Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111672 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13185 on: May 09, 2011, 07:41:41 pm »

Late summer and it is all go.

A barrage of caravans, at least three, followed by three different goblin ambushes, followed by my first centaur ambush and a lizard-folk ambush. And now there is and illithid ambush. The snakemen have already set fire to the ground so I'm preparing for massive framerate drops.

One of my named warriors, I dubbed her 'Heavy Feller' for her killing of two large scale fortress threats, a semi-mega and a Forgotten beast, is in a bad way. She was massacring her way through snakemen, killed five and then one snuck up behind her and destroyed her right tusk with a glaive. She's now running away from one mystic axeman though I think if he ever catches her he'll be in for a nasty shock.

And a second illithid ambush - seconds after the first! It's really getting hot.
And a third!

Occasionally, and rather amusingly, I'm also getting barraged by 'A SNATCHER!'  or 'A THIEF!' messages.
Uhm, Dwarf fortress - I have like three different races out for my blood all at the same time. I've got bigger problems than a couple of lone goblins.

And a fourth illithid ambush! You'd think they'd just send a full time siege!
And a fifth.

Looking at th units screen, it seems that the illithids are being wiped out about as fast as they can arrive, mostly because half the map is now on fire and they're also having to fight with the naga before they can get to me. I think I'm going to pull back inside my fort to avoid having my soldiers burn.

The 'heavy feller' circled back around, killed her pursuer and went on, despite heavy blood loss, to confront the White Naga Hammer Lord. It's not going well for her. Despite her twenty five kills, it doesn't look like she's doing very well.

Maelstrom has joined the fray. here's hoping she continues her prestigious rampage.

Aaaand it looks like we're done for the moment - once again the naga wipe everything off the map, including themselves, by opening their assualts with balls of flame. They kill everything apart from me.

SHE'S ALIVE. Semod - heavy Feller - is alive. She's lost the ability to stand, she's bleeding a lot, she's having trouble breathing and she's nauseous, but she's dragging herself, quite determinedly back towards my fort with twenty eight kills.
This girl is a bad-ass.

Edit: turns out she got picked up by A mason, Dema,who brought her to bed. That guy is awesome - I gave him a title and a room, since he was without one.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:48:06 pm by MasterMorality »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13186 on: May 09, 2011, 08:49:18 pm »

Quick! Prepare the Traction Benches!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13187 on: May 09, 2011, 08:54:16 pm »

Just got my first goblin ambush today, lost about five dwarfs(fortunately nobody important) when they went to retrieve the stuff off of the first couple guys to go down. It's been so long since I've gotten to the ambush/siege point I've forgotten how to make the idiots stay inside short of building and locking doors, and I don't want to waste the 30+ cage traps I've put out for visitors....

Edit: Got a seige not long after, and was forced to abandon due to even after creating a burrow for them to stay in and asetting alert to civs stay in burrow, the idiots KEPT. GOING. OUTSIDE. FOR. OTHER. PEOPLES. STUFF. lost 50 before quitting

Edit edit: Just embarked on new location..things going fine until my fisherdwarf gets eaten by an alligator.

I just cant win
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:19:46 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13188 on: May 09, 2011, 10:28:25 pm »

I just cant win

This is Dwarf Fortress, you know.

So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13189 on: May 09, 2011, 10:29:10 pm »

Nobody has ever 'won' Dwarf Fortress. Laugh it off and start a new tale!

In spite of the fact that I've been finding more and more creative ways to kill their caravans, the elves continue to send them yearly. This year, I attempted to trap several elves in my entry trapway, though unfortunately only succeeding in trapping one. I lock down the two bridges, and drop the water reservoir I have planted over the hall for just such an occasion. After running to the front gate and presumably slamming on it in a feeble gesture towards the elves still remaining outside, the elf merchant walks hopelessly back towards the hole from which the water dropped, drowning long before making any progress there. His pack animal also drowns next to him.

I somehow, though, managed to trap another pack animal (Yak) in the hall. When I go around looking for him, I find he's swam up into the upper part of the reservoir, and is making an attempt to escape. Since I was refilling the water chamber at the same time I was emptying it, the fortunate beast was able to swim all the way up my reservoir and down the stairs that lead to the top of it. He's now chilling on top of my outer walls, having dodged death in the oddest possible way.

Tl;dr, I had a Yak swimming in my water chamber. The mental image still makes me chucke...

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13190 on: May 10, 2011, 12:11:46 am »

*goes into a strange mood*

It's the first of Granite, 529 in Cloistersummit. 528 was a big, eventful year for Oddomkobel, my longest running fort at almost nine years. 527 saw the elevation of the fort to a barony, and in 528 it became a county. The Countess and Chief Medical Dwarf seems happy with her arrangement, but has a lust for aluminum that cannot be sated by this fort's limited means. Nevertheless, the Countess is a merciful Dwarfess, as evidenced by the light five day sentence she gave to one of her ungrateful inferiors.

In the spring of 528 Feb Likottorish came of age and was elected mayor at the tender age of 13. Feb undoubtedly rose to fame in Oddomkobel because of his creation of the partly misnamed masterpiece "Ultrawealths the Grooved Horn" he created several years previously, earning him the title of Legendary Bone Carver despite the badger bone short sword only being worth about four thousand dwarfbucks. Feb's youthful arrogance somewhat mitigates his artistic achievement, but these days he is more humble for all that he makes masterwork crafts out of the bones of forgotten beasts.

In 528 the Dwarves truly became the Lords of the Mountain. Oddomkobel endured three successive Goblin sieges this year, but each time the Goblins forces were manipulated by the Dwarves, who used their mastery of the mountain and the innate dim-wittedness of the Goblins to drop rocks on their heads by luring them into dark caves, trap significant portions of their armies, and rain crossbow bolts on their diminutive green heads from above. The Goblins, notwithstanding their inferior intellect, apparently learned the lesson of the siege of 526 when the Afflicted Spider's law giver made an appearance on the battlefield, and no longer ride terrible beast mounts into battle with the Dwarves: they know the mounts will simply be caged and sequestered deep in the mountain. Observing the Dwarven soldiers, you would think Oddomkobel an outpost of Smestreutes by the thin crescent on every chest, but it is only a sign of the Dwarven dual appreciation of both irony and fine craftsgoblinship.

The greatest dangers to the Dwarves in 528 came not from above but from below. A program of systematic neutralization of the terrible beasts in the deep met with mixed success: the squads never failed to kill a Forgotten Beast, but at times the beasts exuded terrible vapors from their gaping maws and their thickly running blood, and so many dwarves were tragically lost in their moments of victory. The beasts themselves proved both crafty and loathesome, for in one case they were able to psychically compel dwarves to open the gates to the Caverns, and in another case a flying insectoid beast apparently made its way into the bowels of the fort through fortifications carved in the Cavern walls. The incidents remain a mystery and the former mayor has denied any need to pursue a more thoroughgoing investigation.

Despite the optimistic outlook of the Dwarves, mystery and danger hover at the edge of their perception. Shortly before the final siege of 528 a lone human was found on the periphery of the County, apparently dead of exhaustion. The human's dress mark him as an official of Tapstrenmong, but no writings were found on his person and no humans followed. Was this human part of a caravan that was ambushed by the Goblins? What terrible fate befell this man? We may never know. The Forgotten Beasts, the ever present threat from below, have crowded into the Caverns, giving some Dwarves a sense of futility. It is suspected that these wily creatures are also responsible for stuffing a Nether Cap into the fort's plumbing, putting efforts to obtain obsidian on hold for months on end. Skeptical Dwarves have pointed out that if they could get out of the Caverns, the fell beasts would simply attack, but paranoia once unleashed cannot be leashed again.

*Nasikabatrachus has created Lugugraybis, a forum post!*

Wow, I got long-winded there. Huh.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13191 on: May 10, 2011, 12:14:04 am »

I've got a couple of sad lookin' goblin ghosts chillin' on my goblin corpse pile...

Didn't even know that goblins could come back as ghosts...

That's really strange. I've never encountered any non-dwarf ghosts before, and I atom smash the corpses of many invader goblins. Did you do anything strange to their corpses?

No, I haven't done anything to their corpses... Also, before I stopped using coffins. My dorfs kept trying to put the goblin corpses and body parts into the coffins, and when I looked at the coffins with Q it would show up as Current Owner: [Generic goblin name here]...

EDIT: No, it isn't a reclaim

Maybe you're actually at peace with the goblins. Have you modded the Goblin raws at all?

No, I haven't... And on the embark screen it said that my civ was at war with them...

Are you sure those were goblins? Perhaps they were children of kidnapped dwarves, who were born in the goblin civ and thus given dwarven names - though tragic, they deserve burial as well.

I'd guess that the dead human was the work of the dreaded...OLD AGE
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:47:47 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13192 on: May 10, 2011, 01:26:49 am »

I'd guess that the dead human was the work of the dreaded...OLD AGE

This vile fiend has killed millions in its lust for murder!
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13193 on: May 10, 2011, 04:42:55 am »

By far the most valuable artifact yet :D

Duradas Keshamneth, "Beardcave the Curious Balance", a adamantine anvil.
This is a adamantine anvil. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with schist and microcline and encircled with bands of adamantine, elk bird bone and emerald. This object menaces with spikes of cave spider silk.
On the item is an image of dwarves in saguaro rib wood. The dwarves are labouring. The artwork relates to the foundation of Tinfound by The Eternal Creation of The Healing Board in the early spring of 261.
On the item is an image of dwarves in quartzite. The dwarves are travelling. The artwork relates to the foundation of Tinfound by The Eternal Creation of The Healing Board in the early spring of 261.

777,600 dorfbucks!!!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13194 on: May 10, 2011, 05:26:44 am »

1. Siege -> Burrow.
2. Kill Kill Kill.
3. Forget to unburrow, food stocks dwindle.
4. So many dwarfs collecting spoils / dumping crud that no food gets produced. Butcher shops queued up with reducing cat/puppy pop.
5. A fort of 150 dwarfs runs completely out of food.
6. Just as dwarfs start getting hungry ( i get a single Hunt for vermin message) a Human caravan arrives !! YES!.
7. I buy every bit of food they have (thank Armok for Legendary Stone Carver and Bone Carver + gem setters)
8. Every dwarf that went down to the lower levels (where the magma forges are) nearly starve to death because i accidentally removed the up-stairs on one floor when designating RemoveRamps.
Couldn't figure out why they were hunting for vermin while the stockpiles were packed. Had to manually check dozens of z levels and finally noticed the missing staris under about 3 dwarfs.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:29:56 am by hjd_uk »

urick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13195 on: May 10, 2011, 06:20:30 am »

Riding another tantrums spiral. The count has died, and now Bembul is mayor. Bembul? She's been staggering about with one hand and one foot for years, creating the sorrowful spam, "cancels store owned object, too injured."

Well sorry, Bembul, I just thought you'd benefit from a bedroom on the same level as the dining room. I'd never have moved you if I thought it would be a problem. I guess since you spend all day limping to and from the dining room, you must know everyone in the fort pretty well. I should have known you'd end up as mayor. Here's to you, you tough piece of gristle. I'd expect to see a lot more if that 'decay of a friend' if I were you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13196 on: May 10, 2011, 06:26:54 am »

(Awesome story)
*Nasikabatrachus has created Lugugraybis, a forum post!*

Wow, I got long-winded there. Huh.

Nah, I love reading this stuff when I manage to log in! Well-written. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

WishMyNameWasFunny

• Bay Watcher
  • Surely the taste of cat roasts is getting boring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13197 on: May 10, 2011, 06:49:09 am »

Had a hydra in a cage and two ambushes let the hydra out to play he killed both ambushes and as a reward I peppered him with bolts untill he fell over then turned his corpse into tasty food and soap Mmmmm lovely hydra soft skin
Signature filter has detected a boring generic signature and has disabled this option for you.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13198 on: May 10, 2011, 07:04:41 am »

My clothesmaker became moody, grabbed ten million things, and what does she make?
A FUCKING HOOD.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13199 on: May 10, 2011, 08:01:56 am »

My clothesmaker became moody, grabbed ten million things, and what does she make?
A FUCKING HOOD.

rename him robin hood, send him with a bow and no arrows to melee the giant badgers.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 3842