Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112548 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12765 on: April 20, 2011, 01:30:56 pm »

In rapid succession, I lost four dwarves to a forgotten beast, got my first fell mood, flooded my food stockpile (accidentally), a tantrum spiral started, my mayor went to prison for murder, and my captain of the guard spent too much time tantruming to keep the peace.

But other than that, everything is going splendidly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:01:22 pm by Samuel »

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12766 on: April 20, 2011, 01:55:33 pm »

Earthfold has perished...

Welcome the rise of Oilymurder!

(Fortress Defense II Mod)

251 (late spring)
Population: 7
Wealth : 1830?

We set out to colonize an undead desert (Terrifying), while the desert itself is relatively rich in resources (some trees, a few plants, and water one season out of the year) the undead are active.  So far we haven't met with anything we cannot handle, but we are actively trying to get defenses up.  We have pierced the aquifer and are beginning construction of lowers halls.  Our upper food and stores have been largely completed and we have a makeshift wooden wall surrounding our entry way guarded by four war dogs.

We managed to pull some fish/turtles out of the ponds before they dried up and have begun farming, we also have a mule that we can slaughter if need be, and the dogs as a last resort.  We have water from the aquifer, the farms will soon give way to booze, and we have leftover stores from our trip out here.

-MB

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:25:31 pm by Mickey Blue »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12767 on: April 20, 2011, 04:35:39 pm »

I believe I have the worst of all possible worlds: undead badgers and Giant Badgers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12768 on: April 20, 2011, 05:57:37 pm »

It looks like our civilization have no important leaders. Oh. The second wave of migrants came. Looks like we're going to be 19 dwarves hugging together in this glacier for a very, very long time. Ok. Gonna be interesting a fortress.

We've pierced the caverns ... at level 40-something ! Which probably means we missed the first cavern layers or something. Now that we've opened the caverns, we have to wall them off, and since my stairwell end in the middle of nothing, I don't know how to do that. I can't just construct it to the ground and wall around me, since we're over water. Hmmm.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12769 on: April 20, 2011, 06:03:49 pm »

We've pierced the caverns ... at level 40-something ! Which probably means we missed the first cavern layers or something. Now that we've opened the caverns, we have to wall them off, and since my stairwell end in the middle of nothing, I don't know how to do that. I can't just construct it to the ground and wall around me, since we're over water. Hmmm.

You can build an up stair on an up/down stair, effectively overwriting it. If I recall correctly, it has to be at least one level above the bottom of the up/down chute, otherwise the game won't let you place it.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12770 on: April 20, 2011, 07:29:07 pm »

The side of the river is coated in a mixture of pus and blood. It's mostly from naked mole dogs.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12771 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38:40 pm »

Holy shit.
I have, no bullshit, 3 forgotten beasts in the caverns. 3 different monsters that could each probably wipe out my fortress individually. Luckily, I've sealed off the caverns, and hopefully, they'll have an epic showdown, after which I can kill the survivor. As I was building the floors to seal off the caverns, a seige showed up, ready to test out my spear-bridges of falling, watery death.

I don't know what's about to happen, but I do know it's going to be amazing.

Addendum: Oh shit, my mayor is down there with 'em.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:40:26 pm by Samuel »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12772 on: April 20, 2011, 08:04:53 pm »

I was wondering why my broker wasn't going to trade with the humans, only to find that he was dead. How? apparently my meeting area was too small, and animals kept attacking people. guys, it's a recommendation, not a requirement, to stay in that area. If you guys are all pushing in close to the animals, don't be suprised when the mule kicks you in the head.

apparently I also lost a metalcrafter and a buffalo, and who knows how many are injured.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12773 on: April 20, 2011, 08:19:19 pm »

Setting up cages near the underground lake in hopes of trapping some giant olms. Regular olms are already amazing, but soon we'll have aggressive olms over three times the size of a dwarf chained to posts outside our entrance. I'd like to see a goblin thief try get past that.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12774 on: April 20, 2011, 08:24:09 pm »

So the spear-bridge worked spectacularly. There are now 11 dead goblins in the river. When the water freezes in winter, I'll dig out all their stuff.

As for the forgotten beasts, 2 got bored and left, apparently, or are hiding in one of the undiscovered regions and are about to come destroy me. Looks like the other one that just showed up will give them a hand.

Why yes, I did set the number of beasts as high as possible during world gen, why do you ask?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12775 on: April 20, 2011, 09:52:21 pm »

Why yes, I did set the number of beasts as high as possible during world gen, why do you ask?

Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
So which setting controls the number of forgotten beasts?

My fort is progressing at the slowest possible pace. Still need rooms, but the stoneworkers still have other projects to complete that I don't want to postpone. Having limited myself to 32 high-value dwarves, ignoring children, I have little in the way of a labor force.
Okay. So a dwarf just gave birth while sleeping in the same bed as her husband, in the unassigned beds in the dining hall.
My head smith was possessed. Since she's a weaponsmith at highest skill I forced her to use an iron bar, as that's all we had worth making weapons from. When i went to unforbid the other bars I accidentally forbid and unforbid that one as well. She ended up making a magic missile spear, which instantly disintegrated into a fine mist and was lost. At least she didn't go insane...
The barrel didn't do that...
I'm going to open her up for mood candidacy again when I can update rune smith. I'm not content with possessions or artifacts that spontaneously disappear.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:31:53 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12776 on: April 20, 2011, 11:19:12 pm »

My wax worker may have just earned himself an engraved tomb, for being late on pulling a lever.

First off, my latest fort, Igerzust Stot (The Riverbed of Surprises) has its entrance build into the bed of the conjunction of a major river with two smaller rivers, at the bottom of a 15-z-level canyon, and the river is frozen eight months out of the year. It is accessed from the top of the canyon across two large bridges that meet at the top of a large spiral tower of ice. A lever at the bottom controls the bridges' retraction.

A siege arrives in late winter, three large squads of goblins, the axemen squad fairly close to the eastern bridge. I order everyone inside and the lever pulled to wait them out (military is still in training, I won't send them out to face 30+ mounted gobbos just yet). As the squad gets closer, I start wondering why the bridges haven't been retracted, and check whose taken on the job: Udil Onullebes, my wax worker. Finally he reaches the lever, and I check the bridges up top. The entire squad is sitting on top of the bridge when it disappears.

A single lever pull, without any intentional timing, killed 15 axegobs. I'm laughing my fool head off and getting ready to make this lucky bastard his nice little tomb.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12777 on: April 21, 2011, 01:59:16 am »

I got a monarch!

...Well, not really. Actually what I got was a bunch of legendary military dwarves. This might have something to do with the fact that there are no important leaders in my civ.

I take it some things are still bugged? Dammit, this was the first time I ever stuck with a fort this long ;_;

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12778 on: April 21, 2011, 05:08:38 am »

I got a monarch!

...Well, not really. Actually what I got was a bunch of legendary military dwarves. This might have something to do with the fact that there are no important leaders in my civ.

I take it some things are still bugged? Dammit, this was the first time I ever stuck with a fort this long ;_;

Monarchs do arrive, but just like in 40d, you can also start a fort at the time where a monarch has just died and there aren't any new ones.

zozeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12779 on: April 21, 2011, 09:47:02 am »

I am currently 20 years into my current fort.  For about 2 years now my legendary mason has been spamming:
urst McMason cancels building: can't reach job site.
But I have never been in the area long enough to see what was in her way.  Just now I was watching the progress on one of my megaprojects and saw the mason with a gaggle of cats following her around.  I looked at her relationships page and found that she has forty five pet cats.  45!!!  I have a cat lady. 
Pages: 1 ... 850 851 [852] 853 854 ... 3842