Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 849 850 [851] 852 853 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112397 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12750 on: April 19, 2011, 03:36:19 pm »

An experiment involving dropping a giant piece of stone into a magma pit ended with a miner and a turkey on the bottom of the magma sea. Both were expendable.

Also, I've found multiple adamantine veins, so I'll be able to mine it out with less risk of letting the demons out (again).

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12751 on: April 19, 2011, 04:05:55 pm »

Multiple cases of !!Dwarf!!
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12752 on: April 19, 2011, 04:11:51 pm »

The construction of the anti-goblin bridge is underway. What shall I put on the bottom of the pits on either side? water? spikes? weapon traps? Vicious animals of some sort? just dig down to the magma sea?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12753 on: April 19, 2011, 04:13:12 pm »

All of the above. Can't have survivors claiming some fame from living through that kind of pain.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12754 on: April 19, 2011, 05:56:58 pm »

Earthfold

Population - 55
Created Wealth - Just over 130K
Food Stores - 1084

We just thwarted two low end sieges (Frogmen and Dark Stranglers), I have my soldiers training by fighting some of the local tribes (Panda Men).  I could use more soldiers (I'd prefer to get some at least semi-trained, but I'll settle for untrained if I have to).  Have dogs replicating as fast as possible to make a mass of war dogs to help with repelling enemies and adding a roof to my ground level to allow for more mobility for my archers.

So far so good, food and booze production is great, aquifer cistern set up to deliver water to different parts of my fort when needed, and got all my major industries up.

And the icing on the cake, found some adamantin (Hurrah!), gonna wait to use it until my smiths are more proficient.

-MB

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12755 on: April 19, 2011, 09:25:12 pm »

Well I decided to reload from an earlier save because I got tired of being in constant siege mode for no reason.

So right now I'm sitting on a whole bunch of non-masterwork ballista and catapult parts that I need to get rid of, and the next caravan isn't for another two months.  Also, I'm having the entire 180+ bedroom floor all smoothed out and furnished with at least exceptional furniture, which will take a while, and I don't have enough dedicated masons clearing out all the useless stone leftover from digging.

I have enough food and wine to feed the entire population for twenty years or so, not counting the farmers and butchers set to automatic.  My single cook is churning out masterwork roasts like fries and my single 5x5 wild strawberry plot constantly has unused and rotting strawberries.  All the badgers are being wiped out by my master hunters, and all my livestock is shredding the ground back into sand and clay while constantly churning out babies and eggs.

Man, I'm bored.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12756 on: April 19, 2011, 10:34:18 pm »

I definitely have a problem with fort abandoning. One of my recruits in the new fort was pushed into a pond and drowned when trying to beat a warthog with a sheild. To prevent this from happening again, all of the numerous ponds now have ramps at some point.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12757 on: April 20, 2011, 12:02:13 am »

A goblin siege is sitting outside, annoyed that the spiral tower leading down into the river (and my fortress) is inaccessible without the bridges. The seasons of this cold desert have been very helpful, and their latest assist as been the spring thaw claiming eight goblins and their mount in the northern river, including one hammerlord. The entire contingent of ogres is also floating in the eastern river, but they either can swim or are tall enough not to care. When the freeze hits in a season or so, however, they too will learn. I only hope it will be enough to scare the rest off.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12758 on: April 20, 2011, 12:54:27 am »

so i've embarked on a joyous wilds, that showed up as plains, but apparently there was a difference in elevations, i got a nice little left that i dug my way into...so far i'm making a ton of copper and gold so i can make rose gold for statues in my statue garden...and i got one platinum ingot from my first dwarven caravan...gonna make then melt it untill my metalsmith gives me a masterpiece lol

skinkabamba

• Escaped Lunatic
  • mmm... tantrumspirals...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12759 on: April 20, 2011, 03:32:52 am »

heh :D Just recently founded the bestest fort ewah! Well, maybe not the best but still. Savage swamp, with large deposits of iron and lignite, but VERY cold climate for a non freezing area.
Only the summer months are without ice and snow cowering everything :D And even "early summer" tends to have few snow storms.
I'm loving it!

lukasrygh23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12760 on: April 20, 2011, 04:56:13 am »

My fort is currently having an elf/donkey problem. i built Anti-immigrant defences when i reached 70 dwarves. Sadly there was an elf caravan inside at that point so i get a serious Donkey problem. I think it went insane. It took 3 axedwarves (who were training at time), 2 War dogs and 3/4 other dogs. it was hilarious.

EDIT: oh god my Pc crashed. Now trying to kill it without crashing (attempt NO.5 at last count)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:51:39 am by lukasrygh23 »
i dont tend to spoiler my text, i tell ppl the truth. how can u have spoilers in a sandbox(ish) game?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12761 on: April 20, 2011, 05:39:34 am »

Two words: Undead badgers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12762 on: April 20, 2011, 06:40:07 am »

Windstandards, 10 years in. Established as a desert frontier fort, now a bustling city of 135 inhabitants.

All is good. Multiple seiges and beasts have been defeated by a combination of our swordsmasters, elite marksdwarves, ballistae, catapults and serrated discs. Despite the harshness of daily life in the desert, surrounded on all sides by those that would see us dead, my dwarves live secure and well fed lives behind our concentric walls which are soaked with the blood of those who think it a good idea to try and assult them. The baron demands bolts, which we are happy to provide. 5 ghosts of risen visiting merchants who never managed to leave offer some character to the otherwise featureless land.

Confident in our defenses, we have engaged in much crafting and art - we are home to legendary artisans in stonework, woodwork, clothing, leatherwork, bone carving, gemwork and metalwork. If traders were able to reach us through the hordes of enemy that even now surround our land they would take tales of our wealth back to the mountainhome. We are rich in a way I would not have imagined when we first dug into the harsh desert sands. All we want for is wood, as the saguro yield little in the way of useable timber. Tentative expeditions to find a source of magma to sustain our smelting have as of yet found nothing, but I remain hopeful.

Heres to another 10 years of fruitful industry.
This is a blank sig.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12763 on: April 20, 2011, 07:30:34 am »

Gonna get Nobles soon.

Given the lack of military, I think I might set them up in giant, above ground rooms with lots of windows and statutues, and heavily trapped entrances.

That ought to draw the nasty little goblins away from the rest of the fortress.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12764 on: April 20, 2011, 08:00:33 am »

Gonna get Nobles soon.

Given the lack of military, I think I might set them up in giant, above ground rooms with lots of windows and statutues, and heavily trapped entrances.

That ought to draw the nasty little goblins away from the rest of the fortress.

Now, it makes sense.
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.
Pages: 1 ... 849 850 [851] 852 853 ... 3842