Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 841 842 [843] 844 845 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111895 times)

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12630 on: April 15, 2011, 12:42:57 pm »

"The Feral Rims", 10 sworddwarves with copper, steel, modded metals, some adamantine equipment, and a baby-shield
vs
A siege

Play semi-epic music...

Result: 11 full coffins.

FAIL

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12631 on: April 15, 2011, 01:00:09 pm »

I had a Goblin siege broken by single sheriff Borioth with a crossbow. Wasn't even that great a shot. Only one of them got to test my traps and found that, while it could deflect and block most of the saw blades and axe blades, that the long fall into the pit was not so easy to block. One prone Goblin lay there bleeding for a bit, the sheriff kept shooting at it and missed every single shot, before it managed to drag itself back off the map.

The problem with the positioning of my fort, I realised, is that it's quite close to the edge, so a lot of the sieges and ambushes are very sudden.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12632 on: April 15, 2011, 01:02:25 pm »

getting my military graveyard made, platinum coffins in a silver floored, silver walled room.. perhaps I should do gold and rosegold to spice up the colors though...
also, saving my nobles life.. hes been a great duchess, only demands fine pewter items, querns and battleaxes. locked her in her room so the diplomat could meet her and forgot about her, was looking through the jobs and saw "hunting for small animals" and decided I should unlock her door...

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #12633 on: April 15, 2011, 01:27:39 pm »

I am tired of my fort! The final decision has been taken! I'm going to breach the circus!!

Starting to dig...
dig...
dig...
dig...
dig...
dig...

I've dug throug 15 levels of cotton candy...

From z-level 59 to 45 and still nothing...

Level 41: no clowns...

Finally! Level 39, exactly 20 levels of pure cotton candy! !!FFFFUUUUUNNNN!! INCOMING!!!!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12634 on: April 15, 2011, 01:54:26 pm »

I had a kitty pwn a Lost Adventurer (genesis mod undead creature thingie...)! Proof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was pleased  8)

//A, switching forts

My first FB was killed when an injured kitten jumped at it from behind and bit its brain, thereby slaying the beast that so many wardwarves could not.

It died shortly afterwards of injuries sustained in the fight.
[Signature]

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12635 on: April 15, 2011, 02:30:01 pm »

Okay turns out flying creatures can travel up diagonally. Bushtit FB from earlier slipped into the cavern stairwell and got into my sleeping district. It took out the old brewmaster and a couple of new marksdwarves (aged 12-15) who were on their way to get some shut-eye.

I've never seen so many delightful red down arrows, everyone's such good friends with everyone else. No one's miserable though, they're all just... unhappy; maybe I should've turned off the mist generator.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12636 on: April 15, 2011, 03:16:42 pm »

new land, embark zones seems nice from screen, lot's of everything.
turns out it's a white white land filled with snow and iced lakes.
i say WTF. five minutes later, everything melts revealing bushes, trees and the like.
i think...okay...
but here's the catch, there's an INVASION of RATS. My cats happily kill over 25 of them.
and while i was here writing this, it seems BADGERS have decided to go all-out. Gotta love my woodcutter cutting them down!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12637 on: April 15, 2011, 04:10:03 pm »

Finally found magma and I'm setting up for when the freakin' mountianhome finally sends me some iron/steel. In the meantime, I've got smelters working on stocking me up on copper for the time being. Now all I'm waiting on is an invasion...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12638 on: April 15, 2011, 04:55:50 pm »

Heheheh... The hauler/trader that was mauled last year by a werewolf apparently has permanent sensory and nervous damage, and is unable to grasp objects, so he is constantly spamming cancellations whenever he tries to store his crap. Execution chamber coming up right after the miners finish the current dig...

...Which is a second 4-layer aquifer breach for the purpose of setting up a trapped entrance. Joy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12639 on: April 15, 2011, 05:03:10 pm »

I decided to cheat and remove the grazer tags from my animals since I live in a mountainous region and thus don't have that much vegetation to be eaten and I was tired of seeing them starve to death or getting butchered in ambushes.  I know, I know, it's cheating and I'm not proud of it... but I have some amazing indoor pastures now!
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12640 on: April 15, 2011, 05:37:02 pm »

Tobul Dorenvush, Child Laborer has created Anamnakas, a raw adamantine toy axe.
 ???
 :-\
 >:(

FUUUUUUU-

Oh well, at least it boosted the value of the fortress by 997,200 Urists. Kinda ironic name too, "Agesenjoyed", considering how I cheat and activate hauling labors for my child dwarves. It even has pictures of unicorns and diamonds in... more raw adamantine?!

Effin' kids. I need to hurry up and finish that execution chamber.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Trickysticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12641 on: April 15, 2011, 05:49:20 pm »

My fort is raging at how the goblin ambush shoves a dwarf into the river. I hope he doesn't come back as a ghost...

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12642 on: April 15, 2011, 09:18:27 pm »

My fort is raging at how the goblin ambush shoves a dwarf into the river. I hope he doesn't come back as a ghost...
Memorial slab's enough since you can't recover the body.

OR you could just let the ghost be. He'll move around, annoy the other dwarves, start parties...
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12643 on: April 15, 2011, 11:16:44 pm »

Do they still start parties if they died ecstatic? That was a rather entertaining update...

Anyway, my fort is going smooth. Migrants are being sorted and starved/accepted appropriately, and I received human and cobald caravans just now. Glad that merchants-kill-eachother bug was finally fixed. The cobald merchants are named Week, Hur, Goblins, and Horee. Yep, DFlang functions properly. :P

I still need to produce enough coffins to keep up with the migrants. I'm only letting married couples and their children, highly skilled and useful workers and pets in. The stoneworkers are busy, so while everybody is busy doing nothing I decided they can all help smooth and engrave the fortress.

bwahahah! The humans accepted a deal with a 5* profit margin, composed entirely of mechanisms and the spilled beer that multiplies annually! Either they've been smoking the same shit as the elves or my broker is a legendary conman.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:22:00 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12644 on: April 15, 2011, 11:57:29 pm »

I'ma do it. I'm going to actually mod something this time, and it won't crash DF (too much).

I know what I'm going to do with this, but I'd still like some suggestions.
Pages: 1 ... 841 842 [843] 844 845 ... 3842