Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6114467 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13755 on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:04 pm »

Another ambush arrived, composed of goblin bowmen and led by a single goblin hammerman. Once again, there were two idiot nobles outside the gate for some reason and rather than run to safety they instead ran around in circles just outside the walls...meaning that we didn't even get to raise the bridge in time.

The militia commander valiantly rushed out to meet the enemies head on, and her dogs were all soon killed. As I type this, she is slowly crawling along the path, defended from the entirety of the ambush only by a single, valiant hunter who is standing his ground atop the bridge, raining moose-bone bolts down on the enemy.
The rest of the squad is chilling out by the trade depot for some reason, despite having been ordered to move onto the bridge.

Edit: And after finally repelling that last ambush, another one immediately appears. And both squads are performing that damned "Soldier <Cannot Follow Order>" tasks :/
FUN!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:08:17 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13756 on: June 02, 2011, 01:38:36 pm »

Hahahaha, yes!

I caught the goblin general in a cage! What shall I do with her once the siege is broken? sealed beneath the river while still alive like the other caged goblins? displayed in my meeting hall? something worse?

I need ideas, gentlemen.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13757 on: June 02, 2011, 01:40:00 pm »

Hahahaha, yes!

I caught the goblin general in a cage! What shall I do with her once the siege is broken? sealed beneath the river while still alive like the other caged goblins? displayed in my meeting hall? something worse?

I need ideas, gentlemen.
Let her keep her equipment. Construct a grand arena out of the way somewhere, and then pit her into it and make her fight to the death against various creatures you capture in the caverns.

OR construct her cage in the meeting hall. That's fun, too.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13758 on: June 02, 2011, 02:22:28 pm »

I built the Child Cyclops I caught in my meeting area .. awesome :) "The Cyclops Has Come!".... and ended up a glorified coffee table :D

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13759 on: June 02, 2011, 03:02:20 pm »

The dwarves of Roastring have figured out a solution to our minor overpopulation problem: Flipping out and murdering each other. Experience tells me my very nearly 200 dwarves will eventually reach the much more manageable number of 5 or so, all hardened so they won't tantrum anymore.

Also, the goblin general escaped due to general incompetence from both me and the dwarves. Perhaps her close run-in with death will convince her to stay away, along with her soldiers.

...Ya, that sounds like something that could actually happen.  ::)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13760 on: June 02, 2011, 04:06:41 pm »

A Glassmaker had a mood and claimed the only glass furnace I had built. Everyone else is busy, so unsurprisingly he went insane before I could build a second one and make glass blocks for him. That was a few months ago and he's still running around babbling.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13761 on: June 02, 2011, 04:08:14 pm »

After one and a half week of digging the Death From Above project was finished.
Pull the lever !!!
Nothing happens.

Hours of fiddling later...

Pull the lever !!!

Game hangs for 3 minutes..

Two entire floors of my fortress collapse, completely destroying my clown-overrun lower levels.
It was a smashing (sic) succes ! Dozens of clowns are crushed, but there are an amazing two survivors and a pet hen for mysterious reasons.
Unfortunate sideeffect was the swamping of a dormitory full of dwarfs with !!magma!! killing 6 horribly.
Setting up a final cavein for the last two die hards...time to put those 25 wandering ghosts to rest  :D

Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13762 on: June 02, 2011, 04:19:39 pm »

After one and a half week of digging the Death From Above project was finished.
Pull the lever !!!
Nothing happens.

Hours of fiddling later...

Pull the lever !!!

Game hangs for 3 minutes..

Two entire floors of my fortress collapse, completely destroying my clown-overrun lower levels.
It was a smashing (sic) succes ! Dozens of clowns are crushed, but there are an amazing two survivors and a pet hen for mysterious reasons.
Unfortunate sideeffect was the swamping of a dormitory full of dwarfs with !!magma!! killing 6 horribly.
Setting up a final cavein for the last two die hards...time to put those 25 wandering ghosts to rest  :D

register the movie, and let us seeeeee... pretty please? *_*
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13763 on: June 02, 2011, 04:28:07 pm »

My magma reactor's still in he planning phase, but I've found a suitable spot for building. now my only issue is to discover exactly how to melt the ice. If you have to thaw it from below like I think you do, that's problematic. Also It looks Like I'll have to pressurise magma to make this look the coolest. ugh. !!Science!! is hard.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13764 on: June 02, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »

register the movie, and let us seeeeee... pretty please? *_*

I'll give some pics instead  8)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13765 on: June 02, 2011, 05:16:43 pm »

a dwarf drowned while chasing a kabold (it was stupid..) so when winter came I decided to dig him up at give him a proper burial. What I didn't realize is it had turned to a ghost and I was just releasing the ghost...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13766 on: June 02, 2011, 05:51:19 pm »

Digging the shafts. Fortress is a pattern of circular shafts going from the surface to the underworld. Aboveground, I'm building dough-nut towers around the pits, and putting walls between towers. Underground, I'm making several mini-forts with burrows, radiating out from the shaft.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13767 on: June 02, 2011, 05:58:30 pm »

112 dwarves, usually at least 30 idling at any given time. Lack of work is the culprit, but what the hell should they be doing? I have nothing interesting to accomplish, no goal. Suppose I should be constructing some magnificent death machine and testing it on the enemies that have so far only sent a few thieves...

Luckily that last migrant wave brought me three or four new stoneworkers to create a grand mausoleum/temple to Armok. I'm going to dig and engrave a new floor every year. Too bad it's starting ~8 years in.
The mayor is demanding things we don't have right now, as usual.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13768 on: June 02, 2011, 06:20:27 pm »

112 dwarves, usually at least 30 idling at any given time. Lack of work is the culprit, but what the hell should they be doing? I have nothing interesting to accomplish, no goal. Suppose I should be constructing some magnificent death machine and testing it on the enemies that have so far only sent a few thieves...

Luckily that last migrant wave brought me three or four new stoneworkers to create a grand mausoleum/temple to Armok. I'm going to dig and engrave a new floor every year. Too bad it's starting ~8 years in.
The mayor is demanding things we don't have right now, as usual.
Time for a reelection in light of your mayor's untimely demise.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13769 on: June 02, 2011, 06:57:46 pm »

Well actually a caravan just arrived that usually carries what he's asking for, and I needed some of the stuff anyway, so she can live, for now.

Unfortunately they just brought along our first siege: ogres.

Even more unfortunately we just suffered the very first death (of a dwarf) in the whole ~8 years we've been here. Murdered by a lowly wyvern pack that wandered into a room he was in. though they could be spies for the ogres... I'll deal with the three locked away in there later. Right now it's the siege and the trade. The elves and their gnomeblightMy ability to seize goods and inability to sell goods I stole will provide the wealthcapacity for further theft for the trade.

Well at least they won't argue with my guards.

Also, a possessed child just made a wooden figurine of a queen of our civ.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:09:57 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 3842