Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 896 897 [898] 899 900 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113180 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13455 on: May 20, 2011, 11:26:42 am »

Human caravan arrives as the fort is besieged by 15 Goblin Bowmen, one Goblin Pikeman and one Beak Dog. Bridge at secondary entrance has been raised, sharpened-spear-drop death trap polished. Traps active at primary entrance doors. Fort is pretty much secure as long as they don't find someway to break down doors since someone decided to drop off their clothes on the doorstep of the inner door. Stupid door won't close.

The merchants didn't make it as they were quickly pelted with arrows.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:34:21 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #13456 on: May 20, 2011, 11:58:25 am »

"Mandates: Make Lungfish tooth items (3/3)"

Mayor, you deserve a new room. Free magma included!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13457 on: May 20, 2011, 12:26:19 pm »

"Mandates: Make Lungfish tooth items (3/3)"

Mayor, you deserve a new room. Free magma included!
"Mandate: Make nickel silver items (1/1)"

Copper, swimming in it. Zinc, we'll smelt some cages. Nickel, none as far as one's eyes can see.

Mayor, this is the second time you've asked for nickel silver items, but as you surely can recall we didn't have any nickel last time and most certainly won't be able to get any in any time soon. But don't fret, that magical lever over there will summon forth all the nickel silver your heart can desire. It will even fill your heart with warmth!

*runs off to a corner*
*Mayor enters room*
*Mayor pulls lever*
*Mayor leaves room*

Blast! That infernal pressure plate never gets the correct time delay for that bridge! Why can I never get the damned Mayor to take a 17 Urist plunge into magma! WHY!?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:29:32 pm by da_nang »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13458 on: May 20, 2011, 12:27:14 pm »

-delete-

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13459 on: May 20, 2011, 12:44:20 pm »

Blast! That infernal pressure plate never gets the correct time delay for that bridge! Why can I never get the damned Mayor to take a 17 Urist plunge into magma! WHY!?
I suggest strategic and manual use of doors for that.  :D
Don't care if it not as good as a fully automated burninating chamber, as long as it gets the job done!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13460 on: May 20, 2011, 01:10:04 pm »

Moved the pressure plate 2 tiles towards the lever. Result: Delicious noble death.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13461 on: May 20, 2011, 01:18:11 pm »

Right now? military is playing with skeletal walruses and stuff in a curious structure. One dwarf got surrounded and had many many attacks bounce off her adamantine armour. There were weak points however, she is still alive but missing 3 teeth and 2 arms ;)
I want to see how her son grows up, what with his father being lost in combat a while ago, his younger sister dying as a baby in a FB attack and his older sister being abducter by goblins, lol

I had a FB on this same z-level who I trapped in a pit (theres a ramp out but a drawbridge over it all currently). Plan to release the clowns and I may let the beast out then and see what happens..

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13462 on: May 20, 2011, 01:28:51 pm »

Well, after having failed to lure the invaders into a deathtrap and subsequently waited several months for them to leave, the siege has finally been lifted.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13463 on: May 20, 2011, 01:35:12 pm »

Even better than my previous embark.
Flux, magnetite, platinum and lignite.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13464 on: May 20, 2011, 02:28:39 pm »

Turned off invasion for the moment to get some things done and get rid of the excess golbinite laying around. Work on the pyramid temple is progressing slowly, while Project:Dam-&-Reroute the Brook is going smoothly since winter came. Just need to put in a few floodgates to make sure I don't flood the Queen's chambers prematurely. Also trying to train up both my smiths and my miners before digging into the rest of the delicious cotton candy we found.

In addition to all that, I've breached the caverns and I'm now currently digging down for magma. Soon I shall have forges worthy of my little kingdom. Mwahahahahahahaha!

Eirik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13465 on: May 20, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »

my current fort ,in a terrifying area, seems to be going well. found gold and iron still got water and food and am yet to have seen an invasion. although iv yet to see any invasions.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13466 on: May 20, 2011, 03:06:49 pm »

Turned off invasion for the moment to get some things done and get rid of the excess golbinite laying around. Work on the pyramid temple is progressing slowly, while Project:Dam-&-Reroute the Brook is going smoothly since winter came. Just need to put in a few floodgates to make sure I don't flood the Queen's chambers prematurely. Also trying to train up both my smiths and my miners before digging into the rest of the delicious cotton candy we found.

You don't need to worry about training up your miners. Every square of candy leaves rock candy, even with an inexperienced miner. It's special that way.

You may actually want to use inexperienced miners when digging out candy, so your legendaries stay safe if you dig too deep.

Of course, it never hurts to train up miners, anyways.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13467 on: May 20, 2011, 03:38:03 pm »

Another Goblin siege! Wow, they're really trying to bowl me down. Never seen such violent rage from them before!

This one was slaughtered with relative ease... After a squad of Goblin bowmen and swordsmen chopped their asses up on my disks, they retreated. Unfortunately in order to get them to path faster I'd left the doors unlocked, and so now I had idle dwarves coming out into the entrance hall to gather the refuse.

One of these haulers was a member of the only two families in my fort. He was the second brother in a family otherwise filled with little girls. I picture his brother grieving at the loss, of his big brother who had intentions to lead their adorable little dwarven siblings to a life of glory. Now only young Avuz remains to carry on as a role model for the young'uns.

(although, the older sibling [Momuz Tanlikot] was only a planter... and when he first grew up I had tried to recruit him into the army. He was later discharged when someone more suitable for his role came. Guess he wasn't saved from war after all.)

On from this tragedy, my danger-room trained but otherwise green army went out to slaughter the goblins and ridiculous amount of trolls set to besiege them. One of the Axe lords, Mafol Satkubuk, decided it would be fun to run off into a horde of trolls by himself whilst the rest of my squad went out on the other side of my entrance hall to kill a few wandering trolls/crossbow goblins. He fought quite well against them, blocking every attempt they made to gore him, but some of the crossbow goblins were still hanging around, and eventually one caught him in the shoulder. Needless to say, he passed out from pain, after which the trolls began pummeling on him and finally breaking him. He was finally killed by one of the crossbow goblins with a shot to the head... apparently around the adamantine helm he wore and into his tattered hood.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13468 on: May 20, 2011, 03:52:24 pm »

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

Double siege. Awesome. 15 Goblin Hammermen and eight Trolls are advancing from the west. 15 Goblin Bowmen, two Goblin Elite Crossbowmen and a bajillion Beak Dogs advancing from the east. Two of the trolls have already managed to rush through the secondary entrance but luckily got caught in the cage traps. I'm raising the bridge though, buy some time. On the other hand, the two doors at the primary entrance won't hold against anything, thus any available masons are to wall around that part. If I'm lucky I can lure the invaders into a 7 Urist drop onto spears.

EDIT: Trolls have blue blood?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:55:49 pm by da_nang »

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13469 on: May 20, 2011, 03:57:06 pm »

Hallhealer, 331.  The year begins well with a marriage between two second-generation dwarves; the goal is to make it to the century mark at a minimum to observe dwarven genetics.  I also altered them slightly to share the same longevity as humans (for purposes of military-related style goals).

The current mayor has held the position for 21 years.

Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 896 897 [898] 899 900 ... 3842