Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6114088 times)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13695 on: May 31, 2011, 10:51:17 pm »

I just spent 10 minutes designating items  for trade one by one... then 40 minutes waiting for the broker to get to the fucking depot. I disabled every one of his labours, then put him in a burrow that covered nothing but the depot. He did nothing.

In desperation, I designated the whole fort to the same burrow and set it to 'anyone may trade'. Still, no-one bothered to do any trading. Out of the 100 dwarves standing on the depot with nothing to do, not one of them bothered to talk to the merchants standing right next to them.

Guess what happened next? "The merchants have departed on their journey"

I NEED TO GET RID OF THESE ITEMS! I've been trying to sell them for about 5 hours but it's so hard to get them and the broker up to the depot... my FPS is at 30 and falling, and I want to free it up by losing these items but I just can't...

*Bursts into tears*
[Signature]

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13696 on: May 31, 2011, 10:59:26 pm »

When Roastring was founded, 2 female dogs were brought. They were spared from slaughter to wait for a male. five and half years later, one just arrived.

Reginald Charming

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13697 on: May 31, 2011, 11:03:54 pm »

Attempting to create a multilayer obsidian farm to fuel future megaprojects.  Design needs some work, as it ended up creating free floating blocks of obsidian on the upper layer of magma I pumped in, which promptly plummeted several z-layers through the floor, opening a magma leak into the caverns that incinerated most of the life down there.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13698 on: May 31, 2011, 11:05:43 pm »

Accidentally crushed a baby and my shaman  (doctor), which means I have to find their names and engrave their slabs (bah).

I have 3 exits for the merchants, but apparently goblins are psychic for locked doors. They've also exhausted my cages, and my death tower isn't tall enough to instantly kill everyone, so I'm building spikes below. Until I have a lot more cage traps free though, I'm stuck with permanently locked doors and my guard protecting unauthorized goblins from sneaking along with entering merchants.

Though... merchants aren't having an easy time getting in anymore.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13699 on: June 01, 2011, 04:16:26 am »

My wrestler is still barely alive with 23 arrows stuck in him but it's just a matter of seconds..

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13700 on: June 01, 2011, 05:38:00 am »

Couragetools looked good - sandy plain with short volcano, and magma surface 1 z level down.

Channel out a bit of the volcano for building rock (I want a castle around the volcano) Tobar the Miner somehow manages to cause a collapse and finds both a lava lake and raw shiny stuff, under 40 levels of magma...

It's hard with only one miner.  This may be the first fort in a very long time I'll be glad to see migrants...

Still, I'm paving over the magma surface, and will have copper and glass weapons soon.  Possibly with only 6 dwarves.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13701 on: June 01, 2011, 05:53:04 am »

I just spent 10 minutes designating items  for trade one by one... then 40 minutes waiting for the broker to get to the fucking depot. I disabled every one of his labours, then put him in a burrow that covered nothing but the depot. He did nothing.

In desperation, I designated the whole fort to the same burrow and set it to 'anyone may trade'. Still, no-one bothered to do any trading. Out of the 100 dwarves standing on the depot with nothing to do, not one of them bothered to talk to the merchants standing right next to them.

I NEED TO GET RID OF THESE ITEMS! I've been trying to sell them for about 5 hours but it's so hard to get them and the broker up to the depot... my FPS is at 30 and falling, and I want to free it up by losing these items but I just can't...

*Bursts into tears*

Atom smasher would help you. A lot
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: June 01, 2011, 06:08:30 am »

*Bursts into tears*

Yup, it will easily take care of those 100 idlers.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13703 on: June 01, 2011, 06:29:22 am »

*Bursts into tears*

Yup, it will easily take care of those 100 idlers.

magma would be better.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: June 01, 2011, 07:03:09 am »

Couragetools took a turn for the worst.

Accidental magma spillage started an impressive wildfire, taking out the outside food, wood and booze piles, killing the trader and burning the fat off most of the others.  Then a river diversion accidentally flowed into the magma pool, with great hilarity ensuing.

Interestingly, it's about then all the animals turned on the dwarves.  Also, the jeweller went to sleep in a flooding level and drowned in her sleep, and the other miner beat his pet chicken to death.

But because of the mist from the river flowing into the volcano, they were all very happy, despite the rotting muddy corpses...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: June 01, 2011, 07:09:02 am »

My new fort, Nationsprings, just had its second group of migrants, led by a husband and wife.
They were following each other so closely (on adjacent tiles) that they must have been holding hands; I like to imagine the big, burly and bald swordsdwarf Alath Nishlaltur leading her weedy, mason husband by the hand into the unknown! :D Made me smile.

The fort itself, despite a very un-auspicious start which involved my hunter getting torn apart by an alligator, (I could only watch in horror as he tried to claim the turtle the thing just killed :/ ) seems quite promising!
I have metal-making ores in abundance, I think, so I plan to FINALLY get a metal industry happening! :) Hopefully.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: June 01, 2011, 08:16:27 am »

*Bursts into tears*

But I also want items from trading.

I sort of feel that atom smashing is cheating a bit too.
[Signature]

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13707 on: June 01, 2011, 08:22:45 am »

Champion went berserk in the barracks, I'm not sure why.  I think he was wounded and depressed by his surroundings.  He was promptly struck down.

I've smoothed and engraved the barrak walls and floors to prevent a repeat.  I am setting up battlements on my perimeter wall.  I have not had an ambush for a while, so I am expecting a siege any day now.

For some reason, my dwarves still won't haul animals to the animal stockpile.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: June 01, 2011, 08:33:39 am »

Our second group of migrants has arrived, bringing two Cheesemakers and a High Master Miller. They were just settling in when I got an announcement that a cavern has been discovered on level -34, despite my dwarves not having mined down below-12 at all and there being nobody below -2 at the time. There appears to be some magma and water down there, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that the world is about -180 levels deep. I think I might have to go submit a bug report.
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13709 on: June 01, 2011, 09:01:37 am »

For some reason, my dwarves still won't haul animals to the animal stockpile.

Check 'u' option in stockpile settings (under 'q'). Disallow empty cages. Make a seperate animal stockpile with only empty cages.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 3842