Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112162 times)

tabaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13275 on: May 13, 2011, 03:26:16 am »

the third year has come and I have just managed to flood Necrorelics primary food storage and dining room by reworking the waterfall to power a room full of millstone's on the level above food storage. thankfuly it's only 1-2 deep but it is taking a long time staunching the flow as my masons are frightened by a little bit of water. I finaly have metal working facilitys up and running near the magma sea unfortunatly the only metals i have are sapherlite tetrahedrite and cotton candy which i can't get to at the moment. Anyway as something to do i have decided to make Necrorelics live up to its name by memorializing every named creature that dies here and giving every dwarf a tomb at least 3x3 in size.

edit- forgot to mentiona mason died in an effort to increse the power of the waterwheel... oh well.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:30:59 am by tabaris »

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13276 on: May 13, 2011, 07:19:26 am »

yr 2 Goblin Siege wasted my badly equipped / poorly trained squad, 10 down to Gobbos. Tantrum spiral has so far killed at least 30, i can't make coffins fast enough. I think in future i just wont appoint a Sherrif, ever.
Tantrum -> Fistfight -> Hammerer -> Dead -> Tantrum -> Murder -> Dead -> Hammerer -> Dead -> Tantrum.....

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13277 on: May 13, 2011, 07:22:07 am »

So some migrants arrived. I figured that it would be something like 7 or something, the usual sort of small band of migrants.... My fortress population went from 14 to 40 in one wave... Though they DID bring some new tame animals, luckily. I don't have a hunter and the only meat I've had for a while was bought from a caravan and cooked into meals (I actually have quite a few of those left too).

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13278 on: May 13, 2011, 07:25:47 am »

On the plus side, my waterfall / bathhouse Mk2 is working splendidly, no overflowing - i hate the mud mechanic sometimes.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13279 on: May 13, 2011, 07:57:40 am »

This whole, bloody big mountain, and yet I STILL can't find any iron ore! 

Lots of silver, but baby needs a new set of steel armour!!!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13280 on: May 13, 2011, 08:28:37 am »

The great hall has now been entirely mined out without any accidents. Living conditions in the fort are poor, with little enjoyment or drink for the dwarves. Only when the seasonal traders arrive is there a chance to get a sip of alcohol. But they preservere with little fuss. The grandeur of the expedition leaders plans keep them content.

One of the dwarves decided to make an artifact mitten, to the great astonishment of all the citizens. He is now considered legendary among tanners.

The next task for the miners guild is to dig out channels for bringing water into the fort. It is planned to make a waterfall that will flow through the great hall. They are also digging downwards, searching for a cave system in which the water can be drained into. 
"It's unpossible!"

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13281 on: May 13, 2011, 09:22:03 am »

Last migrant wave, getting my dwarf number to 30, aka perfect number.

Started by a HIGH MASTER WEAPONSMITH FUCK YES. Other things of interest are a skilled grower, a talented cook, and the rest is crap.

No seriously...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13282 on: May 13, 2011, 10:55:32 am »

-dp-

Well, the human caravan brought loads of wood. Very good, I have an exceptional large serrated iron disc to sell them, and as I'm on a desert biome, I've got no outer wood.

However, they are trying to sell me prepared ant brains. How is that possible ? I thought Toady fixed the unrealistic food problem a few versions ago. Am playing on a rather heavily modded 0.31.25. But I didn't touch the ant RAWS or anything.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13283 on: May 13, 2011, 11:00:13 am »

Goblins launched 2 ambushes against me.
Guess who won out of ten iron clad very good axedwarves who are legendary at shield using, and three marksgoblins along with several goblin pikemen.
Wut? That's odd. I'm usually relieved the Goblins send bows instead of, say, lashers. My Dwarfs hardly seem to fall against Bowgobs. Even in my last fortress where my militia was bronze-clad they tended to have little trouble.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Disquiet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13284 on: May 13, 2011, 11:16:19 am »

So some migrants arrived. I figured that it would be something like 7 or something, the usual sort of small band of migrants.... My fortress population went from 14 to 40 in one wave... Though they DID bring some new tame animals, luckily. I don't have a hunter and the only meat I've had for a while was bought from a caravan and cooked into meals (I actually have quite a few of those left too).

When I get a megawave of migrants I usually draft all the talentless slobs, equip them with goblinite (or nothing) and send them to fight the first thing that comes. Usually out of a crop of 30 raw recruits you'll get 1-2 decent fighters left alive after a few battles, which can then be recruited into my main military force. Great training for doctors too, and permanently injured dwarves are executed to avoid a large useless cripple population holding the fort back. Since they are migrants none of my dwarves care when they die and its much more entertaining than trying to find work that doesn't exist for an extra 30 unneeded dwarves.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13285 on: May 13, 2011, 11:22:38 am »

However, they are trying to sell me prepared ant brains. How is that possible ? I thought Toady fixed the unrealistic food problem a few versions ago. Am playing on a rather heavily modded 0.31.25. But I didn't touch the ant RAWS or anything.

I can't say I've seen ant brains lately. But they usually bring me barrlels of prepared domestic animal organs, as well as crap like butterfly ichor and various creatures blood. I didn't mind until I realized dwarvers don't drink blood. Anyway, I don't think there has been much fixing in that area.
"It's unpossible!"

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13286 on: May 13, 2011, 02:37:03 pm »

Engaged "PANSY MODE" and decided to use dftubefill to get the delicious candy.
It's very good.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13287 on: May 13, 2011, 02:54:15 pm »

The manager at Bridgegate, Udil Taronaban, just created an artifact called Udil Taronaban.
It is a fungiwood bed, it is decorated with larch and encircled with bands of cedar. It is adorned with hanging rings of blue jade and menaces with spikes of fungiwood.
It is not too exciting and is only worth 7200, but he named after himself, I guess he wants to be remembered.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13288 on: May 13, 2011, 03:06:58 pm »

My little fort is now a 70+ Dwarven Mountain now that Queen Shale has arrived. Year 253 and I've already gotten a queen! XD

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13289 on: May 13, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »

As the pit to the gods of the underworld is finished, operations secure the rim of the underground magma tube on the first cavern layer met with, mostly, success. Which should not even be worth mention since there were actually only TWO sections of wall that needed building. A rather idiotic farmer, however, still managed to get killed by a cave crocodile that had snuck onto the map. My military has since dispatched it... yet this should have been a simple, clean, in-and-out task.

Production of the incredibly intricate magma pump stack has been halted by a discovery that the fortress lacks any metals capable of being used as components in the pumps.

Additionally, my grand master weaponsmith just went insane after I melted his two masterwork copper screws back down. I suppose I should have anticipated something like this, but now I'm left without someone who has any significant amount of weaponmaking skill...
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 3842