Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112542 times)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13350 on: May 15, 2011, 06:26:01 pm »

A few hunter-immigrants arrived and took care of the draltha problem. They have now been made into soap.

My first thought upon reading this: "I hope he meant the dralthas." (Confirmed by reading further, of course.)

In Dwarf Fortress though, you never know...

currie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13351 on: May 15, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »

First immigration wave has arrived, 8 dwarfs. I'm ready for them and they have bedrooms and sufficient space carved out for me to cater for any off-the-wall labours. Everything good, everything dandy.
20 Tamed Animals

What. The. Hell.
I now have 15 Dwarves and 35 Animals living with them. Anyone want steak?

Also, my hunter immigrant is amazingly accurate. He can hit a rabbit in the leg at 2 paces.... every, freakin' time. There's quite a lot of rabbits to and he keeps jumping between them. Nothing like a cute little bunny dragging itself about by its forelegs as it's hind quarters smears bunny blood across the grass.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:19:58 pm by currie »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13352 on: May 15, 2011, 07:37:49 pm »

My strength broke during two simultaneous sieges (according to Legends, the goblins got the win, not the humans).  I went back to look through my accomplishments, and I happened to come across the queen of the Enchanted Canyons, and noticed she'd killed 63 elves.  I guess she was an adventurer, since she doesn't appear to have ever been involved in an invasion.  I can't wait to have her come to my fortress when I reclaim!
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13353 on: May 15, 2011, 07:38:31 pm »

First immigration wave has arrived, 8 dwarfs. I'm ready for them and they have bedrooms and sufficient space carved out for me to cater for any off-the-wall labours. Everything good, everything dandy.
20 Tamed Animals

What. The. Hell.
I now have 15 Dwarves and 35 Animals living with them. Anyone want steak?

Also, my hunter immigrant is amazingly accurate. He can hit a rabbit in the leg at 2 paces.... every, freakin' time. There's quite a lot of rabbits to and he keeps jumping between them. Nothing like a cute little bunny dragging itself about by its forelegs as it's hind quarters smears bunny blood across the grass.
It's too bad rabbits are useless wastes of fps.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13354 on: May 15, 2011, 07:42:25 pm »

The Hero of the Abbey of Sorrow, Aeren, has been made a baron. As the troops prepared to deal with a bronze colossus, a great three-eyed snake with chocolate scales appeared in the caverns below. The colossus could wait.

A small band of ten easily slew the monstrosity, though Tirist Rashkivish lost an arm in the process. Oddly enough, she still hasn't bothered to see a doctor.
"Lefty" (who I previously thought was dead) and two children have visited the hospital. It seems their limbs are rotting off, and their eyes are swollen with blood. Why this is, I'm not sure. They were nowhere near the snake, and they didn't track through any ichor. The only other beast in the caverns is in the second layer, which I've yet to explore, and I haven't seen the slug for (real life) days.
Past experiences with this odd affliction tells me that they're going to die.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13355 on: May 15, 2011, 07:44:23 pm »

Well, the elimination of unwanted pets went somewhat less than perfectly. I designated a pasture in the corner of my sky fortress and deconstructed the floors around it. A few dwarves fell too.

The pattern of blood and dwarf chunks on the ground was pretty, though.

currie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13356 on: May 15, 2011, 08:03:10 pm »

It's too bad rabbits are useless wastes of fps.

Why do you think I'm hunting them? I have enough livestock to feed Moria itself for an era. Another migrant wave came. I'm now to 22 dwarfs and 45 assorted animal (not including my egg-layers.)

Oh shit. My butcher just died of thirst. I was too preoccupied with migrant-rants. -.-

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13357 on: May 15, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »

Finally, my mason gets to work on his artifact. Total number of supplies he's using: 520 stones, and a piece of wool cloth. Let's see what he makes...

Naturaldissolve, a marble weapon rack. Worth 1183200!

Very nice.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:19:22 pm by Samuel »

currie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13358 on: May 15, 2011, 08:24:18 pm »

22 dwarfs just died of thirst. Well.. I say thirst. I really mean being beaten to death. Here's a running death tally with a starting population of 22.

I ran out of drinks but didnt realise.
My butcher died of thirst. (1)
Brew!
I can't brew because I have no barrels. (2)
Make barrels! (4)
Brew! 5 drinks! yes! (5)
All the drinks are in one barrel, one drink at a time.
3 manage to get drinks and totter away to go to drag bodies outside.
The next in line dies of thirst, unhappy thoughts (6)
His wife goes insane due to thirst, death of loved one, really hating eggs -my main food source and pests.
Wife is also my hulking sheriff/miner/militawomen.
pick, bite, pick, punch, pick, pick, headbutt. (18)
Wife drinks some beer, hunts down remaining 3 sane people despite being badly beat up from the brawl. (21)

Abandon fortress.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13359 on: May 15, 2011, 08:36:24 pm »

Just had two freakin' sieges: One of centaurs and the other of demons.

Lost my first military commander (who was a marksdwarf...) and two others. There's about four other dwarfs from my militia dragging themselves back to the fort after the battle and they are not looking well. Also, all my injured dwarfs seem to be making a beeline to the well in my hospital instead of using the beds. FML.

Upside, we've got tons of meat and leather now. 8D

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13360 on: May 15, 2011, 08:52:55 pm »

My current embark is a nice jungle, or something, with lots of elephants. My hunter was awful at his job. He kept winging these Elephants, crippling them, not killing them, running out of ammo in his crossbow and then leaving them to hunt a completely different elephant. Some recovered, some just kinda stayed crippled and motionless, but didn't die. This all changed when I gave my hunter some dogs. He started killing giraffes instead, and actually managed to do some damage. He still kept winging elephants though.

On one occasion one of the hunting dogs didn't stop attacking the elephant once the hunter had given up to get more ammo. It stayed there, got a little beat up, but eventually knocked the giant beast unconcious. Then started attacking it. And attacking it. AND attacking it. For hours. Days. Weeks. Months. A Year. A year and a season. It took the hunting dog A YEAR AND A SEASON to kill this elephant.

Something had changed though. This wasn't any normal hunting dog anymore. I noticed it when I saw the incredible speed it now moved. At least twice as fast as a normal hunting dog. I went to check its descriptions for clues as to why

His third right rear toe is broken...
His third right reat toe is smashed open...
He is gigantic with incredible muscles...

No real clues

So I just have to guess that 15 months of solid elephant mauling must have muscled up this dog into a premier animal

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13361 on: May 15, 2011, 10:05:04 pm »

Dog cancels Do Anything Else: Powerleveling.

My experimental fort, Paintedseeds, has rebounded fully from the events of my last post (at the end of which something like 80 dwarves were dead) and has become a county. Since I have elected not to bury or memorialize most of the dwarves--even still, the above-ground tower has a whole level devoted to coffins, and the frequent goblin sieges and ambushes leave no shortage of dwarf corpses littering the landscape--a steadily increasing number of ghosts now inhabit the fort, many of which periodically take limbs off of or kill the living dwarves. Unfortunately the ghost of the dwarf who went into a fell mood and made a dwarf bone ring out of a baby and who liked to scare people to death as a ghost was accidentally put to rest.

Just a few z-levels of progress has been made on a magma pump stack: I have no idea how other people do it, this shit is time consuming. I was hoping to have a magma doom lever to melt goblins on the surface like in Boatmurdered but since I've put hours into figuring it out with so little progress I have decided I will try to bring the sieges to the magma rather than bring the magma to the sieges. I will make a staircase down to about the level of the second cavern, at the bottom of which will be a big chamber with iron bridges sealing off both escape and entry to the fort proper. A magma pipe will let out directly over the center of the room. Iron statues, preferably of forgotten beasts and night creatures, will be displayed prominently in the room, as though to announce to the goblins that they are about to be sent to a very miserable afterlife.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13362 on: May 15, 2011, 10:41:08 pm »

I made the mistake of designating a jail after 28 years of violated mandates...fortunately I saved beforehand because I wasn't quite ready for a reenactment of the Stalin era in my fort.  I'll wait a few more years before that because it WAS pretty fun seeing dozens of dwarves imprisoned/killed for their crimes.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13363 on: May 15, 2011, 10:55:07 pm »

I made the mistake of designating a jail after 28 years of violated mandates...fortunately I saved beforehand because I wasn't quite ready for a reenactment of the Stalin era in my fort.  I'll wait a few more years before that because it WAS pretty fun seeing dozens of dwarves imprisoned/killed for their crimes.
You should put the people who violated mandates into squads together, and then order them to kill nobles and fortress guards in order to "defend themselves" when the time comes. You can have the whites versus the reds!
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13364 on: May 15, 2011, 11:06:57 pm »

I embarked in a 2x2 map, built a temporary encampment in the surface, and I'm digging out a big hole (when I'm done I expect it to cover half of the map, and be around 12-13z levels deep at least) next to the river. The idea is to build several towers inside, furbish them, and flood the whole thing (so that I have an underwater city). I intend to make the entrance underwater too, but optionally drainable (likely with a bridge arrangement)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 3842