are immune to traps, but are as big as dwarves and have access to steel, their own form of steel, and mithril.
But seriously, none of the previous 3 sieges has left yet. I can imagine them just piling up until I simply can't handle them all. until my COMPUTER simply can't handle them. They're already outnumbering the typical clown ambush. At least it will be the most epic slow-motion battle ever. I might as well record it when I DO open up the gates.

hmm... so will 290 iron bars be sufficient to outfit all my troops, for the moment, in iron, and produce lethal spear/spike traps to deal with the mega'bolds? Nope. I'm fucked. Still can't produce steel without some sort of coal or wood fuel. Need to get into the caverns.

Our only saving grace is that they thus far haven't brought flying mounts. That will change eventually, and now may be my only chance to prepare.

Log of Captain Dorf, Militia Captain of Tombworships
Clearly the mayor is too much the fool. I am directly in charge of actual defensive efforts, I ought be able to at least direct work related to that. The other dwarves are behind me, I have consent. The general won't lynch me too hard for taking over production for a little while. The ogres, trolls, orcs, goblins, literally just about everyone, are starting to build their own little towns just out of reach, a ring around our fortress, supplying the sieging force and driving an amazing economy. I'll show them who commands the wealth and might of the globe! It's the dwarves!
--The Plan--
I'll start the defensive effort by tunneling into the first cavern, where there is a notable lack of forgotten beasts, and clear cut a huge portion of it for coal supply.
Immediately after obtaining wood and then coal, steel production will begin. It's a slow process though. The masons, after opening the cavern, can start building areas for more smelters, and some of the other dwarves can participate in smelting the steel bars. I think we'll need about four times as many smelters operating to produce bars as we plan to employ producing armor and weapons. The smiths will be working overdrive for a while, but so will just about everyone else.
I need the miners to finish digging the Enormous Trench of Gory Rain and the mechanics to cover it in moving components, just to trip them into the pit. the enemy is stupid enough to try to walk across for sure, and when they realize it's futile they'll cut and run, lifting the siege.
Meanwhile, my militia needs proper training. Last I heard from the outside world there was an idea for an automatic training program, quite terrifying that we'll have to stand in it... The design is simple: stuff the troops in a room of mechanically activated weapon treps decked out in armor and weapons and start the machine. They'll have to fight to survive, but at least machines are stupid and they get the chance to learn, given that the spikes are nonlethal.
I started one months ago, and now it's time to finish linking it up.
When all the assets are in place; the Trap, the Troops, and the Tantrums, we will open the gates, bringing a wave of horrible, smelly, bloated death down upon ourselves. We'll win though.
--------

I need to prepare the battle music!

It's hilarious how poorly prepared for a siege I've been this whole 7 years.

A stoneworker just went fey!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:30:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13838 on: June 08, 2011, 10:34:58 pm »

I am stockpiling cats with the intent of making cat food.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13839 on: June 09, 2011, 02:23:23 am »

That's... not how cat food works.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13840 on: June 09, 2011, 02:49:31 am »

That's... not how cat food works.

in dwarfen society, it's legit.
think about all the totems.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Fidelius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: June 09, 2011, 03:00:12 am »

Ok, after 3 dwarfs killed in the process, i finally managed to build a completly automatic Danger Room for my 3 Axedwarfs.

It was a miseryfull and disgusting process, as i tried silver menacing spikes, then wooden menacing spikes, then weapon trap with training spears, and finally training spears in a upright spear trap.

Yeah, i kinda missed better instructions in Dwarf Wiki.

Anyway, for first time in my dorftress history, i managed to kill a gobbo ambush with 3 axedwarfs, with no casualties and not a single injure; and they arent even full armored (embarked on galena spot...)

So, good news.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: June 09, 2011, 05:29:54 am »

Current megaproject:

Step 1: Tunnel to water/magma
Step 2: Pump water/magma to surface
Step 3: Create map-wide yin-yang symbol out of magma and water

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13843 on: June 09, 2011, 05:33:36 am »

Back from a hiatus of family crap and continuing work in my magma Pumpstack, just in time for a less laggy pumpstack to be invented! joy of joys. soon the surface will have magma!
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13844 on: June 09, 2011, 07:13:26 am »

Eric Blank, your fort is pretty awesome. :) Keep us posted with the adventures of Captain Dorf!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 3842