Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6115908 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13800 on: June 04, 2011, 03:10:14 pm »

Hey dwarfs, just leave the seeds where they are and plant the ones that are closest to you!  I don't need you putting every damn one in a bag when you have a fort full of violent ghosts and rotting corpses to clean up!

Edit:  I just got a migrant named Kivish Fortressweakened.  Something tells me I should get rid of this guy NOW.

His full name is Flesh Fortressweakened.  He's going to weaken the very body of the fortress...even the stones will burn.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: June 04, 2011, 05:00:49 pm »

Currently starting a new fortress with the genesis mod, I'm building a drawbridge and a wall to protect my people. After that I'm going to put some walls and floors around the top of my courtyard so goblin archers can't shoot down.
I already have some wood production getting ready, along with some mechanisms. I already wasted some time getting an area ready which I would later not use.
I'm hoping I can do this in record time so I can get my food industry ready, along with the bedrooms and other things. I'm actually designing it instead of placing stuff everywhere.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: June 04, 2011, 05:34:18 pm »

Just got my first goblin ambush and goblin stalker for this fortress, two years in.  My stalwart quartet of poorly trained marksdwarves killed the leader of the ambush and the stalker and the rest ran away, but there are giant slicks of goblin blood left on my nice tidy badlands, and my dwarves are covered with the stuff.  What a mess.

Time to build a Roman-style bath down by cavern #3, I suppose...

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: June 04, 2011, 05:38:36 pm »

Big siege after I took a very long break from DF, with a war leader leading the whole thing. When I saw the leader's squad, I wondered where the pond he was standing by came from, and where all his help was.

That is about the time I found out those are, infact, axegoblins. Heeellllpp...
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: June 04, 2011, 06:52:48 pm »

Due to Armok blessing my dwarves with the fertility of rabbits, I nealy have over a hundred smaller buggers running around. They are good for deconstructing stuff in a hurry but they follow mummy and daddy into danger rooms and die, they follow mummy and daddy outside the walls to watch them build a bridge and get snatched and/or die. Not only that, but most of the children are friends with everybody else so once a few die it all hits the fan. I've had several dwarves slammed in prision.
Indecent acts towards a dog? 25 days. Indecent acts towards a dwarf? 25 days. Being so strong as to actually destroy the *Black Bronze chain* (my duke has a thing about chains and black bronze)? 15 days.
Breaking an item of furniture or building? BEATING!!!
My Sword Master, a vertern since the early days of my fort, was having a hissy fit and knocked down my leather works. A dwarf from my Captian of the Guard's squad came over and hacked him to death. First his arm, then leg, then ribcage and internal organs. The guy bled out after a few frames and about ten guys showed up. I thought they were there to weep but they where really just there to steal his stuff.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #13805 on: June 04, 2011, 06:56:52 pm »

Using a danger room, I finally was able to cobble together a functioning military, which took down a visiting giantess and a few goblin ambushes (no full assaults yet, tho). On the negative side, some nameless shlub got himself elected mayor, and I lost my founder-mason when he walled himself up inside someone else's tomb and starved to death. Ouch.

It's a nice site, with lots of iron (no coal..), an above-ground plateau that I was able to completely isolate and use for my tower-building fetish, and a cool underground island in the middle of a vast lake, covered with spiderwebs. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with that last one, yet. Still setting up the trap-corridor before I actually breach into it.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: June 04, 2011, 08:42:47 pm »

Decided to go back to what works - danger rooms included. Currently using several little tricks for fps - including pop cap of 0, one cavern, no economy, and so forth. Also found out that there is a masterwork adamantine two-handed sword buried however many z levels down. I dug down to it's level, but ended up seeing "an unusual structure" made of slade.

My one soldier in purchased steel... I'm not feeling comfortable with that. If I get a full squad of soldiers up to legendary with full steel spear outfits... I'll go for it.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: June 04, 2011, 08:57:06 pm »

Decided to go back to what works - danger rooms included. Currently using several little tricks for fps - including pop cap of 0, one cavern, no economy, and so forth. Also found out that there is a masterwork adamantine two-handed sword buried however many z levels down. I dug down to it's level, but ended up seeing "an unusual structure" made of slade.

My one soldier in purchased steel... I'm not feeling comfortable with that. If I get a full squad of soldiers up to legendary with full steel spear outfits... I'll go for it.

Pull the sword, everything nothing bad will happen.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: June 04, 2011, 10:03:28 pm »

I just had a really promising site, ignoring the aquifer present... There was goddamn limonite everywhere.

Except when it got 'round to the bigass river melting my game crashed.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: June 05, 2011, 02:22:38 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: June 05, 2011, 11:09:38 am »

My new fort (after the last damn one crashed, sadly...) is succeeding wildly. I've had to dig through a metric crapton of dirt to hit rock, but I'm there. The soil has made setting up ludicrously large numbers of farms an easily achievable idea... I suspect that I will need to expand my booze stockpile in a year's time.

Unfortunately, when I crawled up from the depths of my fortress to see how the surface-fort (walls around the entrance and butcher shop to avoid miasma) is coming along I found that I had hit a slight problem.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah. Everywhere.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: June 05, 2011, 11:47:37 am »

I'm channelling out the floors of a pit to throw captured enemies in, carefully as possible, and of course it just has to collapse, killing or disabling all of my miners and about 10 other dwarves. I don't even know how it happened, there's just some hole that goes all the way to the bottom of the pit, as if an elephant had stood on the top and caused the floor to collapse. Apparently the dwarves in the cave-in were 'boiling in magma' at some point, even though there's no magma anywhere near it. Maybe hot dust.

Lost_Deep

• Bay Watcher
  • Do deep things think the sun is a large lemon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: June 05, 2011, 07:35:53 pm »

Well, I guess I start by making coffins...

An ambush!

Blast! everyone inside! close the door!

Another Ambush! this one has bowgoblins...
But the door is closed! They can not get in! They will leave when they realize that my glorified hole-in-a-hill is completely impenetrable!
Or not...

AHA! Badgers approach! Now for some real bloodshed! After all, given how much they hate my dwarves they will probably wound the goblins!

"What in de blue blazes are you doin out ere?"
"Welp, we're a-waitin' for the dorfs over thar to open up so we can kill 'em"
"Mind if me an' my conga join yall?
"No, be my guest! Troop 2 is parked in front of their gates, so if you go over to that slight rise we will be able to keep any from escaping at all!"

COME ON

...being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
...but what does [LAYER_LINKED] actually do?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: June 05, 2011, 07:41:23 pm »

I'm channelling out the floors of a pit to throw captured enemies in, carefully as possible, and of course it just has to collapse, killing or disabling all of my miners and about 10 other dwarves. I don't even know how it happened, there's just some hole that goes all the way to the bottom of the pit, as if an elephant had stood on the top and caused the floor to collapse. Apparently the dwarves in the cave-in were 'boiling in magma' at some point, even though there's no magma anywhere near it. Maybe hot dust.

Exactly, hot dust. All stone has "boiling magma" as its gaseous state. So all the stone that was vaporized during the cave in counts as boiling magma.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: June 05, 2011, 08:47:48 pm »

Welp, Dutycalls is my first official tantrum spiral. From 100-someodd I have 16, and all of 'em are miserable and likely to snap.

Also the dwarven caravan is here, so I'm going to zerg rush them for the lulz.

Edit: Goddamnit! My fort is down to one guy (who's named himself mayor because, well, one guy) who's miserable and hobbling around on a crutch but not crazy yet and he's getting used to tragedy and it's spring and if he takes too long to crack I'll have migrants and all my effort not stopping this tantrum spiral will be for naught! NOOOOOOOOO!

Edit2: Aw crap he went melancholy!

... 'aw crap?!' aw CRAP i got attached to him!

ehhh, it's mid spring, migrants will be here in time to see him die
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:46:34 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 3842