Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113871 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13635 on: May 29, 2011, 05:06:43 am »

I'm thinking of building new fort entirely out of microcline but I'm not exactly sure if it's going to hurt my eyes too much

Better than my attempt with cinnabar and olivine...

Anyway, the name of my latest fort both disturbs and amazes me;

How can I live up to this name? Or should I not even attempt to get there?

Frankly, all that's outstanding at the moment is the sheer amount of dead lungfish refuse, which is overwhelming the entire fortress...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: May 29, 2011, 05:19:52 am »

I'm thinking of building new fort entirely out of microcline but I'm not exactly sure if it's going to hurt my eyes too much

Frankly, all that's outstanding at the moment is the sheer amount of dead lungfish refuse, which is overwhelming the entire fortress...

Make the highest part of your fortress a large cat breeding ground. White or clear fur only. Leave holes in the floor so the cats can watch your dwarves make... things. Enjoy your FPS taking a huge hit.

Eventually, a cat will fall from a hole due to overpopulation and fighting. Then make a "fall from heaven" joke, paint the cat black with sliver dye and relocate it to your basement.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: May 29, 2011, 06:57:22 am »

After two forts cleaned out very very early by Tigermen (thanks, Fortress Defence Mod), I finally got organised, and my green glass and copper weapon traps, with additional wooden weapons, worked well enough to herd most of them into the waiting cages.

Not only do I have a selection of copper, bronze and steel weapons and shields for The Fed Axes, but I'm finding out that Tigermen need to drink, and am enjoying watching them die of thirst in cages.

Evil, or what?

Edit;  Tigerman bodies don't get dumped - I have to put them in coffins to get rid of them.... Serves me right...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:08:53 am by Pukako »

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: May 29, 2011, 07:34:51 am »

>my fucking face when I embark on a volcano with visible hematite, marble, and bituminous coal deposits while playing the fortress defense mod

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: May 29, 2011, 07:52:53 am »

The current mayor, a soldier who got elected, wanted clear glass items. I made him a coffin for when he eventually dies.

Almost done with sealing off the first cavern layer.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: May 29, 2011, 08:22:45 am »

snip
Isn't it stagnant because it doesn't flow around in the bucket? :P I'm more worried about my cistern, it lists everything as muddy. Should I have smoothed it all before running water through it or something?
Smoothing wont stop growth.  You should paved the entire floor before flooding it.  I've had lots of troubles due to this and now you do too haha :D

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: May 29, 2011, 09:41:39 am »

Just figured out that all 4 floors of pumps for my magma trap were installed without leaving a hole for power flow. Now I need to go back, deconstruct all 160 of them, open the holes in the floor, rebuild the pumps, and convince my idiot workforce to remove all of the excess pipes, screws and blocks that were left after they decided to use materials from stockpiles halfway across the map rather than the ones that were lying around on the floor after deconstruction.

Desk, meet face.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: May 29, 2011, 09:45:50 am »

A goblin snatcher somehow made it past my war dogs and into the fort. He then attempted to walk into the barracks and snatch the militia commander's child. I'd just given all four of my current soldiers steel axes, so none of his limbs remained attached for long.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13643 on: May 29, 2011, 03:46:34 pm »

A goblin snatcher somehow made it past my war dogs and into the fort. He then attempted to walk into the barracks and snatch the militia commander's child. I'd just given all four of my current soldiers steel axes, so none of his limbs remained attached for long.

this made me roll.
it's kind of like...
"okei snipkot, go and stiel child"
"yesh dark sheer"
*mission impossible music theme while he silently makes his way better than Snake himself through the fortress*
"...dark sheer not told me child who take...SHINY MOM'S CHILD IZ BETTER I THINK!!!!"
*broken bones-limbs-blood after*
last words:"now know why dark sheer says no thinking...we stupid"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: May 29, 2011, 04:02:36 pm »

I forgot that pumps don't bring water to the above Z-level, they brought it to their own Z-level.
Boom.
Water everywhere.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13645 on: May 29, 2011, 04:28:41 pm »

Totally underestimated (again) the amount of work required for the 'Bring Down The Sky' project. Lost a few more that walled themselves in or got ripped apart by angry ghosts.
The four sieges right after another is not helping. Two got turned away by bolt volleys, but the third one brought things to a head.
Their single elite crossbowman put 2 bolts trough my best marksdwarf's eyes enraging me so I gathered my dwarves, opened the gates and charged outside. An epic 50 versus 10 battle ensued with my 2 surviving dwarves eventually sending them running for the hills, leaving about 35 dead behind.

It was glorious. Killed the crossbow gobbie as well  :D

I then realized it was autumn and 3 of my dwarves had drowned in my moat, leaving their irreplacable steel armor at the bottom. If winter came, it would all be destroyed as the moat froze over !
I managed to drain the moat just in time and am currently installing an insta-drain system. Before I had a chance to do this however, the 4th siege arrived. I quickly got some extra guys suited up and manned the walls.
With everybody so busy with the megaproject pulling defense levers is not very high on the agenda these days so the trolls walked right into my undefended escape tunnel catching me completely of guard. Luckily, I had had the forsight to chain a giant desert scorpion there. It tore three trolls apart and the rest retreated, allowing a dwarf to finally pull the lever to raise that bridge. It is heavily wounded but it lives 8) Adding some more weapon traps there now.
Then a marksdwarf ran out of bolts and ran out of the fort to beat a goblin's head in with his crossbow. Panicking I lowered the gates and charged out, this time supported by some of my war grizzly bears. Amazingly, after a hard fight my only casualty is a broken left foot (and about 6 dead grizzlys).

I hope I can get a little peace and quiet now please ?  :P
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:42:54 pm by LuckyLuigi »
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: May 29, 2011, 04:48:05 pm »

A giant three-eyed chickadee came along and tore my axedwarf's arm off. She's "incredibly quick to heal", though, and even though she got thrown into wall just after her arm came off, she got back up immediately. She didn't have TIME to bleed. Not only that, but she picked up her axe with her other hand and chopped it to pieces.

She's now wandering about with one less arm and refusing medical treatment, although she's not spewing blood... Wonder if her arm will grow back or something =P
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fortress of FIERY DEATH?
« Reply #13647 on: May 29, 2011, 06:16:20 pm »

All repairs to the magma hall pumps have been completed, and a preliminary test was conducted with dfliquids and a spare copy of the save file. The setup works well, leaving a total of three casualties: 1 mason, 1 goat, 1 cat. However, it is clear that a constant supply of magma is necessary. Savescumm'd, and work is about to begin on the pumpstack that will bring that delicious red cool-aid magma up to the surface where it can kill people. I just need to make sure to roof over the soon-to-be storage tank, we don't need any more fires like the last one that rampaged across the map after a certain mason decided to open the service entrance to the pumps for Armok knows what reason.

On another note, the massively oversized 100 wheel reactor still has 6866 Uristvolts of power remaining, far more than I will need for the magma pumpstack. Any suggestions. (Also, considering relocation of well, as the generator is sucking the entire river dry. Maybe I went a bit overboard compensated for possible damage.)

Cheating a bit to get a level depth for the magma sea, I found that I will only need to build a 42 level pumpstack. Huzzah!
On the other hand, I need to build it through three cavern layers that are more like massive, embark-covering underground lakes. Fuck. HUZZAH!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: May 29, 2011, 06:21:53 pm »

I just wanted to say, that is the greatest fortress name ever. See if you can make a crude ASCII rendering of the ceiling cat. Bonus points- make it a REALLY GOOD rendition.

Kraftwerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13649 on: May 29, 2011, 08:33:20 pm »

My embark is a bad news, good news, bad news, type of situation. Bad news: I embarked in a scorching hot environment. Good News: There's a river right by my fortress. Bad news: That river is the only thing separating me from about 15 elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 3842