Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112432 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13335 on: May 15, 2011, 09:03:25 am »

A ghostly baby rose and haunted my fortress.  I couldn't find it's name in the slab list so I had runesmithed it away. Turns out that it was indeed on the slab list, I just didn't find it my first pass through.  So it just comes back unnanounced a month later.  I don't notice and it kills somebody.

I start searching around and discover that I do indeed have a corpse for it.  And it's already in a coffin.   Then I remember how it died when it's mother hauled it into battle.  Probably haunting because sliced off bodyparts ended up in the volcano and never got fully buried.   After a second search through the slab list I did finally find it's name and put it to rest.

Still a creepy thought though, a ghostly baby crawling around the fortress missing limbs...killing people with fear.
That sounds horrifying, you should have let it continue to roam just for kicks~

I love it when dwarves act like real people. Which I guess might be always, because people in general are pretty stupid. But today a tribe of troglodytes attacked my bridge-guard. While most of them were caught by cage traps, one grabbed the squad captain, dragged him down off of the ledge, and proceeded to beat him via punches and kicks. As soon as the rest of the squad realized their captain was in trouble, they rushed down to help him. In the ensuing chaos, a swordsdwarf tackled the troglodyte and the two of them collided with a wall. The troglodyte broke many of the bones in his body, but so did the swordsdwarf. The difference was that the troglodyte lives and the swordsdwarf did not. A friend of his (who tantrum'd shortly after the fight) charged the troglodyte immediately after this, landing a kick in the troglodyte's stomach. He then proceeded to grapple the troglodyte, despite being an axedwarf, and then proceeded to beat the shit out of the troglodyte. He only stopped when another member of the squad decided to put an end to it and kill the beast. I imagine that he was crying while administering the beating.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13336 on: May 15, 2011, 10:53:50 am »

Things are looking brighter in Hoofrooms. The colony has been elevated to a barony. A few hunter-immigrants arrived and took care of the draltha problem. They have now been made into soap. For maiming and killing so many, their bodies will now retribute this by cleansing the wounded. The Giant Badgers are worse. Several fisherdwarfs were attacked and killed by a pack of giant badgers crossing over the mountain. Regular badgers are even more frequent. Recently one of them made it through the field of stone traps, into the meeting hall were it killed a child before being put down by the militia. At the same time troglodytes have begun appearing in the caves. They've made a few attacks through the unfinished cave entrance, quickly ascending the stairwell to wreak havoc in the fort. One peasant was killed.

But booze of all kinds and masterful prepared meals are plentiful. Rooms are being made so that soon every dwarf sleeps in a good bed. A fine hospital has been made to take care of the wounded, and a grand catacomb for those who couldn't be saved.  So despite the ocassional death the citizens are content.

Now, a human diplomat has arrived. The dwarves where aghast when seeing he is a noseless anteolope twisted into humanoid form.
"It's unpossible!"

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13337 on: May 15, 2011, 11:08:27 am »

Bellrings is 25 years old this year :) We're building a coliseum out of green glass and copper.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13338 on: May 15, 2011, 11:28:49 am »

While digging out some galena, the miners somehow triggered a cave in. One was crushed instantly, the other knocked into the mouth of the volcano by the blast. He was swallowed by the magma.

But, never a dwarf to slack when duty calls, he still found time to point out the magma sea and the other HFS he saw on the way.

Farewell, brave magmanaut, and flights of giant cave swallows sing thee to thy rest.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13339 on: May 15, 2011, 11:44:54 am »

The fort passed into the second age of legends.
I'm paving a Billon road to attract the Monarch ( my pop cap has hit though (200) )  and i have a legion of children and babies ( my dorfs just keep popping them out).

I just designated about 400 Goblinite items to be melted ( all Copper armour, weapons and some silver cutting weapons )
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:47:41 am by hjd_uk »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13340 on: May 15, 2011, 11:46:31 am »

A gigasiege of crundles.
Today's harvest was good.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13341 on: May 15, 2011, 12:42:56 pm »

Bustlobsters most experienced Armorer had just gone mad because of a failed secretive mood, and I have no idea why it failed.
He wanted shining bars of metal (3 or 4, guessing by the time the text showed up), and stacked leather(1 or 2).
We have everything in exess, but he refused to pick anything up  :(

I've seen glass, cloth and gem modds fail because the dwarf wanted something specific, that just was not there, but I have never seen this happen with metals or leather.

we have:
over 100 gold bars, 60 iron bars, and around 10 of billion, electrum, sterling silver, bronze, bismuth, black bronze and a few other metals.
20 bins are filled with leather of different kinds, all are unforbidden and standing directly next to my workshops...
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13342 on: May 15, 2011, 12:56:40 pm »

My one-footed Legendary Crutch-Walker AxeLord continues to kick gobbo ass. His named Candy Axe has killed 2 forgotten beasts so far (got 3 rocking around in the sealed caverns).

*PS : He can run faster on crutches than anyone else in the fort can with both feet.

PPS: There are troll parts on the roof above my trap-lanes.

PPPS: I just checked Therapist, i have 51 Juveniles ( 2 of which are legendary and another is in a strange mood )
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:13:40 pm by hjd_uk »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13343 on: May 15, 2011, 01:03:17 pm »

My siege engineer finally fired a ballissta arrow straight.  I would have celebrated.

If it wasn't for the fact that I accidentally left "fire at will" on and the arrow went straight, as in straight into the civilians cleaning up the garbage after the siege was over.

2 dead, 8 wounded.  Story at 11.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13344 on: May 15, 2011, 03:13:51 pm »

Due to an utter lack of wool or the knowledge of how to farm it, My strange-mooding mason is at serious risk of failing to build his whatever-it-is. The solution is to give him a burrow chock full of an insane amount of stone. He's been gathering for almost a year, while I wait for the Dwarves to bring wool. Maybe the humans will bring wool, I dunno.

I deleted the burrow after killing the elves in the hope they would bring something not useless. You can guess how well that went. Burrow back up. At least they brought about 40 booze, but still. Why did I ever stop killing those guys?

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13345 on: May 15, 2011, 03:26:53 pm »

My mayor went berserk.  I had forgotten about the fact that he was a hunter before he was elected, and that he still carried a crossbow and quiver.  In fact, upon closer inspection, those were the only two things he had.
So he ran around, naked, covered in dog pus, shooting everyone he saw.  There were only a few casualties, but one child witnessed the whole spectacle and went melancholy.

EDIT:
Tantrum spiral!!  Ever since a winged blob of ash (I'm imagining it looks like something out of Doom) died, everyone's been going berserk.  Especially military dwarfs and miners... (or maybe those are the only ones I'm paying any attention to)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:55:10 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Jakabite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13346 on: May 15, 2011, 04:37:56 pm »

All of my cats and dogs are helpfully suffocating. This is good, and I'm pretty sure it's connected to the way that the symptom 'Fever' seems to be spreading amongst the pets of my fortress. Not sure if this is because of a dead Forgotten Beast's 'deadly blood' that didn't seem to do anything, or if it's just some sort of random illness. Does this happen?

In other news, a number of workers are trapped in my partially completed but temporarily abandoned pump stack. I might rescue them if I can be bothered. My Baron just got struck with melancholy, presumably due to PTS, since one of his negative thoughts was something like 'recently witnessed death.' There again, he apparently no longer cares about anything he's that hardened, so I wouldn't think this would matter. I mean, this guy saw a recruit get strangled to unconsciousness by the wing of a flying snail, then have his head bitten off by it, how are the fairly boring deaths of late getting to him? Admittedly, his pet died and he witnessed it rotting. I expect he's just not happy with the life of a baron. What was I thinking? The man's a grizzled soldier, he doesn't want all this namby pamby baron rubbish!

In other news, my murder holes above my main entrance hall are done. Just need a siege now. 124 dwarfs, it should be coming any minute now.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13347 on: May 15, 2011, 04:48:39 pm »

Segregating dwarf population by Z-level based on jobs. From bottom to top:
Civilian
Dining Areas
Misc Crafts
Stoneworking
Smithing
Beating the living shit out of anything that gets past the entrance
Entrance

The second level houses the barracks, which will be full of steel-armored military dwarves. In order to get there, they need to travel through a pressure cooker and a dodge-this trap. The dodge trap will make enemies fall into the barracks, sufficiently crippled to be murdered by anyone who happens to be training there. In case it's an FB or something large falling in, I can retract the floor, and it'll stumble directly into a cistern full of magma.

I think I'm well-prepared. Bring it on, Fortress Defense.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13348 on: May 15, 2011, 04:55:40 pm »

I've just discovered that the water reactor filling system I've spent 5 years constructing is malfunctioning. 3 of the cells (600 power) have no flow, two because I filled them while the pumps were running (note to self: fill the cells completely and then seal them before activating), and one because the floodgate didn't close. Granted, 600 isn't that much when you consider the 20,000 power the completed reactor is capable of putting out, but I've only finished one and a half floors so far, so it still seems like a large dent.

Oh well, time to activate the completely untested magma works.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13349 on: May 15, 2011, 05:21:39 pm »

A few hunter-immigrants arrived and took care of the draltha problem. They have now been made into soap.

My first thought upon reading this: "I hope he meant the dralthas." (Confirmed by reading further, of course.)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 3842