Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111120 times)

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13080 on: May 05, 2011, 08:26:15 pm »

Also, is there any way to set where migrants and caravans enter the map at?  Currently they still ignore my elevated road and just pop out wherever.

It's considered cheesy, but yes.

Build and raise bridges all around the edge of the map, blocking every edge tile except the ones where you want visitors (migrants, sieges, caravans) to appear.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: May 05, 2011, 08:27:31 pm »

My brewer got attacked by a badger and suffered nerve damage to both feet. She can't walk, but apparently resolved not to be trapped in the hospital the rest of her life, and now does all she can to help around the fortress, whilst dragging herself around with her hands.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: May 05, 2011, 08:37:15 pm »

Build and raise bridges all around the edge of the map, blocking every edge tile except the ones where you want visitors (migrants, sieges, caravans) to appear.

Ah poo.  I was hoping to keep sieges off the bridge.  Still thanks for the info.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: May 05, 2011, 09:09:43 pm »

"The Forgotten Beast Xungo has come!  A great noseless six-legged ass.  It has a bloated body.  Its chocolate hair is very curly.  Beware its poisonous gas!"

Also, this fort seems to have a major foot fetish going on.  Of the 22 artifacts I have allowed to be created, 6 have been some variety of footwear.  Specifically, 2 steel low boots, 1 adamantine high boot, a phantom spider silk sock, a pig tail sock, and a llama wool sock.  My dwarves have very safe feet.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: May 06, 2011, 02:08:36 am »

Ah poo.  I was hoping to keep sieges off the bridge.  Still thanks for the info.

IIRC it also works if you make your bridge be the only wagon-usable path to the trade depot (ie 3 tiles wide with no stairs). Even though caravans don't use wagons, they'll still only spawn on a wagon-usable path. That's what I've heard anyway...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: May 06, 2011, 02:54:18 am »

Damn it. I had a wonderful piece of "magma laced with magma, containing magma covering"... item happened in my fortress, but didn't worked.

Now I only have magma pools in 7/7 magma and 5 different items on the same tile called "magma" in a 4/7 magma tile.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: May 06, 2011, 04:57:02 am »

My Chief Medical Dwarf just gave birth to her sixth kid.  :o

A legendary miner was sacrificed to burn up some clothes owned by a dead dwarf.

My military numbers 100 strong, and hasn't suffered a casualty in a few years, sieges have been scarce, but the majority have been diligently training for the last 4 or 5 years.

The forges are churning out gold bins, these gold bins are donated to caravans full of goblin clothes and crafts from dead caravans.

Population dropped from 207 to 187, I didn't think a FB would path through a forbidden door while I was playing wii with my kid.  When I came back the FB had nearly been wrestled to death by passerbys on the stairwell, most of the deaths were nicknamed 'slave' and had beds by the magma forges.  My FPS went up to 23 though afterwards, so mostly a good thing.

An axelord was bestowed the title, 'The Gleeful Priest of Spray'  How appropriate. I decided to let him dual wield another axe.
An artifact gold mace was crafted, now mace lord 'Windu' is dual wielding that along with a steel one.
200 dwarves seem to consume 4x the alcohol that 180 dwarves do, so I finally gave in and built my first farm.
My Count was promoted to Duke, his rule is considered benevolent, demanding only millstones and the odd crossbow or copper item.
A tiny ambush managed to scare away the dwarven caravan before a couple soldiers could clean it up. Things seem to be heating up since fortress wealth is increasing due to the large amounts of gold bins.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: May 06, 2011, 07:01:45 am »

The FB Kulur Oculsinur Ino Sinur has come! A huge  three-eyed theropod. It has four long, straight horns and it has a bloated body. Its lavender feathers are patchy. Beware its webs!

Kulur Soilstandard the Sea of Mastering made no kills before being stomped. :P Did go after a baby llama in my underground pasture, though, but it was too slow to hurt any animal there. The baby llama on the other hand kicked a naked mole dog in the stomach and it's still vomiting.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: May 06, 2011, 10:04:47 am »

My immigrant hunter (the original one got his upper body severed by a zombie yak bull :( ) went hunting mounting goats. Shot a few bolts at one and then decided: Now...i'm gonna make an artifact.
The mountain goat took a few more steps, before it died. That was pretty good timing, hunter!
He wants to be a woodcrafter, though. :(

Also, do Skulls and hoofs and horns rot away now? i should have a lot of them, but only 2 or three are in my refuse stockpile.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:06:29 am by Rince Wind »

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: May 06, 2011, 10:17:54 am »

Sometimes, it's the little vignettes that strike you. I saw a random peasant lurching around outside on the roads. Intrigued, I looked closer. She soon put down the barrel of sewer brew that she had been staggering around swigging from, and meandered off inside to grab a bite to eat. Why she was drinking outside in broad (day/night)light I have no idea. Looking at her description reveals that she's flimsy, clumsy and easily discouraged. Sounds like a lush to me!
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: May 06, 2011, 10:21:33 am »

Traditionally building engraved trade depot room, and legendary +9001 dining room. Did I mention big bookkeeper office and a squarey staircase?

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: May 06, 2011, 11:18:13 am »

Just got my first minotaur. I sent my brave military, armed to the teeth, to kill him. As he was unarmed, I assumed it wouldn't be a big deal. Oh, but it was. You see, the first dwarf that made it was a badly trained recruit wielding a steel pick. The minotaur dodged all his attack and then tore his arm off. I had heard that large creatures will grab things, like a sock, and then beat people to death with it. Well, this one grabbed the steel pick, and then proceeded to kill four other dwarfs without suffering a scratch!. I feared all was lost, as it seemed to be a legendary dodger, the way it jumped about. Then, suddenly, it dodged down a small ledge! The fall didn't injure it at all, but it did stun it for just long enough for my axedwarfs to hack it into tiny little pieces.

And so dies Orzan Gristlesoldier the Assault of Direction. His meat will feed the fortress Roofravens for many months!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: May 06, 2011, 11:24:59 am »

Just got my first minotaur. I sent my brave military, armed to the teeth, to kill him. As he was unarmed, I assumed it wouldn't be a big deal. Oh, but it was. You see, the first dwarf that made it was a badly trained recruit wielding a steel pick. The minotaur dodged all his attack and then tore his arm off. I had heard that large creatures will grab things, like a sock, and then beat people to death with it. Well, this one grabbed the steel pick, and then proceeded to kill four other dwarfs without suffering a scratch!. I feared all was lost, as it seemed to be a legendary dodger, the way it jumped about. Then, suddenly, it dodged down a small ledge! The fall didn't injure it at all, but it did stun it for just long enough for my axedwarfs to hack it into tiny little pieces.

And so dies Orzan Gristlesoldier the Assault of Direction. His meat will feed the fortress Roofravens for many months!
Tell me when you realize your extreme disappointment of food.

laijka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: May 06, 2011, 11:34:11 am »

Absolutely nothing.

15 (of my 16) dwarfs seems to be on some kind of strike. They are all just sitting around doing nothing despite my efforts to get their dwarvenasses off the ground and in the workshops.

I'm considering revoking their booze privileges.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: May 06, 2011, 11:45:44 am »

snip
I once had a Dwarf-slaying Giant Bat deep in my caverns. Its weapon was a pair of trousers.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 3842