Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124292 times)

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12825 on: April 22, 2011, 01:43:06 pm »

8 1/2 z-levels deep in my stripmine... (about 30% of a 4x4 embark)
the elevated road over the river is complete...
25864 stone and counting
year 34

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12826 on: April 22, 2011, 02:13:42 pm »

Embarked on a glacier. After a frantic start with a polar bear crippling a miner, they are now very busy throwing a huge party. In a glacier. When they're supposed to bring me some fuggin magma. Silly dorfs.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12827 on: April 22, 2011, 04:58:41 pm »

Embarked on a narrow strip of ocean, with land on the left and right.
It appears to be the dividing point between the land of the living and the land of the dead.
Currently there is a skeletal panda on one side and a werewolf on the other. In the past there have also been moose and turkeys, both the living kind and the dead kind. Undead are always on the left of the ocean, living on the right.
Dwarves are on the right side.

I managed to get a small burrow dug into the fire clay and a door installed before the werewolf showed up, so my dwarfs are safe for now, but I didn't get all of my supplies inside.

The dwarves have called this place "Bridgegate," so the obvious thing to do is build a giant bridge gate from the land of the living to the land of the dead. But that is going to have to wait until this werewolf leaves, as my starting seven have no way of surviving it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12828 on: April 22, 2011, 05:01:22 pm »

Elves got ambushed by bowgobs much to my annoyance. (Them dying means I have to go and dump all their crap myself instead of just letting them haul it back away)  A trader's chocobo takes a bolt to the wing and passes out.

The elf instead of letting the bird have a quick death at the hands of the goblins decides instead to drag it across the rocky wasteland by the reins while it is unconscious.

The poor thing keeps waking up only to fall unconscious again as the elf uses it as a living shield while dragging it across jagged obsidian rocks..   Damn hypocrites.

EDIT: The chocobo died.  But another elf trader's horse is in the same situation.  However instead of bolts flying at it it has a goblin bashing it over the head again and again with a crossbow as the elf drags it along the ground.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:10:35 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12829 on: April 22, 2011, 05:48:55 pm »

Got my first danger room set up, and holy shit why did I never use one of these before? It's like an instant super-soldier making machine.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12830 on: April 22, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »

Shitshitshit a whole conga line of giant badgers just berserked and ran into my entrance right as the game paused to autosave on the first summer. Current military assets:
-1 steel greataxe
-1 full set of steel armor (chainmail x2, breastplate x1, greaves x1, gauntlets x1, low boots x1 (civ with no effin' high boots again), helm x1
-War Dogx5, 2 of which have moderate injuries from the last GBB attack.
-War Tiger x2

No military dorfs. No time to link up the drawbridge. What should I do, apart from breaching the volcano that happens to be right next to my entrance, with conveniently placed tunnels already dug to it?

Edit: Well that was a bit of unecessary panic. I managed to get a wall up fast enough. The savage beasts still hunger for dwarven arms, but they remain outside, while we are most emphatically inside, likely for the duration.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:58:31 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12831 on: April 22, 2011, 06:14:00 pm »

Violetmine - 252, Late Spring

Just starting out, in a terrifying frozen tundra.  No plants, no trees, no water (besides the aquifer beneath our feet) and monsterious creatures roam about.

We are digging out a basic storage and shelter as well as working on piercing the aquifer (which will not only give us water ultimately but also allow us access to stone).  We hunted down some beasts and converted them into extra food and are now working at crafting some more ammo and training some war dogs for protection, we've already had one werewolf raid...

Here's hoping..

-MB

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12832 on: April 22, 2011, 07:45:00 pm »

well, had my first siege, and it went extremely well there was only one group, it looked like 1 swordgoblin and 12 macegoblins, and about 9 of them decided to try their hand at blocking their way through my 10 long copper serrated blades, none of those guys made it through, though one guy just kinda sat there on the very first one, which was actually, annoyingly, a masterful mechanism and blade, and blocked for about three pages...

after a while the other ones said f*ck it and left, when i finally let my dwarves leave the burrow far down in the fort to gather the gobblinite

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12833 on: April 22, 2011, 10:06:42 pm »

My tower-thing is going pretty nicely.  However, everyone's unhappy, and everyone's friends.  Maybe I should start making bedrooms.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12834 on: April 23, 2011, 02:08:39 am »

Damn Troll running amok in the caverns. By the time I receive a warning, he's already beating one of my Herbalists to a pulp. I send my melee squad after it. My Axedwarf manages to chop off its arm but LEAVES TO TAKE A NAP before finishing the job. Then I had a stupid Speardwarf who refused to let go of her wooden training spear doing a Benny Hill impression for the next two minutes. She gets tired as well, so they all leave the Troll in peace so it can then tear apart ANOTHER of my Herbalists. This time I send BOTH squads after it. Naturally my Archers are there first and make short work of it. Then my lazy Axedwarf trundles by and plants his axe in the Troll's head to finish it off. What is it with this game and Axedwarves doing none of the work and taking all of the credit??

zarokima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12835 on: April 23, 2011, 03:22:21 am »

Goblins invaded. I had a squad of low-level hammerdwarves ready, but this was the first time I've seen any military action at all, so I wasn't exactly prepared. Chaos ensued as my military attacked the goblins and the civilians ran around like chickens with their heads cut off. About a dozen were killed, their loved ones started tantruming, and about half the goblins were still rampaging. In a desperate attempt to at least take the goblins down with us, I ordered the lever to the floodgates be pulled. I had been working on a waterfall when the goblins attacked and had not completed the drainage, so the fort began to flood. I had the few sane survivors remove all the doors so they would all drown instead of starve trapped in their rooms. As I waited for the inevitable, a wave of migrants arrived. Then came a smaller wave of goblins. I'm not sure where the goblins went after that, but I'm currently watching the last survivor, a small child, run from the haunting ghosts of his parents (and some other dude).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into a ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12836 on: April 23, 2011, 04:07:44 am »

A skilled hammer dwarf and proficient weaponsmith immigrant arrived on his own, i was very happy with this.
He got a strange mood and... and...

http://img.ie/14c06.png

I believe i have the best dwarf in existance of dwarf kind. Right here.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12837 on: April 23, 2011, 04:31:46 am »

lol...

i've gotten my second, not useless artifact in my fort that's been going for almost 3 years...its a stone weapon rack...with an "engraving" of my pretty purple mace...i imagine its more like a replica of the mace sitting in the rack...or the guy who made it was trying to tell me something, im not 100% sure though

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12838 on: April 23, 2011, 05:56:43 am »

5 dwarves. ~150 corpses. Will they manage to bury them all before they get battered to death by the vengeful undead?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12839 on: April 23, 2011, 06:00:29 am »

5 dwarves. ~150 corpses. Will they manage to bury them all before they get battered to death by the vengeful undead?

Bodies -> Pit/Magma

A piece of stone -> Memorial slab

Memorial slab + Engraver -> Engraved Memorial slab
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 3842