Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112735 times)

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12795 on: April 21, 2011, 04:35:20 pm »

Welp, a single masterwork Longland Flour roast managed to pay for every single item the humans were offering, so I was forced to give away my cage full of all that livestock I don't want.

My fortress is currently ushering in a barony, so I'm going to see if that dungeon-master-not-showing-up-problem is fixed or not.

I'm still trying to plan out how to carve out my workshop area, as I prefer to have all my underground walls engraved and not constructed.

Also, I still don't know what to do with that minotaur sitting around in that cage.  Perhaps I should make an enclosed labyrinth to throw goblins into. 

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12796 on: April 21, 2011, 04:59:45 pm »

...Well, not really. Actually what I got was a bunch of legendary military dwarves. This might have something to do with the fact that there are no important leaders in my civ.
That's not a bug. Your homeland died.
No, his monarch died during worldgen and wasn't replaced by the time he stopped it and started playing.
Really? From what I'd learned, "no leaders" meant no civ.

Anyw-

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED!
... and by "vile force of darkness", we mean "one measley axegoblin and a dozen lashers".

Yeah, that ended about as quickly as you'd expect. Back to work, Craftgates!

Current project: roofing over the pasture and installing an apiary and moving the slaughterhouse upstairs, too.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12797 on: April 21, 2011, 05:06:53 pm »

So, I figured an army of 10 unarmoured axedwarves could take down a forgotten beast. I'll never know if they could, but they definitely couldn't take on two at once. My fortress went from a population over 50 to a population of 4, literally in a couple minutes.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: April 21, 2011, 05:29:01 pm »

Argh, bugged siege. They are standing and doing nothing. (bug 4552)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12799 on: April 21, 2011, 05:54:10 pm »

Argh, bugged siege. They are standing and doing nothing. (bug 4552)

I'm starting to think that's what they're supposed to do. Seige warfare is about keeping the enemy inside their fortress, deprived of outside supplies or assistance, until everybody starves, goes mad from the isolation, or makes a futile attempt at a counterattack. That's why the best anti-seige weapons can kill the goblins wherever they are on the map.

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12800 on: April 21, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »

I got a monarch!

...Well, not really. Actually what I got was a bunch of legendary military dwarves. This might have something to do with the fact that there are no important leaders in my civ.

I take it some things are still bugged? Dammit, this was the first time I ever stuck with a fort this long ;_;

That's not a bug. Your homeland died.

No, his monarch died during worldgen and wasn't replaced by the time he stopped it and started playing.

Well, damn. So much for that. Guess I might as well unleash the clowns after the spikes are done. Should only take another year or so if everyone works on it.

Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a second siege. So far, I've only seen one FB and one siege. Kind of depressing. It's like no one cares...

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12801 on: April 21, 2011, 06:11:18 pm »

The forgotten beast Nunur has arrived! An enormous bloated ladybug with a square shell and poisonous vapors.

Except apparently it was actually one of Cloverfield's ticks, because every damn dwarf that came in contact with those vapors promptly bled out and then exploded in a pool of gore.

And I'm beginning to realize what a monster this game has made me, because I thought that was frickin' awesome and am anticipating a delightful tantrum kick. :D

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12802 on: April 21, 2011, 08:35:44 pm »

"God save thee, ancient Mariner!
From the fiends, that plague thee thus!--
Why look'st thou so?"--With my cross-bow
I shot the albatross.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course, this is gonna lead to my fortress' immediate doom. Oh well. At least I almost managed to boil sixteen werewolves alive, killed a forgotten beast in two blows and had a wrestler single-handedly chase off an illithid ambush using only his mining pick and a lot of dedication... but of course, now that the albatross is dead, everything's gonna get worse. Sigh...

(Reference..)
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12803 on: April 21, 2011, 09:37:17 pm »

Rime of the Ancient Mariner? In MY Dwarf Fortress? *fans self* I love this community.

Anyway, the giant enclosed pasture is coming along nicely.

A Forgotten Beast spawned on an inaccessible cliff. It can't fly.

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12804 on: April 21, 2011, 09:55:44 pm »

I'm trying to decide how to place my traps now that I am in possession of acceptable-quality mechanisms and glass components.  Steel would have been preferable, but I need that for equipping my military.

Since my fortress entrance is built into the side of a brook channel, I don't have much room to place winding corridors and other ludicrous pathways before the entrance.  I suppose I'll have to do that inside the fortress.

Also, which is better:  A weapon trap moat, or a spike moat?

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12805 on: April 21, 2011, 09:58:34 pm »

Rime of the Ancient Mariner? In MY Dwarf Fortress? *fans self* I love this community.

You're welcome ;)

Also, I was kind of waiting for something like that to happen since I discovered I had albatrosses outside the fort and a hunter with a crossbow en route to them... :P

//A, tired
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12806 on: April 21, 2011, 10:07:19 pm »

Also, which is better:  A weapon trap moat, or a spike moat?

Is this a trick question?

A Magma moat.
Never pet a burning dog.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12807 on: April 21, 2011, 10:16:33 pm »

The next FB to show up at Craftgates chose a more reasonable location to do so, was made of stone, and brought a stun/dizziness-inducing dust attack that made it annoyingly hard to kill.

One of my hammerdwarfs bit its head off.

Let me repeat, this thing is MADE OF STONE and a hammerdwarf bit its head off.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12808 on: April 21, 2011, 10:37:40 pm »

Aw, what a waste, a Legendary Stone Crafter (who's been my main source of income for years - he arrived Grand Master...) was taken by a fey mood. Hope he gets something nice from the two gypsum stones and silver bar he's claimed...

//A, annoyed

Edit: Yeah, wow, a gypsum earring worth 21600. Meh...

Also, I now have 13 legendary dwarves in my fort, out of a total population of 64. Hm...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:39:48 pm by Alarion »

afterthought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12809 on: April 21, 2011, 11:33:10 pm »

Going very dwarf-powered this time for my fortress defense, and it's working. Basically my trade depot area is a sort of arena for the siegers to enter. It's surrounded on most sides by magma and connected to my barracks via steel doors. I have my axe & hammer dwarves step through the doors, mostly to bait the siegers, then the doors are locked, the level above manned with marksdwaves, and once 3/4 of the siege is in the tunnel, I close a bridge behind them. This forces the siegers forward, where a huge and awesome melee ensues. Got my first proper test of it. At least 60 or 70 goblins dead and no injuries, though everyone is well trained and steel-equipped.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes that guy in the bottom slept through the whole fight. And he's only killed one goblin so far, you'd think he'd be excited for a chance at more.

Edit: Horay for F+D+M+Down arrow macro
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:37:32 pm by afterthought »
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 3842