Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 868 869 [870] 871 872 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110987 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13035 on: May 03, 2011, 03:54:26 pm »

Two sieges, War Elephants and Dark Stranglers, both apparently entirely composed of wrestlers. I'm not even going to bother deploying troops for this, the traps are enough.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13036 on: May 03, 2011, 04:02:06 pm »

Two sieges, War Elephants and Dark Stranglers, both apparently entirely composed of wrestlers. I'm not even going to bother deploying troops for this, the traps are enough.

War elephants and dark stranglers don't use weapons IIRC.

Now make your dwarves butcher sentients and enjoy literally SWIMMING IN ELEPHANT MEAT for the rest of your fortress.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13037 on: May 03, 2011, 04:06:39 pm »

Now make your dwarves butcher sentients and enjoy literally SWIMMING IN ELEPHANT MEAT for the rest of your fortress.

Every game I play has the butchering of sentients and kills set to acceptable. I'm tempted to find a way to allow my dwarves to butcher their own dead, seeing as how I usually don't bother to save the hordes of retards that decide to run outside to grab some random crap as the enemy approaches the entrance, get scared, and run away from the door two steps behind them.

3. Run Resize Enable

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13038 on: May 03, 2011, 04:08:57 pm »

Every game I play has the butchering of sentients and kills set to acceptable. I'm tempted to find a way to allow my dwarves to butcher their own dead, seeing as how I usually don't bother to save the hordes of retards that decide to run outside to grab some random crap as the enemy approaches the entrance, get scared, and run away from the door two steps behind them.

Solution 1 - As purely pragmatic as that is, dwarves cannot butcher their own dead, nope. Solution 2 - Burrows.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13039 on: May 03, 2011, 04:12:44 pm »

Crossposting for suggestions:

Something I'd thought of for a generation capsule fort I'd been working on in theory was to just have multiple layers, the starting seven start on the lowest, most well equipped layer, and each wave of immigrants has to slowly percolate downward, ensuring that only useful dwarves are introduced into the main population. males and Females would have separate quarters to prevent marriage and babies, and the doors to the next lowest level only unlock every 5 years. That's enough time to conventionally train them as a militia, or to get them to a useful specialization at a respectable level, ensuring the lowest areas are lavishly furnished. I need to think of a good way to thin the herd though, cull the weak and only allow the strong to survive. Once they get to the middle (of three) areas I can't think of a way to do so nicely, aside from just looking for all the weak and stupid ones who survived the first level and changing their burrow to the magma chamber.

Eugenics,  Needless Cruelty, Class Struggle, Sounds dwarfy to me.

Any ideas for what I should implement in it?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13040 on: May 03, 2011, 04:14:23 pm »

I embarked with various cave animals, and now all my male creatures have Helmet Snake Poison in them. That's just wonderful  ::)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13041 on: May 03, 2011, 04:23:11 pm »

Solution 1 - As purely pragmatic as that is, dwarves cannot butcher their own dead, nope. Solution 2 - Burrows.
What I meant was that I don't care enough to bother creating a burrow; the really important dwarves either stay inside or are military types. On another note, I was set for food already, but now I've got around 47 dead enemies of various types, mostly War Elephants, White Tigerpeople and their Moosepeople slaves ready for the slaughter, along with around a dozen of the same that need execution. I guess I need to have my dwarves...

8)

axe them nicely for their meat.

3. Run Resize Enable

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13042 on: May 03, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »

Crossposting for suggestions:

Something I'd thought of for a generation capsule fort I'd been working on in theory was to just have multiple layers, the starting seven start on the lowest, most well equipped layer, and each wave of immigrants has to slowly percolate downward, ensuring that only useful dwarves are introduced into the main population. males and Females would have separate quarters to prevent marriage and babies, and the doors to the next lowest level only unlock every 5 years. That's enough time to conventionally train them as a militia, or to get them to a useful specialization at a respectable level, ensuring the lowest areas are lavishly furnished. I need to think of a good way to thin the herd though, cull the weak and only allow the strong to survive. Once they get to the middle (of three) areas I can't think of a way to do so nicely, aside from just looking for all the weak and stupid ones who survived the first level and changing their burrow to the magma chamber.

Eugenics,  Needless Cruelty, Class Struggle, Sounds dwarfy to me.

Any ideas for what I should implement in it?

two doors. one has an adamantine weapon trap. the second has nothing.
those who walk through trap door are to be killed. seconds to be saved. or instead of adamantine steel, or maybe more than one trap, each one with different material type. >.>

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13043 on: May 03, 2011, 05:18:12 pm »

so i was playing around with the visible area that showed up from me making a tiny hole in the magma spire, and i saw about 6 elk birds...standing really close to my staircase...

so, my current plan for the fort...

CAPTURE THOSE M*THERF*CKIN ELK BIRDS!

so!, if i make say, a 1 block wide tunnel, full of cage traps, and put like, a kitten on a chain at the end of the tunnel, would said elk birds be like "hey...food!" and come charging at it, thereby getting caught in cages?

im playing genesis, so i assume there is no problem with taming them

and i also plan on carving out a bigger room, and putting them in it...and culling any shite elk birds, so, my first (technically second...i got a tiny/weak giant tortoise in my 4 i bought from the dwarven caravans that i slaughtered, bastards...) eugenic's plan, provided that my serrated disc traps keep anything bad out, though i do kinda have to watch out for flying things, got an outside farm that is linked directly to my fort by a small underground tunnel...that im probably gonna fill with cage traps

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13044 on: May 03, 2011, 05:48:22 pm »

Nah. Elk birds are not carnivores, they're grazers, they do eat only grasses. And then again, only when tamed.

You could give them [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] so they will raid your food stockpiles though.

Or even [LARGE_PREDATOR] and [BONECARN] so they are actual carnivores. But then again, enjoy FUN, pursuits of civilian dwarves by elk birds, pecking to death and unhappy friends, miasma, and less workforce. Maybe even a tantrum spiral if you do it wrong.

Cause elk birds are rather large and spawn in large packs as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:52:08 pm by Naryar »

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13045 on: May 03, 2011, 06:10:39 pm »

so, is there no way to lure the elk birds in to my cage traps? f*ck...i really want some war elk birds or hunter elk birds...got ton's of horses and gazelles that run by

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13046 on: May 03, 2011, 06:42:21 pm »

Get war grizzly bears, or war giant felines. It's probably better than war elk birds.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13047 on: May 03, 2011, 07:15:25 pm »

Or battle cattle.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13048 on: May 03, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »

My mayor has mandated draltha bone items for 3 years in a row.  The fortress has never seen a draltha.  Each time, my legendary bone crafter has been dragged away from his bone bolt production duties to be chained up in the jail as punishment.  The third time he nearly starved, I had to manually deconstruct the chain because for some reason he refused to eat the dwarf syrup roast sitting in the stockpile next to the chain.

Finally, a small herd of draltha appeared in the cavern.  I broke open the sealed passage to the cavern and sent my military to kill them.  The corpses were hauled up to the butchery and cut apart, resulting in three precious stacks of draltha bone, which were promptly sealed in their own stockpile, set aside for the mayor.

Urist McMayor has a new mandate!  Ok, I'm ready for him this time.  Check the mandates screen:

Urist McMayor has mandated the production of Creeping Eye Leather items (3/3)

Bastard.  Now I know he's just messing with me.

And yet the fortress keeps re-electing him year after year.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13049 on: May 03, 2011, 10:11:43 pm »

Bastard.  Now I know he's just messing with me.

Urist McMayor likes dwarven ale, dralthas for their lustrous manes, and messing with Sphalerite because it's funny.
Pages: 1 ... 868 869 [870] 871 872 ... 3842