Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972328 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12885 on: April 24, 2011, 01:11:24 pm »

Just managed to get a perfectly flat, warm, heavily forested embark with a volcano as an open pit in the surface and a stream source. Currently embarking on a strip-mining operation.

Also, apparently embarking with 2k+ granite boulders gave me two wagons instead of one.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: April 24, 2011, 01:41:36 pm »

So, the guy who killed the forgotten beast finally died.

The poison apparently worked in three stages: first a fever, then numbness, then getting randomly killed by a Draltha.

jappipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: April 24, 2011, 02:14:46 pm »

Hey, let's put temperature on to kill apply magma on that stupid noble.
*A Lion has bled to death*
What. How?
*goes back to the surface*

LOL

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #12888 on: April 24, 2011, 02:57:39 pm »

Spoiler: HFS (click to show/hide)

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: April 24, 2011, 03:41:34 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Goddamn badgers, now my broker is a dabbling biter and my expedition leader is a dabbling kicker.

EDIT: I just spotted some phantom spider webs, and the werewolf has returned.
EDIT2: The expedition leader started off biting the werewolf's tail to hold it in place while the manager lined up a shot with his crossbow to the werewolf's head. I thought werewolves were scary.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:29:17 pm by McDwarf »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: April 24, 2011, 04:37:31 pm »

Holy gosh, I welcomed the queen inside my fortress. It's my very first time without royalty dying upon arrival. And as expected, she has no preference, either. I love her so much already.  :'(
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12891 on: April 24, 2011, 05:15:35 pm »

Project acquifer has brought me quite a lot of satisfactions...and problems. Having channeled and removed ramps everywhere in my Dry moat where the water is channeled when needed, a siege decided to land on a line of ground...from where they cannot move. i'm keeping the distances until they leave, but if all the sieges are like that, phew. and sigh, also, i want to use my amok-damn trained war crocodiles to bring chaos. and my tamed chipmunks and rats! on the plus side, finally the two caravan worth of merchants finally died and drowned. only dwarfs pass through safely, the rest, i drown and raze.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: April 24, 2011, 08:19:36 pm »

the humans seem to have infinite elephants - 1745 elephant meat and counting
building an atomsmasher to destroy 30000 stone... gonna be a while...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: April 24, 2011, 08:58:04 pm »

The Entire population is working to sort goods from the depot. Meanwhile, a baker's dozen dead crundles and a giant olm need butchered before they rot. The militia killed them as a training exercise. I should disable the butchers' hauling labors so they can finish the task at hand.

I need to construct a pump stack to bring magma to our smiths with greater efficiency...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: April 24, 2011, 10:44:26 pm »

Ye cats. Just had my third forgotten beast ever, a silverfish made of rhodolite. Marshalled defenses to hold it off at my main cavern gate, where it looked like it was going. Got a lot of "Urist McScaredypants cancels drink: Forgotten Beast". Finally went to check them out. While I'd been waiting for it in the caverns, it flew up to my damn keep and was futzing about up there. *Facepalm* Ordered my squads up there and it got shot. I did not know that such things could fly.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: April 25, 2011, 02:01:15 am »

A black crab FB with horns came along.
In a cave full of water.
He might aswell swim in there for years to come.

And now, an one eyed pterodactyl. With noxious secretions or something.
It broke a swordsdwarf's right elbow before being horribly murdered.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:17:20 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: April 25, 2011, 02:27:16 am »

I'm building a invader obsidianizer.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: April 25, 2011, 02:38:06 am »

After losing my previous fort to basically everything attacking at once and the resulting tantrum spiral, I decided to gen a new world and start over- this time I'm going to find the magma *before* I start digging out the pump tower, for one thing.

Problem is, while normally in a new fort my FPS stays close to the cap of 200, here it immediately drops to 40 or so. I tried looking around with reveal to see if the magma sea was draining somewhere, but everything looks normal.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: April 25, 2011, 02:49:12 am »

I'm building a invader obsidianizer.
Tested it on some elf traders. It was... beautiful. They dropped right off the retractable bridge into the water, then watched in horror as the magma poured in on top of them. Now I get to wait for the magma to evaporate, then I can harvest the obsidian and do it all again, except with gobbos, titans, and everything in between. And more elves.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: April 25, 2011, 03:03:50 am »

Tested it on some elf traders. It was... beautiful. They dropped right off the retractable bridge into the water, then watched in horror as the magma poured in on top of them. Now I get to wait for the magma to evaporate, then I can harvest the obsidian and do it all again, except with gobbos, titans, and everything in between. And more elves.

Bear in mind that retractable bridges won't retract for large enough creatures. Titans definitely qualify. You'll need a dodge-em trap for the big fellows.
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 3839