Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112183 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13260 on: May 12, 2011, 03:08:50 pm »

A hornbill FB.
Guess who won out of a giant eyeless hornbill and two axedwarves (This is not the entire squad) that are iron clad and extremely good, and also armed with steel axes.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13261 on: May 12, 2011, 03:25:53 pm »

"The spinning vomit strikes the Human Spearman in the head, jamming the skull through the brain"...

Best fucking peasant ever...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:04:28 pm by Kepplerr »
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13262 on: May 12, 2011, 03:30:27 pm »

Abandoned the old wth-electrum fort due to FPS issues with my river defroster. Started a new fort that will undoubtedly end up with just as much, if not more, electrum.

Things are going pretty good, 33 dwarves, over ten thousand units of booze, had a few goblin ambushes, most of which went down without too much struggle. Currently digging out some more z-levels for ores, and digging out some legendary workrooms.

Edit: One fey dwarf and black zircon mug later, I have a dwarf ready to churn through the thousands of gems I've dug up over the few years I've had this fort.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:32:28 pm by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13263 on: May 12, 2011, 03:51:35 pm »

The ocean's dead are crawling out and attacking Bridgegate!

First, a skeletal blue shark comes by and interrupts some workers, but my broker happened to be checking up on them with his crossbow and blasts it away with one shot.
Then a school of skeletal bluefish crawls ashore. Well, only two made it out of the ocean before it froze. One chased a dwarf down the trap entrance and is now sitting in the animal stockpile with the goblins.
The other one encountered my bookkeeper.
Spoiler: Combat Log (click to show/hide)
My broker and bookkeeper don't have the undead fishes listed under their kills. Can you not kill what is already dead?

EDIT: a skeletal panda just crossed the frozen ocean.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:03:33 pm by McDwarf »

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13264 on: May 12, 2011, 04:12:29 pm »

It is currently sitting under a floor under a bed. if the bloody little thiefs can get it they deserve it. also after i made that the king arrived. now to see if that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
will show up gave it 10 times the mass of his bronze cousins. very tempted to make one for each mineral/metal. also have had a forgotten beast spawned in clown ville it was so funny. it will not be mourned.
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13265 on: May 12, 2011, 07:04:33 pm »

I am up to my beard in chopped, prepared, and currently awaiting processing Elephants. SO MUCH MEAT.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13266 on: May 12, 2011, 08:38:36 pm »

My expedition leader was outside talking to the dwarves liaison when the skeletal panda spotted them. The liaison offers to make Bridgegate a Barony. The expedition leader nominates himself for the position.
Upon hearing this the panda charges.
I order everyone inside, maybe the panda will stumble into my cage traps. But expedition leader decides it's best to lure the panda away from the fort, so he runs across the ocean being chased by the skeletal panda. The liaison from mountainhome following, trying to work out the details of this new deal.
Getting to far side of the ocean, the expedition leader finds himself starting to get thirsty and little safety from undead pandas, so he runs back across the ocean being chased by a skeletal panda and a dwarven official. Maybe five tiles from shore, a skeletal deer joins the chase.
Somewhere around here the panda noticed it was being chased by the dwarven liaison and turned to chase him down. The liaison, understanding the danger, turned to run back across the ocean.
Then the ocean melted, tossing the liaison and the skeletal panda (and a wild turkey), into the drink.

The expedition leader, now being chased by a skeletal deer, was beginning to get drowsy. He had the clever idea to run through the pasture, which had been somewhat restocked since the goblin raid.
The deer fell for the distraction, and went after the animals. So far a rhesus macaque and a goose have fallen to the deer, but my expedition leader seems to have gotten away, hopefully he will make inside before he decides to take a nap.

Will the liaison survive being thrown in the ocean?
If so, will he survive the skeletal panda?
If he dies, will this affect my expedition leader's aspirations for nobility?

I've made a back up of the seasonal save, but we will see how things unfold.

EDIT: the skeletal panda caught up to the liaison and had a fierce underwater battle.
Spoiler: Combat Log (click to show/hide)
As a note, the liaison has lost his title and is now a dead herbalist named Bomrek Idbekar.
The Skeletal Panda is now called Zonzim.
I wonder if it will find it's way out of the ocean before it freezes again.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:22:58 pm by McDwarf »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13267 on: May 12, 2011, 09:27:57 pm »

That last post is best when set to Benny Hill music. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13268 on: May 12, 2011, 09:37:39 pm »

The lava flowed towards its target with unerring precision. Unfortunately, my goal (the army of goblins) and the lava's (those poor, poor merchants) were not one and the same.

Ouch. Time to redesign the magma cannon!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13269 on: May 12, 2011, 09:53:23 pm »

The lava flowed towards its target with unerring precision. Unfortunately, my goal (the army of goblins) and the lava's (those poor, poor merchants) were not one and the same.

Ouch. Time to redesign the magma cannon!

It's amusing just how often that happens.

I had just embarked on a new location (Whoo, volcano!) when my miners discovered candy as soon as I unpaused. Then my framerate imploded.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13270 on: May 12, 2011, 11:32:26 pm »

Just started my next 'new' fort with my first mega project in mind. Was building a 6z lvl underground fort and then turning the entire thing into a big underground lake with an above ground linking section. And all the internal 'external' walls (the ones facing into the water) being made out of glass. Only to realise that I'd editted the raws of the wrong save and my custom glass reaction wasn't in this world.

Time to start again.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13271 on: May 12, 2011, 11:50:12 pm »

Just got a nsty surprise in my new fortress; come spring, it's still snowy! Fantastic!

Well, I'm busy carving out some bunkers and I'm hitting gems left right and center. The whole goddamn volcano is covered in the things. It's glorious.

I'm about to set up a system to train my masons to legendary; I'm going to make them all carve every stone they can find into a block before using it. Legendary masons for are awesome.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13272 on: May 12, 2011, 11:56:30 pm »

A berserk child just choked a baby to death.  They were both trapped outside during a human siege.
Also, lots of dwarfs are dying of thirst, despite the thousands of drinks.  There's probably a reason, but I don't care enough to check it out.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:08:07 am by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13273 on: May 12, 2011, 11:59:49 pm »

I just had a cook who was drafted into my militia kill a cyclops apparently singlehandedly.

I'm so proud of her!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13274 on: May 13, 2011, 12:21:02 am »

I set a dwarf to making copper goblets on repeat for metalsmithing training so that he would crank out masterworks when I started giving him electrum.

About a thousand copper bars later, I'm up to my hairline in masterwork copper goblets. And the stupid human merchants decided to go "ohey, let's show up, see some goblins, and then try to run off." So I killed them for their lack of respect, and for NOT TAKING THESE DAMN MUGS OFF MY HANDS.

The entrance hallway is still a mess of blood, gore and various goblin/elf/human paraphernalia. I'm thinking about cleansing it with magma somehow...

Oh, and I designated every rock in the fort to be atom-smashed because it was causing about a minute of lag... every time I tried to assign a job to the smelters, masons, or craftsdwarves.

Edit: I rigged a magma flooding and out-pumping system to cleanse the front hallway of junk. Too bad, though... it wrecked my dozen silver hammer traps. Oh well, time to replace them with steel ones once the thin layer of unpumpable magma dries up and we get access to the fireproof goblinite that all my smelter-dwarves ignored for some reason.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:52:48 am by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 3842