Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113474 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13530 on: May 22, 2011, 09:55:37 pm »

Crazy goblin ambush. They killed I think a war dog, a hunter, and a soldier, but that was basically it.
That started a whole freaking tantrum spiral.

However... they didn't murder each other. No... they just murdered dogs. The problem is that EVERYONE owned war dogs. Some stopped drinking altogether and died of thirst. Some went berserk and killed a few dwarves (and more importantly, their dogs).

A single dwarf + 2 dogs survived the spiral to the point that the outpost liason came. He, being the only dwarf left, was given all the fanciest rooms I had (moderate quality). I gave him cushy jobs like engraving his own room and drinking good booze. It wasn't enough, and shortly after he talked with the liason, he went berserk as well.

Note - war dogs, in all their glory in their masses, can be major factors causing tantrum spirals.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13531 on: May 23, 2011, 12:03:20 am »

Yeah, that is an issue. I don't know if Toady intends to make it so that War dogs dying in war doesn't set off a massive tantrum spiral... I kinda hope so.

But there is a way around it. If you get someone to train a war or hunting dog, it'll follow them around but they won't claim it.

I'm busy carving out a nice massive fortress for myself. Planning on rigging up a way to set fire to the entire outside world when I'm done with this; I have a volcano, may as well use it!
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13532 on: May 23, 2011, 12:14:35 am »

Had an ambush cut off 1/3 of my fortress population causing a light tantrum spiral only killing about 20 dwarfs, 10 of them being victims of one berserk hammerdwarf who took 3 recruit wrestlers to take down. Besides that the fort is now on lock-down mode with 3 ambush squads idling outside, a siege party having a bonfire at the gates, a berserk dwarf locked inside his bedroom (who is now starving and dehydrated), and ghosts stealing all our discarded socks.

EDIT: I also have a cat walking around with broken lungs, the poor thing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:32:36 am by Zruku »

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #13533 on: May 23, 2011, 05:14:11 am »

Disaster has struck Soargold, a city of 250 of Armok’s people. The impenetrable defences had their first real test today; scores of goblins riding foul beasts rampaged through the surrounding duchy. Nearly slaying a devoted beekeeper who didn’t think he needed directions. The hordes were obstructed by the impressive obsidian wall, enclosing the thriving city. They instead chose to rush the southern (and only) gate and were immediately met with a hail of bolts and arrows. They proceeded past the unmanned ballista battery unconcerned by their heavy causalities and were again ambushed by archer squads perched on the battlements above. Snaking through the maze of volcanic glass fortifications, they employed ogres to attack the twin golden doors guarding the entrance to the side room housing the trade depot but were foiled by the quick raising of a drawbridge. They were forced further into the maze, crossing a bridge that, by happenchance, only fell away to reveal the pit below when no invader was on it. The dwarves of Soargold were at a lost with the mechanisms designed by their fathers and attempted at random to find the correct mechanism to lure the goblins into, fill, and then empty the aquatic appendage amputator. Their plight was quickly cured by the discovery of forgotten labels hidden on each lever. In the confusion, one lever raised and then lowered the golden bridges inside the fortress, designed to seal a breached entrance from the residence and industrial areas of the fortress. Two dwarves, a baby and a gem cutter, and a small puppy were crushed and their remains lost. While the dwarves were concerned with the invasion through their gates, a crack team of axe goblins atop tamed cave crocodiles sole into the stream and entered undetected through the pump room. They cut off the archers along the walls and broke through the aqueduct’s viewing window and flooded the upper portions of the wall. This reduced the pressure of the system and deprived the aquatic appendage amputator of its full effectiveness, but it still had the serrated discs even if they were not operation in a marine environment. The captain of the guard and his dwarves were sent to deal with this sudden situation and gave no mercy. Although the magma pumps were not utalized, nor the siege weapons, the defences of Soargold need improvement. The water intake needs traps and a grate to deter and eliminate aquatic trespassers and reduce the risk of the aquatic appendage amputator being sabotaged, and the bridge/pitfall trap needs work to increase its effectiveness. Only two dwarves were lost and these were caused indirectly by the siege and due careless use of the clearly labelled mechanics.
The improvements will be tested the next time the goblins try our defences.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13534 on: May 23, 2011, 06:42:47 am »

I'm building a small, mostly aboveground fortress based around the idea for an outpost location in a story (wahay for DF having multiple uses). I wanted, mainly, to know how it would work.

Mining out some stone, I hit the caverns five levels underground. Whuuut?

Time to wall off.

edit: not two seconds after posting this, mephits and a dread troll. Great.

Edit2: Abandoned. I probably could have continued but I didn't feel like it after a while.. it served it's purpose.
Fire mephits started a bunch of fires, burned everything to the ground made of wood, my dwarves flat out refused to wall off the caverns. I got bored.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:40:20 am by MasterMorality »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13535 on: May 23, 2011, 07:02:12 am »

I had a panda wander into my fort. Yay panda meat!
Magma is overrated.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13536 on: May 23, 2011, 08:47:35 am »

I had a panda wander into my fort. Yay panda meat!

You're lucky it wasn't a panda woman. Those things are deadly. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13537 on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:48 am »

Yeah, you gotta watch out for those pandas  ;)

Important lesson learned : Don't build 2 lever rooms on the same level that are identical.
Thinking I was sealing the outer door I actually released the goblins in my arena cages. By the time I realized my mistake an all-out fight was taking place in my main hallway (Thank Armok I bothered to station my military there) as 30-ish goblins and 10-ish trolls merrily walked into the fortress.
While this was going on I was in the middle of my flooding operation of my massive underground forest...a relatively simple operation which somehow ended up using about 30 levers, an aquaduct trough a cavern, about 20 floodgates and hatches and the life of one unlucky dwarf that did not learn how to swim fast enough.
Trying not to flood my fortress while controlling the battle at the gate one of my miners decided to accidentally unleash the HFS. I managed to seal that off but about 30 dwarves lost their lives. Now I will have to build a gigantic cave-in to destroy that entire level or something.

Overall I lost about 50 dwarves and 10 more to tantrums...most hectic DF session ever for me. The only reason I haven't spiralled yet is that I tend to keep my dwarves fairly busy. I completely forgot to trade with the dwarves because of all the mayhem, while still desperate for iron and steel *doh*
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13538 on: May 23, 2011, 09:15:50 am »

A few things happened in my newest fort (almost 2 years old now) in a 3x3 flat, temperate woodland with a brook through the middle.

First, I dug a moat. Into the irrigating cistern for the underground farms. Again... That was my very first "big" mistake in 28.39something and I keep doing it again and again. Will I ever learn? Probably not. Oh well, no real harm done, it's mostly cosmetic mistake anyway. I'll just dam the brook next winter, channel everything out and rebuild it from scratch. Or rather from Schist.

Second, the reason for my defensive measures happened: Badgers. About 15 of them at once. Luckily, I brought some silver war hammers on embark and my miners dispatched them quickly without being hurt...
I usually look forward to the first migrant wave as it gives me the workpower to actually get anything done (aside from bare survival). In this fort, the first wave consisted of 6 migrants with various useless skills, ready for masonry, stone smoothing, architecture and furnace operating. They appeared at the northwest corner of the map, less than 100 tiles from the fort entrance. With them appeared another horde of badgers that promptly attacked and got enraged. I immediatly activated my milita (3 miners and 1 woodcutter with novice military skills from previous encounters of the badger kind) and sent them to help... too late. One migrant got killed, one got his right leg ripped to shreds (died later) and a few pets are dead too. The best fighter was actually a baby Alpaca pet that heavily injured one badger... when my militia arrived, the badger was dead and the alpaca too injured to be healed. Not a big achievement, but a lot better than everything the migrants could do.
I'll build Alpaca statues at the fort entrance... to remind future migrants that even a baby pet can be more useful than them.

Third, I came around to rebuilding the brook, cistern, moat and everything that got destroyed previously, channeling out big pieces of land and frozen water. And again, a mistake that I repeat again and again: Didn't check for trees on the floor above. In short, a piece of ceiling with a tree collapsed, and hit two miners... one was injured (one broken arm, a head injury and some scratches) and the other dead. The dead one was my chief medical dwarf and only doctor that had helped with the mining, because there was nothing to do for a doctor yet. I guess, the injured miner will be the first one to assist in the training of a new doctor... he will be missed.

When a fort starts out like this, I already know that it's going to be a lot of Fun later :)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13539 on: May 23, 2011, 10:18:40 am »

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"
Okay, I'll just close our outer doo- Well, shit. There are lizard remains there.

I quickly designate two walls be put up, one right next to the carpenter's and the other behind the door to the wood stockpile. The first wall is rapidly built thanks to a nearby supply of stone and masons but the carpenters are lazy as fuck since they've been hanging around at the zoo ridiculing caged invaders and skeletal yaks and goats in the other fucking end of the fort in Southern Towerrocks. The carpenter's don't make it to the building site in time forcing the squad I've stationed in the wood stockpile to retreat to the secondary finished goods stockpile. Another wall is set up near the entrance to that stockpile with stone this time and thankfully in time as well. But not before two people who have been on break fail to retreat with the squad and make a futile sacrifice by throwing themselves into the malevolent arms of six to seven trolls. I move the fortress to DEFCON 2 and station all squads at the zoo near the secondary entrance where I'm preparing to spear-pit the invaders.

That leads to the entire, most experienced First Hammerdwarf Squad commandered by the militia commander to stupidly head out through the secondary entrance to go to a "Fighting Demonstration" at the barracks in Northern Towerrocks, now overrun by trolls, and right into the entire fucking army of Mordor. That subsequently leads to me forbidding everything outside and desperately raising up the bridge at the spear pit, fully realising two unconscious trolls have survived the fall and could just wake up and head up the stairs since there's a hole in the wall. Which leads to me patching up the hole quickly and starkly recalling that there's still a path for the invaders at the primary entrance to enter.

The trolls could still break down the door north of the wall next to the carpenter's workshop. Hastily, I build a wall behind that one. I feel pretty safe now. So I move the fort down to DEFCON 5: locked up in our fort. What's left of the first squad gets to train with the Fifth Wrestler Squad. Meanwhile, the trolls down in the pit have awakened and are wreaking havoc down there, destroying a wall grate. So, to end their pain (and they are in pain!), I going to drown them in a watery mixture of goblin, beak dog and troll blood. Unfortunately, no one has managed to even start working on the water wheel I told them to build a couple of months ago. And since the wood stockpile is now in the hands of two dead dwarves and the Army of Doom, the dwarves will have to resort to dwarfpower. Ten dwarves are told to start manual pumping action, but it still takes some persuasion to get all of them to do it. Water start to flow and fills up the spear pit but the trolls have already moved to the still dry drainage tunnel. Thus the drowning plan is failure and I'm forced to just have the trolls take a bath in their kin's cyan blood.

When I head back to the surface, I notice that all the dwarves are gone. I quickly look around the fort to see where they've all gone t- Crap. Disaster has struck. Apparently, I have had a brain malfunction when building that stone wall next to the carpenter's and when remedying the door problem. The trolls have still managed to break down the door and for some reason I've forgotten they could still move diagonally. So now, while the fort is in DEFCON 5, everyone not assigned to the barracks in the supermax wing, Southern Towerrocks, excluding the Second Crossbowdwarf Squad who are in Northern Towerrocks, has either decided to rush towards the primary entrance and grasp for fresh air, or is on their way to the food stockpiles for food and drinks while the deadly Deathsquad composed of Troll administrators, more trolls and Goblin Hammermen riding Beak Dogs are pouring through the one tile crack in our defenses. Every single squad is ordered to rush to the fray before the entire civilian population of the fort is brutally murdered.

Meanwhile, I get a report that a floor grate has been destroyed. I take a quick look in the drainage tunnel and see that the trolls are no longer there. Instead, they've fallen through the hole, upon which the floor grate was on, and are now swimming through the underground lake, completely trapped.

The squads are reaching the primary entrance. At this point, there's no more time to build walls. There's only one thing left to do.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which results in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And the execution of the traitorous cat who decided to leave lizard remains at the outer door at the primary entrance that prevented me from locking it.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13540 on: May 23, 2011, 11:30:05 am »

My Pump Operator began irrigating my farms by pumping from the lake - and predictably jumped into the water in order to escape the... water. I was sure he was a goner, since the nearest ramp up was 8 tiles away. I discovered how useful the swimming skill really is.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13541 on: May 23, 2011, 11:58:33 am »

My Strictly controlled Horizontal layout minifort * continues downwards, already had to orchestrate a cave-in through the upper cavern's lake bed, now im constructing a loooooong stairway (5x5 landings around each level) down through the chasm of the lower caverns vertical depths.

Rules: The fort cannot go beyond the 20x20 NS-EW layout, up and down expansion only allowed.

My Fort shall pierce the earth and heavens, a sentinel of Dwarven might and ingenuity amongst the Skeletal-Ducks, eyeball-grass and wormy tendrils.

EDIT : Damnit, i just checked the Civilisations screen- apparently there are no Goblins.... fffuuuuu. Was enjoying this map too. Guess my challenges will have come from below.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:35:24 pm by hjd_uk »

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13542 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:33 pm »

I love my hospital, saved me the trouble of training yet another team of axedwarf. Hourray for fixed hospitals.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13543 on: May 23, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »

Just opened my modded hell, and visibly I am only having striges (giant mosquitos, and LOADS of them), nightmares (flaming black horses) and frost wraiths (ice gargoyles).

Well, the first attack didn't happened. I had to build a stairway down to hell for the fliers to path into my fortress, right into my artifact door/*menacing iron spike* trap. (lol exploit)

And there's a lot of them. Also they rape my FPS, and I don't get any of the other demons strangely...

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13544 on: May 23, 2011, 02:44:13 pm »

FPS picked up after we got rid of our mugs and a bunch of clothing.  5,000 mugs and an indeterminate amout of goblinite have been traded over the past 8 years...pretty soon we'll have cleaned things up enough to get our crafters working again.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 3842