Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113982 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13650 on: May 29, 2011, 08:39:54 pm »

Well, just had my first third-generation marriage in Hallhealer.  Our fortress now has grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins...soon enough great-grandparents. 

One of our legendary mace lords died of old age at age sixty-six.  There's something to be said about a soldier who's served for 20+ years dying peacefully despite being in active service to the very end.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13651 on: May 29, 2011, 09:22:36 pm »

I might have made it out of the tantrum spiral alive.

3 dwarves:
Fikod - he's been fine lately. He's currently keeping busy making coffins

Tun - he is known for creating a legendary clear tourmaline engraved with the ascention of some historic dwarf. He's currently possessed by a ghost dwarf, and stuck in a burrow.

Lokum - She is a child. She's miserable, but hopefully her "tends to avoid crowds" will keep me in the clear with her. She's currently mourning in the statue garden/coffin room.

Armok forbid I ever make a sheriff though, they each must endure a beating and hundreds of days of prison.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13652 on: May 29, 2011, 09:42:03 pm »

Making a welcoming wide welcoming bridge over my 29-tile deep Major River canyon, with statues and such that isn't connected to any levers of death, or anything like that, for all the migrants and their fifty billion children.
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13653 on: May 29, 2011, 11:02:49 pm »

Becoming a Capital requires a Road Value of 7500, apparently. I guess I'll pave the entire surface of the map with stone. Really get under the elves' skin.

The problem is my floodgate-based switch-controlled defensive wall makes a road leading straight into my fortress impossible.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13654 on: May 30, 2011, 12:09:04 am »

Ceilingcat has crumbled, but rather fittingly, it was overcome by 40 or so elite White Tigermen.

The Bridge Protecting Us From Invasion didn't work, as, strangely, a Rhino was standing on it.  Which makes sense if you've played enough forts.

I've also removed the Fortress Defence Mod, as some invasions are good, but I was getting a rather large Vile Force of Darkness every season, right after a merchant appeared.  See merchant - activate burrow was how it worked.  It's hard to run a fort when invaded that often...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13655 on: May 30, 2011, 12:12:43 am »

The Bridge Protecting Us From Invasion didn't work, as, strangely, a Rhino was standing on it.  Which makes sense if you've played enough forts.

I have to sig that, as it made me laugh more then anything else this week  :D
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13656 on: May 30, 2011, 01:21:30 am »

I've decided to do a thing. 
I'm going to have my miners form a secret society, kinda like the Freemasons, but with miners.  These miners will live in a special burrow, which nobody else may enter (except maybe a special cook or brewer).  Their HQ will have tunnels that lead all over the map, and all sorts of important levers.  In my imagination, they will make all decisions for the fort.

Their children, should they have them, will either be miners or members of an elite, top secret military unit.  I'm picturing them the DF equivalent of the Men in Black.

So yeah, I'm working on that.  This is what happens when I play Dwarf Fortress, watch X-Files, and watch National Treasure all within a short timespan.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13658 on: May 30, 2011, 06:36:22 am »

I've decided to do a thing. 
I'm going to have my miners form a secret society, kinda like the Freemasons, but with miners.  These miners will live in a special burrow, which nobody else may enter (except maybe a special cook or brewer).  Their HQ will have tunnels that lead all over the map, and all sorts of important levers.  In my imagination, they will make all decisions for the fort.

Their children, should they have them, will either be miners or members of an elite, top secret military unit.  I'm picturing them the DF equivalent of the Men in Black.

So yeah, I'm working on that.  This is what happens when I play Dwarf Fortress, watch X-Files, and watch National Treasure all within a short timespan.
That sounds to me like a formula for complete win.  I was thinking of something similar with my... well... masons (who also tend to engrave or mine as well).  You've inspired me now.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13659 on: May 30, 2011, 07:18:25 am »

Draining the giant lake, draining the giant lake, hiho, hiho, its 1fps we go!
Magma is overrated.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13660 on: May 30, 2011, 07:39:57 am »

we all lost to the sindrome which came in, the sindrome which came in, the sindrome which came in.
it came in through a forgotten beast, a forgotten beast, a forgotten beast.
luckily enough i misplaced the mist generator, the mist generator, the mist generator.
So the survivors ended living in a yellow fortress yes, a yellow fortress yes, a yellow fortress...
which is kind of a leaking submarine.
a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine...we all live in a yellow submarine. >.>
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13661 on: May 30, 2011, 08:45:23 am »

My Countess and Count Consort both mandated clear glass items on my sandless 40D fort.

FFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffff. . . .

I decided to play dwarven marriage counsellor, and locked them into their adjoining rooms until they sort things out.  Fun fact--Nobles appear to teleport into their own tombs.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13662 on: May 30, 2011, 10:12:19 am »

Their Sarcophagi are their phylacteries, they're resting there until the new body arrives, and they can reattach their spirits into a new corporeal form.

In other news, my fort has lost about 2/3 of it's population (Previously 150) to mass murder-age brought about by my Emerald Caterpillar of doom that slaughtered 2/3 of the military (yes, that number keeps repeating, it's freaking me out) almost all my useful legendaries are dead, my Mayor is a legendary bone carver, and my manager/bookkeeper is a s legendary stonecrafter. (Admittedly, with 60 jillion elephants to processes, bonecarving is a handy skill)

So now we're rebuilding, mostly it's just tables and so forth that need to be repaired, beds to be expanded, since it seems the tantrum spiral was exacerbated by the fact that they were set up in a dormitory. Almost all my miners are dead, since they got pimpslapped by my Captain of the guard before she was slaughtered herself and they went on a pickaxe murder spree. My Planter went around beating people to death, causing much of the initiating factors of the sorrow, which sucks since I had cages and forgot to set up a jail. I'm ignoring justice for now, since most of the useful still alive dwarves are murderers, if out of most likely self defense.

I managed to survive, I think, by Conscripting the still sane, not-pissed-off dwarves into impromptu doctors who ran through the melee dragging their comrades to safely while dodging bolts, pickaxes, and fists. Naturally, casualties were high, but most of them were migrants from earlier in that season so it's not a terrible loss, I managed to patch up enough to stabilize the population, and the death of most of the instigators led to the mood starting to calm down. Enough to start burying the dead anyways, so I rapidly started to throw bodies from the graveyard into proper coffins, not fast enough to prevent a lot of dwarves from going insane with grief, but enough to keep ghosts down to only a small child. I slab'd him into the afterlife and now aside from the mayor and manager screaming at each other everything seems to be getting ok.

Unfortunately, what I thought was an aquifer turned out to just be a pond, so the elaborate sewer I built to allow renewable, cleanable water to my hospital is completely useless.

I'm thinking of creating a new fort with an aquifer, I forgot how much of a hassle starting without one is. I like intricate and complicated water systems, so running a fully dwarf power fort is difficult. I like being able to recover functionality and run a fort with 20 dwarves where it would otherwise take 200. It makes life simpler when it all goes to hell. It also allows really awesome defense mechanisms, like toggleable defense systems, which can be taken down to run tests, or run repairs/modifications.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:32:16 am by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13663 on: May 30, 2011, 12:39:51 pm »

The Desert Devils have found me.
Come at me, you idiots.
Your thieves failed, what makes you think you will succeed?!
My pistol men are waiting.
Also, an angry baby beat up a skeletal duck.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13664 on: May 31, 2011, 07:41:20 am »

Just walled off a substantial area of the map.  My fort entrance is tucked between the arms of a mountain.  My guard tower in front of the entrance is slowly growing.  I am effectively building Helm's Deep, or maybe Isengard (Angrehost to you traditionalists). 

I am outfitting my dwarves with Steel Hammers as well.  I think I need to expand my shooting ranges.

Also, the Countess's baby (now an orphan) has gone from Miserable to Content.  Apparently, some dwarves are feeding the little tyke.  I am hoping she grows to become a child before she starves.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 3842