Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124071 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12930 on: April 27, 2011, 02:26:09 pm »

A titan came that breathes fire. Nobody was in the lever control room (aka the Well) to close the front gate in time. The military killed the titan no problem, but I've got a fire spreading in my cave moss fields.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaaand DF crashed. Well, I wasn't sure what'd happen when I told all my dwarves to evacuate but this wasn't it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:28:03 pm by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12931 on: April 27, 2011, 03:23:52 pm »

He got out perfectly safely, without a drop of magma getting out behind him.

Well, that was unexpected.
Dwarf Fortress: Where the normal is unexpected.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12932 on: April 27, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »

I just started the game, and reading just ONE page of this post makes dwarf fortress seem HUGGGEEE! Oh, and not going off topic, In my fort: We're digging out a big square to get stone. KEWL EH!?

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12933 on: April 27, 2011, 03:29:20 pm »

That's unnecessary. Just digging a fort gives you more stone than you'll ever need.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12934 on: April 27, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »

I just started the game, and reading just ONE page of this post makes dwarf fortress seem HUGGGEEE! Oh, and not going off topic, In my fort: We're digging out a big square to get stone. KEWL EH!?
That's unnecessary. Just digging a fort gives you more stone than you'll ever need.

hush. The Fun seems powerful in these young one...let him be. He might hit an acquifer. Or a magma. or a candy tube. or something.
or discover how harsh water and magma is.
hush. let his Fun! begin.

post scriptum:
i had the problem about stones...microcline in particular. Building floors and roads solved it.
floors are useful in your fort if you breach the cavern...and don't want a towercap to entrap your entire military in a room...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12935 on: April 27, 2011, 03:38:53 pm »

I'm in a clay region, So it's kind of impossible :D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12936 on: April 27, 2011, 05:21:48 pm »

I'm in a clay region, So it's kind of impossible :D

...Yes, the ‼FUN‼ is indeed strong with this one...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12937 on: April 27, 2011, 06:39:41 pm »

Despite iron supposedly being magma-safe, a yak calf died in a cage when I tossed it into the volcano. Either the cage melted or the tempterature itself killed it.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12938 on: April 27, 2011, 06:43:32 pm »

Despite iron supposedly being magma-safe, a yak calf died in a cage when I tossed it into the volcano. Either the cage melted or the tempterature itself killed it.

Even if the cage doesn't melt, it'll be destroyed if it hits semi-molten rock.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12939 on: April 27, 2011, 06:56:03 pm »

Two of my founding dwarfs just became grandparents. I feel pleased, as I wasn't sure if that was possible.

Also, the kid has 11 aunts and 25 uncles. She shall not lack for presents.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12940 on: April 27, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »

Iron is magma safe I believe, and cages generate a forcefield around themselves which protects themselves and the occupants from just about anything.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12941 on: April 27, 2011, 07:16:50 pm »

Just lost my fort due to a single lever not being pulled in time.

After having set out to collect every single item on the map and bring it to my gigantic stockpile underground, and trading to the orcs and dwarves for over 100 000 dwarfbucks, I get a demon siege. No problem, I pull the lever to close the main gate... except it doesn't close in time. In seconds, dozens of demons kill everyone in my military and start rampaging through the upper levels... which I have forbidden access to via a floor hatch. They get themselves killed in my trap corridor, and eventually flee... only to encounter two dozen werewolves coming towards them. They also get killed and leave, and just as I thought it was all over, it turns out that the giant cat demon leader is still hanging out all by itself and slowly working its way through the doors to get to the main stairwell.

Then a tantrum spiral hits because so many died.

This is disconcerting in itself, but then the demons come back and together with their leader massacre most of the fort. Interestingly, when only three people are left (a leatherworker, a brewer who decided to take a nap in his room during the massacre and an insane lye maker moping over his lost relatives in his room), the demons leave again... everyone except the leader, who seems content to sit in the main stairwell and spook everyone trying to get past it. This results in the mayor-brewer constantly trying to get past it to eat, failing, and then trying again. Fortunately, I've activated the aquifer well-filling floodgate, and the hospital is slowly flooding. Too slowly, in fact...

Then 20 migrants arrive.

I don't know why, but they do. Four are legendaries.

They help rebuild the fort, and the elite pikedwarf even helps fight the demon lord to little avail. Adamantine helps, but she can't quite kill it, and soon most of the migrants are stuck in a side corridor trying to hide from the remarkably peaceful beast (it only fights in self-defense, and quite a lot of it is just "jumps away" and stuff...)...

Then an illithid siege comes.

Interestingly, after the frantic attempts to close the gates and doors that obviously fail, and the illithids start slaughtering everything... guess who's left? The original mayor, who survived again because he decided some butchering needed to be done. The only other survivors is an animal caretaker and an ecstatic mason, who apparently was so impressed by the five-minute long talk he got with the new mayor that it completely offset having to wade through knee-deep water rife with hundreds of dead bodies, blood, vomit, miasma and poison. Scary guy...

Then, of course, the mayor dies of thirst while butchering, and I get to watch the animal caretaker almost managing to hide from the illithids, who once again decide to leave halfway through, when the last one spots him and chases him all over the stockpile and rooms before strangling him and leaving him for dead. He soon suffocates, and that's the end of it. Goodbye Riverlens  :'(

Hm... maybe I should try reclaiming...? ;)
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12942 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:14 pm »

so...i just got...kinda far? in my first genesis fort, before it failed terribly, not because of me forgetting to say, bring an anvil, or leave enough fuel behind to make an axe/pick...

as im going about my bussiness burning bitmous coal into coke, a giant tiger shows up on my map...

f*ck

it takes a stroll through my outside outpost, not touching anyone, only thing that happened was a few cancel messages, and it leaves, well that went better then i thought...

f*cking badger conga line

they conga in a few circles around my guys, bite one guy, and bite one of my yak's legs...then promptly started leaving...

but the dire wolves decided that they didnt want the badger's to leave, and killed a bunch of them...then decided, badger's arent enough, and killed two of my other dwarves...and i noticed one of my dwarves actually has a grudge on someone, that, is a first for one of my forts, never had someone who actively did not like any of my other dwarves...

GOD DAMN YOU GENESIS MOD!!!

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12943 on: April 27, 2011, 08:10:19 pm »

Mine was genesis too. Makes it a lot more interesting when you're never quite sure exactly how dangerous the things facing you actually are, and you have to learn from experience instead of the wiki. Basically assume that everything is trying to kill you.
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12944 on: April 27, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »

i'd change my set up, but i REALLY want that breeding pair of lions...

basically what i do is bring one of each 1 point seed, 35 of all of the 2 point alcohols,  3 tetrahedrite, 6 marble 9 bitmous 5 or 6 iron ores (dont quite remember) and the rest is food...with dwarves having skills, im kinda thinking i should give up my lions or somethin to i can get a copper pick right away to start digging -.-;;
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 3842