Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6114629 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13785 on: June 03, 2011, 02:29:47 pm »

My fortress has just been attacked by a hydra.

After letting it chase my livestock back and forth across the trap array in my entrance a few times, I decided to set my military on it. 

While checking the combat logs, I noticed this:

The Hydra grabs the Dwarven Baby by the right lower arm with her right rear leg!
The Dwarven Baby punches the Hydra in the fourth head with her right hand, bruising the fat!

Dwarf Fortress: where even the babies will take on mythical monsters.

Edited to add:
Alas, the baby did not survive the fight, as the hydra decided to ignore all the other dwarves that were stabbing it in the lungs and hammering its limbs to pieces, and concentrated on what it must have considered the real threat, snapping the baby's arm before biting into her brain.

Farewell, Ducim Biggravel.  You were a true dwarf!  May you find peace alcohol served in the skulls of your enemies in the next world.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:44:47 pm by Iapetus »
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13786 on: June 03, 2011, 04:08:57 pm »

A personal favorite artifact was created today..."The Temple of Urges", a pig tail braies.  So appropriate.  Another classic created a year or two ago was "The Burn of Style", a gypsum figurine of an elf being killed by a dark horror in the region around 150 years ago; I guess the creator wanted to have a classy insult against the elves.  Other than that, progress on the gold tower continues and a mace lord was lost to old age. 

Kogan Mondulshorast has completed her 31st year as mayor of Hallhealer and a new mining project should reveal gems and hopefully the cassiterite dfprospector says is on the map.

Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13787 on: June 03, 2011, 05:14:36 pm »

I have dug down to the magma sea! Now I don't need to burn all the wood to power my forges.

Goblin ambushes are coming non-stop. My hallway of cage traps has so far been keeping my dwarves safe, but I am running out of cages. My current population: Goblins 111; Dwarves 80 (30 of which are children).
I had my dwarves push one of the goblins off a cliff in the caverns, but all that happen was the goblin landed on its lung and was otherwise fine.
Another goblin was thrown in a wild badger pit. Unfortunately, the badger doesn't seem to mind the goblin and is not getting enraged.

At the end of one of the ambushes, one of my dwarves was startled by a goblin thief. The goblin quickly ran away, but not before cleanly slashing off one of my dwarf's feet. I have a well equipped hospital set up so the dwarf heads to the hospital for treatment. Apparently my chief medical dwarf was busy because some unskilled dwarf diagnosed the patient: missing foot, requires crutch.

Another goblin thief was inturupted by one of my military dwarves. He couldn't run fast enough, so he tried running into a group of advancing pike wielding goblins. They fled when my dwarf caught up to the thief and started stabbing its feet with his steel spear. He then worked his way up the goblins body, poking holes until he got to the head and tore the brain. By then the goblin pikemen had fled the map.

Now I've gotten my first forgotten beast; Ngok, a huge eyeless butterfly. It has large mandibles and it undulates rhythmically. Its lavender exoskeleton is wrinkled. Beware its poisonous gas!
I have the cavern in which it appeared sealed off, but I left a rooster down there to keep an eye out for anything.
The rooster and Ngokdidn't get along and had a 6 page fight. The rooster managed to fracture and smash open the left first foot of the huge butterfly, before being strangled.
I don't know what effect the poisonous gas has, the combat report has the forgotten beast breathing clouds of boiling forgotten beast extract, but the only one ever caught in the burst of forgotten beast boiling extract is Ngok.
Now see seems to be hiding in the water in the caverns, waiting for its next victim.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13788 on: June 03, 2011, 05:32:49 pm »

Damnable trogs just killed 6/7 of my fresh embark. The last dwarf is more than likely to go insane/get killed before the first migrant wave.

Nevermind, game crashed. Everybody's fine.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:37:32 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13789 on: June 03, 2011, 05:36:45 pm »

Just had the most epic siege ever, made all the more awesome because this was playing at the time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:02:34 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: June 03, 2011, 08:12:03 pm »

From the journal of Deduk Crowedstake, Expedition leader of Nationbridges:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:13:53 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lost_Deep

• Bay Watcher
  • Do deep things think the sun is a large lemon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13791 on: June 03, 2011, 08:14:05 pm »

So, my first ever skirmish with the goblins. They ambushed a herbalist (who could be almost anyone in the fort, I have gather plants on most of my dwarves.) so I immediately told the civilians to run and hide and the military to get into gear.

In retrospect, I should have pulled the lever to close the gate first.

My military, which was two hammerdwarves, two marksdwarves, a speardwarf, and a swordsdwarf, took their toll. in the end, only two axegoblins and a speargoblin got to the squishy civilians. The military, of course, was a complete loss.

For about five minutes, there was complete chaos.

In the end? Lots of lives lost, including several legendary workers. One tantrum, did not last long; no spiral was generated. Miasma up and down the staircase. A wave of immigrants, and I realized that I had survived.

Now I just need to re-build the military, the lost workers, and get the brave/unlucky dwarfs buried.

Also, a ghost baby. Oh, boy...
...being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
...but what does [LAYER_LINKED] actually do?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13792 on: June 03, 2011, 08:27:14 pm »

Don't put the ghost baby to rest. It will grow up and become a ghost child, and someday a ghost man.

In what may be the most depressing thing to happen in this fort, a militia captain just threw two successive tantrums, killing one of his pet war dogs while in the midst of each. He was then thrown into jail, where he threw ANOTHER tantrum, and killed his only remaining war dog. Friendless and petless, he fell into melancholy. The guard finally released him two years later, and he immediately rushed outside and jumped into the river where he promptly drowned.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: June 03, 2011, 09:53:44 pm »

From the journal of Deduk Crowedstake, Expedition leader of Nationbridges:
This fort, Nationbridges, is definitely my most successful one yet! :D
Especially my dwarves' happiness, almost everyone is escatic, apart from a few. The only unhappy moment, which resulted in a small tantrum spiral, was when some moron went insane because I forgot to get them the things the voices commanded them to get. :S
But I have metals being churned out now.
The only problem... I think goblins might be extinct in this world. *sigh* Oh well, there are still kobolds... And I'm sure I can find some ingenious way to find trouble. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13794 on: June 04, 2011, 01:47:54 am »

My bookkeeper went fey and produced an artifact with a very disturbing and filthy name: 

Not that I'm complaining about this. I was recently bemoaning the lack of a legendary armorsmith. But still... she kinda scares me now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:50:30 am by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: June 04, 2011, 03:02:44 am »

Preparing a nice tomb for my recently caved-in going-to-die-soon ex-Legendary Miner/Starting Medic! :(

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13796 on: June 04, 2011, 06:33:45 am »

From the journal of Deduk Crowdedstake, Expedition Leader of Nationbridge.

I'm using DireForged mod, hence the Wuradi, Shellok, Cravasi etcetera. Still my best fort ever! :P I worked out metal and glass! Now for pumps, and maybe traps! :D No goblins about, sadly, but in light of recent events I think perhaps I can expect a Wuradi invasion...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:35:54 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13797 on: June 04, 2011, 07:52:40 am »

Finally designing a fortress rather than just building it. Currently carving out a hospital, dining hall and a barracks. Later, I'll design dorms for the peasants and a few rooms for nobles etcetera.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: June 04, 2011, 09:38:01 am »

It is such blood-lust that are precisely the reason I'm hesitant over what to do with the Wuradi. Perhaps she's right, and I should simply kill him... I don't know, it seems barbaric to me. I am thinking something more worthy of a noble, even an enemy one... Perhaps a large fall from the top of our magnificent tower?

Okay, read the bolded bit there. That was my evil plan to execute my annoying wuradi diplomat, who was seemingly stuck at my fort... So I got the manager to stand out on this narrow plank of wood sticking to one side of my tower, with a door at the end.
She runs through the door, it's locked, so mister Diplomat is stuck. I set a woodworker to deconstruct the piece of floor holding it on.
Now, I knew this idea was going to be !!FUN!!, and yes it was, two poor dwarves below got squashed and several injured. Whoops, didn't expect it to land there. Anway, the thing that confused me is, in the combat logs I see people getting engulfed in Magma?!
How did that happen? The diplomat punched through a few floors, but not THAT far. :?
Booze is Life for Yoink

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13799 on: June 04, 2011, 09:38:42 am »

Hey dwarfs, just leave the seeds where they are and plant the ones that are closest to you!  I don't need you putting every damn one in a bag when you have a fort full of violent ghosts and rotting corpses to clean up!

Edit:  I just got a migrant named Kivish Fortressweakened.  Something tells me I should get rid of this guy NOW.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:31:04 am by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 3842