Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 887 888 [889] 890 891 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112415 times)

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13320 on: May 14, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »

My dungeon master has been "utterly traumatized by a lesser's pretentious burial chamber lately". Seriously, he gets a 5x5 room, smoothed and soon-to-be engraved, while other dwarves get a coffin near the entrance of the bedrooms.

Something is going wrong here...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13321 on: May 14, 2011, 02:09:28 pm »

Yea, I've had that with my baron too, utterly traumatized.  (While sitting in his 3 rooms that take up the entire z-level of an area the size of a 1x1 embark, masterfully engraved, with 2 artifacts for furniture and everything else made of gem studded gold)

The only other folks with rooms are the elite military and half a dozen civs (all with 2x2 or 2x3) my administration nobles (3x3 rooms with a bedroom and office mixed into one room) and my mayor who barely meets his requirements.

I think what causes them to get pissed off is when a new mayor gets elected.  Suddenly this lowly meaningless peasant has 3 rather nice rooms in their name, and the other nobles don't like that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13322 on: May 14, 2011, 03:25:04 pm »

My latest embark was cut short by my dwarves' need to investigate the alligator-infested river.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13323 on: May 14, 2011, 03:25:35 pm »

Lustercloistered will be a fortress quite different from the usual. Rather than mined out, it will be constructed. And rather than being beneath the earth, it will be in the sky. The main floor is 23 z-levels above the surface, on z-level 162. 163 can be constructed upon, but I need a roof so that I can build furniture.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13324 on: May 14, 2011, 05:32:27 pm »

So my fortress is already what I'd call a sprawling metropolis. The entrance is trapped to fuck and back, I have like 90 dwarves, everyone's ecstatic, and only one death so far (he went into some kind of coma. I left him to die of dehydration...bloody fishery worker). The goblins haven't even shown up yet...

Because it's only like, year three.

I just got my first mayor, some lowlife who has two pages of friends because he does NOTHING all day long except hauling, and everyone who's not his friend is an aquaintance of some sort. I think his pet cavy may have something to do with it, too. Just when I started digging out his rooms, he made a mandate - for three millstones.

So now I'm using those as a finishing touch to his personal mayorly quarters. Because, hey, I've gotta leave them SOMEWHERE. And they'll probably bump the rooms to the quality levels they need, because my masons are pretty awesome.

It's good livin' in Gravelsnarling!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13325 on: May 14, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »

Well! As if having one of my legendary metal workers go insane wasn't enough, I accidentally defaced the mastery of another metal worker, this time an Armor by the name of Mosus Adilteling. I don't know what of his I smelted down, but (since he was in my elite military squad) after cutting a dog's throat open he went up into the barracks to freaking train. Whilst still tantruming.

Natually the captain of the guard was right on his tail. After the dwarf finally stopped to do his pushups of rage, the captain whaled on him ineffectively with his wooden training axe. Unfortunately, however, this wasn't good enough for the commander. He had to go the extra mile, and kick the guy's left arm into breaking.

This was an incredibly low move, considering the guy was missing his other arm entirely. He still had the use of his right arm, but instead of dragging himself down to the hospital where he murdered the street dog he simply plopped right down, still tantruming, in the middle of the barracks storeroom. The doctors all went up to him, washing his arm off and even getting as far as suturing his arm.

It was at this point that Mosus lost it. As the chief medical dwarf was wrapping up his arm, he got right the fuck up and started wandering around babbling, with his bone presumably still sticking out of his arm. He's now hanging out in my dining hall, dying a slow death. Since he WAS a legendary armorer, I've decided to dig him on of my honorary tombs instead of just throwing him in with the masses. He's a crazy bastard, but his short-lived glory of being legendary was enough to give him a place in my annals.

Update: Woah, creepy. My captain of the guard just went into a strange (secretive) mood. I'd bet my golden statue garden it'll relate to Adilteling. And even though his only moodable skill is furnace operating (don't actually know if that is, but it's the closest I can figure) he's claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:49:58 pm by Stoup »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13326 on: May 14, 2011, 08:07:51 pm »

The Forgotten Beast ena Lithemegife Apa Nethitha has come!  A towering toad with external ribs.  It has a round shell and it squirms and fidgets.  Its black skin is warty.  Beware it's fire!

My fort, which I thought I would have to reclaim, has settled down nicely.  Unfortunately, most of my jewelers are dead and many of my metalworkers are in prison.  I had some stuff I wanted to do involving metal and jewelry, so this is kind of a drag.

EDIT:  Oh cool, I just passed into the Age of Legends.   8)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:34:33 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13327 on: May 14, 2011, 08:12:59 pm »

My 2 stage defense worked like a charm !  :)
Well...almost. When the goblin siege showed up, everyone got inside the mountain aside from one hunter. I asigned him to the burrows behind the outer wall defense, but Urist mcSuicidal decided to finish his hunt first. By the time he was on his way back the goblin had slaughtered all by animals inside the outer walls...again.
I started building a nice coffin for Urist when he came down the mountain like Mozes on steroids and slaughtered half the siege machinegunning *bone yak-bolt*'s with his pack of wardogs 'latching on firmly'.
After a few deaths the goblins retreated and the hunter got safe behind the outer walls, completely unscathed. It was glorious !

To celebrate I build a 15z-pit and sacrificed most of my goblin prisoners to Armok. Amusingly, I forgot to lock the doors below so the last goblin survived the 15z drop, safely bouncing off a dwarf coming to pick up an arm. Sadly for him, the crowd that came running to get some troll furry hats gleefully sliced and diced him a few seconds later.

It is going suspiciously well so far...
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13328 on: May 14, 2011, 09:58:01 pm »

"Suspiciously well" is the term I would use for my fortress as well. No deaths lately. In fact I don't remember anyone ever dying... Haven't seen an ambush and I'm several years in and swimming in a sea of wealth, mostly composed of stone furniture, but still... It's not like I'm totally isolated from other civs: I get traders all over the place, from everywhere, but neither head nor hair of a goblins, kobolds, or any of the races i modded in. I'm scared to let my guard down, but I can only assume they're all starving to death or something to that effect.
I'm not training troops with a danger room, I've put them in squads of three and will leave them to spar until they're ready for a fight, which they may never even see.
Haven't found the caverns yet, and I bet they'll be swarming with forgotten beasts. That'll be fun.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13329 on: May 14, 2011, 10:23:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #13330 on: May 14, 2011, 11:57:16 pm »

The Forgotten Beast ena Lithemegife Apa Nethitha has come!  A towering toad with external ribs.  It has a round shell and it squirms and fidgets.  Its black skin is warty.  Beware it's fire!

Had one like this visit my latest fort, set fire to the entire underworld. But then I Dug Too Deep (cuz I'd never done it before with the latest version) and a far more immediate problem appeared.

Still trying to get the hang of the new military system. While I was digging down below, my bunch of dweebs was trying to kill a lone honey badger..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Disquiet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13331 on: May 15, 2011, 12:16:10 am »

So my fortress has been stalled for 2 years because I can't fill my water generator with water, which I need to power my pumpstack. I initially estimated this project to take 2 seasons at most, and I wanted to achieve this before the river froze in winter. How wrong I was. At first I decided to be lazy and fill it with buckets and dwarven labor (give all those useless idle dwarves something to do). Unfortunately my fort is built a rather long way from the river, so it was very slow. Then two goblin ambushes came, and after losing about 10 bucket hauler peasants before my military arrived I decided this was too risky. so instead I decided to do it the hard but safe way by making a very long aqueduct. This required construction through one of the caverns. I then lost another 5 peasants to a troll and a cave crocodile. So much for that being the safer alternative. right now I am on the verge of a tantrum spiral. The cavern has been walled off and all construction suspended while I try to get happiness levels up before I lose 90% of my dwarves. I swear I will complete this goddamn generator even if I have to reclaim this location.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #13332 on: May 15, 2011, 05:07:53 am »

I'm 'buying' some elven equipment so I can outfit a small squad of longbowdwaves with their stuff. My reasoning is that if they fight like them (with the drinking, etc) then we may be able to fight them better if they want to curb my deforesting efforts. Dispite this, I am perdicting that said squad will suck.

also, I am attempting to build an entire fortress above ground, using only obsidian as a base material.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13333 on: May 15, 2011, 07:05:04 am »

Summer brought courageous tragedy. Zasit and Olin charged to win glory against the hordes of Jotunar, Nightwings, Nagas and Tigermen massing at my fortress entrance. The drawbridges closed too late, sealing them out instead of in and a long battle ensued between these two dwarves and the hundreds of invaders. Eventually the weight of numbers took its toll and they became the first dwarves to give their lives at Fencedswords. The civilians buried their dead and held a party wake in their honour.

Autumn rolls around and construction is planned for the immense pump stack. The water wheels are already built and components for the pumps are slowly being manufactured. However planning is interrupted by the happy news that Zasit's former squadmate and wife Thob has given birth to a baby boy Obok.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13334 on: May 15, 2011, 08:17:19 am »

A ghostly baby rose and haunted my fortress.  I couldn't find it's name in the slab list so I had runesmithed it away. Turns out that it was indeed on the slab list, I just didn't find it my first pass through.  So it just comes back unnanounced a month later.  I don't notice and it kills somebody.

I start searching around and discover that I do indeed have a corpse for it.  And it's already in a coffin.   Then I remember how it died when it's mother hauled it into battle.  Probably haunting because sliced off bodyparts ended up in the volcano and never got fully buried.   After a second search through the slab list I did finally find it's name and put it to rest.

Still a creepy thought though, a ghostly baby crawling around the fortress missing limbs...killing people with fear.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 887 888 [889] 890 891 ... 3842