Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 907 908 [909] 910 911 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113901 times)

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13620 on: May 28, 2011, 11:40:40 am »

Trap was completed and I digged the clowns free. Now my fortress died:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:'(

Edit: closed a drawbridge - FPS now back at 30. But I'll lose lost 5 dwarfes. And now there are about 40 miserable dwarfes.  :-\
Edit2: magma fiend exploded and destroyed my drawbridge - fortress is doomed now.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:59:11 am by Thorus »
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13621 on: May 28, 2011, 11:51:37 am »

Oh damn.

Also, I just learned a valuable lesson about Goblin-held daggers and noob-militia. One single thief versus eight militia members, most of whom were armoured, plus at least four war animals and a few pets and the Goblin killed TWO Dwarfs and wounded a bunch of animals before the Militia Commander was finally able to stab her head off. After her death the second Dwarf died, he had been stabbed through his upper body  into the middle spine, bruising nervous tissue. He dropped his halberd and shield, fell over and eventually suffocated.  :'( :'(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13622 on: May 28, 2011, 12:33:24 pm »

Yak Cow has gone berserk!

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13623 on: May 28, 2011, 02:21:57 pm »

"Apexrushed the Rhythm of Subtlety," a clear tourmaline bed. Assigned to the expedition leader, who married a miner.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13624 on: May 28, 2011, 03:22:05 pm »

i built maybe most awesome fort i've ever had but then i lost it to siege because i had forgot to set weapon traps and my numerous cage traps weren't loaded due cage shortage.

then i reclaimed and tried to revenge my loss by killing their champion. He slaughtered everyone except my expedition leader who was injured and went to former hospital. There he layed injured and a goblin bowman was sleeping on the bed next to him.  fucking gobbos. nothing is enough.

http://postimage.org/image/xx756n8/there's picture
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:29:57 pm by dwarfhoplite »

Heavily Armed Effigy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13625 on: May 28, 2011, 05:02:02 pm »

A new fort, totally unprepared for any sort of battle, gets ambushed by a few goblins. I sent my legendary miner out with a steel pick and the only bits of steel armor the fort had. The goblins proceeded to murder half the fortress before Urist McHero got equipped, and she valiantly ran out to get her spine broken before getting in even one hit. Now she is bleeding on the ground, surrounded by all of the goblins, being bashed in the head repeatedly, with just about all of her parts broken. Hopefully the caravan comes and saves the fort before she dies :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13626 on: May 28, 2011, 05:36:17 pm »

DF physics are slapping me in the face, now that I know the full effects of fresh CLEAN wellwater in healthcare I can't stand to be without a clean source of water.

But now it is taunting me.  No matter how I build my cisterns the water always comes out stagnant. 

Well directly over a flowing river? Stagnant.
Well dipping down into a 2 z-level deep cistern?  Stagnant.
2 deep cistern modified to constantly be flowing? Stagnant? WTF?

Is it possible for a river to only produce stagnant water regardless of conditions?  That seems...odd.  Maybe I should try a cavern water source.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13627 on: May 28, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »

Maybe I should try a cavern water source.

Stagnant as well. I have a few pits in a 1-z-level deep lake and the buckets are filling with "water laced with mud"

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13628 on: May 28, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »

The guard/sheriff was killed in the last goblin ambush, so I assigned that task to the leader dwarf. While everyone started tantruming though, he decided "hey, this is a good time to party!". I unassigned those statues, and then when that didn't work I gave the job to a separate guy.

The first thing he does is go over to the leader and punch him so hard that he dies.

The second thing he does is go to the (chained) shaman (doctor), and punch him so hard that he also dies.

The secretary, who is in the hospital, goes insane. She promptly slaughters everone who is trying to recover. I could have locked the door, but after reviewing WHY she's berserk, I decided to let her go. She was also beaten by the same sheriff until her hand was broken. That guy was one of my worst appointments ever.

While I let the guy out... the sheriff also went berserk. He was caged, and the other guy locked in the statue room.

I had another ambush while trying to manage the dwarves. I did make a single lever to lock us off with a bridge, but the insane population was just too large - no one got to it.

My last two dwarves were a chained melancholic dwarf, and a farmer running around babbling. My strength has been broken this time.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13629 on: May 28, 2011, 06:48:57 pm »

My adventures in trying to find a non stagnant water source continues.  Built a well in my mining chamber despite my surface fort challenge. (It's for science so it dosn't count)

Surprisingly nobody used it.  No idea why.  They all preferred to drink straight from the stagnant water of the river.

Now it's personal.  I'm going to build the ultimate in water purification technology.  A screw pump.  Pumping into a 2 z-level deep 100% constructed cistern, rigged with a flow generator.  Lets see THIS be stagnant.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13630 on: May 28, 2011, 07:38:58 pm »

37 years of Hallhealer...I don't know if I can let this fort go once the new version comes out.  Not yet.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13631 on: May 28, 2011, 08:02:20 pm »

"Bring down the sky" 80% completed. Entering the most dangerous stage now.
Thought I'd doomed my fortress but it was only 10 dwarves dying of thirst *whoops*
Ghosts were beginning to appear in crazy numbers so I gave up and started laying some of them to rest.
Unfortunately, the most bloodthirsty ghost still haunts the main booze stockpile.

He's killed 2 dwarves and 3 children by now  :o
Drink or death, tough choice.
Just had a dwarf pull the self defense lever 5 seconds before the goblins got in...
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13632 on: May 28, 2011, 08:11:40 pm »

37 years of Hallhealer...I don't know if I can let this fort go once the new version comes out.  Not yet.

No worries, I still have 20 years old fort running in 40d :P

Just kinda cannot drop it.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13633 on: May 29, 2011, 04:35:26 am »

snip
Isn't it stagnant because it doesn't flow around in the bucket? :P I'm more worried about my cistern, it lists everything as muddy. Should I have smoothed it all before running water through it or something?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13634 on: May 29, 2011, 04:48:12 am »

I'm thinking of building new fort entirely out of microcline but I'm not exactly sure if it's going to hurt my eyes too much
Pages: 1 ... 907 908 [909] 910 911 ... 3842