Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112886 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13425 on: May 18, 2011, 05:42:27 pm »

Desperately trying to build a magma smelter to make some axes so I can make some beds for my dwarves to sleep in before they go nuts and slaughter us all.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13426 on: May 18, 2011, 06:01:02 pm »

Desperately trying to build a magma smelter to make some axes so I can make some beds for my dwarves to sleep in before they go nuts and slaughter us all.
If you have any wood at all (including your wagon, if it hasn't been deconstructed yet), you can create a wooden training axe that will function exactly like a regular axe for cutting down trees.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13427 on: May 18, 2011, 06:09:11 pm »

Casualties of Tribeslings:

-- 2 babies meatshielded in the Danger Room (I should be more careful when drafting recruit into the militia)
-- 1 child impaled in the Danger Room trying to haul discarded equipment
-- 1 melancholy butcher died of thirst (due mainly to losing her meatshield)
-- 1 slow lye maker burned my magma (he was pressed into engraving work to tap the volcano for magma kilns)
-- 1 random leatherworker had his arms cut off as punishment for violating an export mandate
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13428 on: May 18, 2011, 06:53:16 pm »

My legendary Metalcrafter got ambused - right outside the gates and bled to death :|.
The ambush was quickly delt with but... no more masterwork silver goblets for me.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13429 on: May 18, 2011, 07:46:03 pm »

I'm reclaiming Swordhall.  The place is infested with friendly goblins and humans, who were both sieging me when my strength broke.  These Friends include the human General.  I will find a way to trap and torture him.

I have about 200 corpses that need buried.  Their ghosts are battering my dwarfs.  I never realized that "battering" included ripping people limbs off.  But then again, this is DF, so I should have assumed so.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13430 on: May 18, 2011, 08:53:07 pm »

Alright, so i've learned a bit more about this disease. It isn't fatal, thankfully, at least in most cases. All it does is cause blisters really. I guess blisters are fairly fatal when you get them in your spine, but when they stay on your hands and feet the doctors have something to work with.

I wonder how many more will be afflicted. I've already had two dwarves in the hospital with these blisters.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13431 on: May 18, 2011, 09:17:10 pm »

Still having abandonment issues and trying to figure out a good balance with the init settings. Just abandoned a giant fort with 150 dwarves (~100 were continuously idle). It was a pretty fort, mostly due to having invasions turned off and buying as much metal as I could before they started complaining that I should be a barony. Barony's don't import as much metal. Then I made a quick fort that trapped in the first 7 inside, leaving those outside to fend for themselves while I exploit the wonder that is magma.

Hmm... how to be interesting. How to be interesting indeed... I need a project.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13432 on: May 18, 2011, 10:00:52 pm »

Hmm... how to be interesting. How to be interesting indeed... I need a project.

Drop a giant plug into the magma, and laugh in delight as the surface is covered in burning, magma, and death.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13433 on: May 19, 2011, 03:46:16 am »

My first time having installed weapon traps with masterwork mechanisms and 10 serated iron disks in combination with a "dodge trap" as my fortress defense. Works like a charm.

Goblin limbs anyone? 8)
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13434 on: May 19, 2011, 06:20:47 am »

That was my plan, and up to now it's worked quite well.

Then I embarked on an incline and no wagon. Fortunately I have not only Native Copper, but Tetrahedrite coming out my ears, as well as having embarked with two copper cages for melting. Didn't expect to have NO WOOD. Fortunately I just have to do a little channeling at the top of the volcano to get magma for the forge and smelter.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13435 on: May 19, 2011, 06:59:07 am »

My current embark actually has all the requirements for bronze! And all has gone well. Except for one thing. A stone crafter was walking over a frozen murky pool as it defrosted. he drowned and it took half a year to get it drained and the body recovered.

It seems though that was too long even now the remains are buried. his ghost now haunts the poolside. Which has become a large moat of sorts to hold back sieges during the summer months. He stands right by the bridge standing vigil. Alone and restless.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13436 on: May 19, 2011, 07:16:00 am »

I made a small tower.
I feel so proud of myself!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13437 on: May 19, 2011, 07:29:15 am »

I made a small tower.

ohhhhh how cute *_*
now burn it in magma and make it out of obsidian. That will mark your entry in dwarfenhood.
then reapply magma and look at magmafalls.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13438 on: May 19, 2011, 07:57:00 am »

I made a small tower.

ohhhhh how cute *_*
BUT IT'S WRONG!!
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13439 on: May 19, 2011, 08:04:47 am »

I find myself running an experiment to see if human diplomats go insane when they can't leave the map because they keep getting scared and run away from goblins (and clones of goblins I modded in just to have more sieges). I've got 3 sieges piled up in front of him and the only direction he can run in is back into my fort. I've modded out all ranged weapons except for dwarves so there's no chance of them killing him, but he won't be able to leave for a good long time. I've only got 30 marksdwarves, so even with a loop system to force everyone to eternally[1] go round and round while we freely shoot at them it's going to take ages.

[1] Well... until all these weapon traps jam but only one goblin can test them at a time due to my bridge.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 3842