Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111623 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12585 on: April 13, 2011, 06:14:20 am »

*siege mode*

mcuristsoldier:"sir, there are too many of them, they are in the fort!!!"
overseer:"UNLEASH THE ACQUIFER!!"
mcuristsoldier:"sir...there are also civilians still alive...the..."
overseer:"YOU WILL DO AS I COMAND!" *acquifer unleashed.
*mcuristn1,n2,n3,n4ecc* have drowned. *siege lifted*
Overseer:"thus it's done"
uristsoldier:"oh my god it's terrible...you're a monster!"
*throwing a tantrumé
urist soldier is beaten to death by a crossbow.
overseer:"there is need of discipline in this fort. let us proceed"
*and then the !!fun!! magma ended it all.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: April 13, 2011, 08:31:30 am »

Well. That actually went... Quite well, considering! :D
My marksdwarf As took out the cave croc and its rider, and then moved on to the giant olms sitting right outside my gate... Sadly he's still a learner, and only managed to injure them a little, which is just as well, as once they regained consciousness they charged through the door and into my fort... With a few (mostly) minor casualties, and one death, they were repelled and cut to bits, along with their macegoblin riders. My military commander, Beryl, is one of the happiest dwarves in the fort... He's escatic, and his kill list is getting pretty freakin' long!

Meanwhile, remember the two simultaneous forgotten beasts I mentioned? :P
Well, one of them went down pretty easy to the goblins, and at first it seemed the other one would too, they sliced it open in a few places, but then... All the goblins suddenly started collapsing, paralysed by the deadly monster-finch dust! Wow, it was one HELL of a deadly syndrome... They were all out cold, and the overgrown finch is just going around at his (its?) leisure, killing them off.
That's about... THREE large goblin squads, wiped out by ONE beast! Way ta go, Muk!! :D
Unfortunately, the biggest, baddest squad is still mostly intact, missing only one of its number...
The demon lawgiver is still alive, on his olm. :/ Hopefully Muk will wander out of the building he's in and see them.
Should be interesting, a giant, patchy-feathered wobbling finch with horns versus a massive, obese and hairy humanoid lizard riding what is, as far as I can tell, some sort of ****ed up frog. xD
God I love you, DF!!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12587 on: April 13, 2011, 01:06:08 pm »

I got ambushed several times.
And to top it all off, a giant enemy cave crab spawned.

EDIT: also rutherer triplets yaaay
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:15:51 pm by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Scheming Koala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12588 on: April 13, 2011, 05:44:48 pm »

My first elf trade caravan came and right when the unloaded their good at my trade depot 5 or 7 Rhesus macaque came out of nowhere and stole their stuff and ran

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: April 13, 2011, 05:58:38 pm »

Well, the fact that the terrifying half of my map is covered in phantom spider webs helps make up for the constant werewolf attacks, as it jumpstarted my cloth manufacturing without the need to breach the caverns. On that note, a werewolf killed a fisherdwarf and then used his sock to beat the stuffing out of my useless trader for the next month. By the time my lazy-arse military finally got to the scene, it had been collapsing from exhaustion for days. The trader, unfortunately, was back on his feet after about five RT minutes in the hospital.

Progress on the moat drainage tunnels above the aquifer is currently underway, and most of the holding tank has been paved.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12590 on: April 13, 2011, 06:01:31 pm »

Letterchanted has finally died. After two Goblin seigs reduced the population from 110 to 18, the few survivors struggled to survive until a giant, hairy, winged flatworm came out of nowhere and massacred everyone. They did everything they could to stop it, but steel battle axes glanced off it's body, and even after they somehow managed to cut off both it's wings and it's stinger, the bastard just wouldn't die. I managed to lock it in a room and abandon the fort. Luckily, it hadn't killed any of the children. If you abandon the fortress, the survivors leave, right? So it's possible they'll show up again?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: April 13, 2011, 06:58:12 pm »

Self-sustaining agriculture cycles have been established. The food is being grown at the correct rate for approximately 60% of plant production to be converted to sweet, sweet liquor, with no micromanagement whatsoever. Goat herds are safely established within the keep walls on sustainable pastures, with three viable breeding pairs. Current food stocks:
Meat: 384
Fish: 348
Plant: 2088
Seed: 1383
Drink: 2341
Other(mostly masterful roasts): 1655

At the current population of 92, this cycle can sustain with little supervision beyond occasional mass slaughter orders for baby goats and puppies minicows, along with excavation of new food storage, allowing me to concentrate on mining out that beautiful blue stuff. Of course, that pop count may go down once the melancholy mason offs himself. Stupid bastard apparently didn't realize that I had everything he needed unforbidden in stockpiles less than 50 tiles away. Oh well, it'd probably just have been Dreamedbolt's fifth useless artifact amulet.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12592 on: April 13, 2011, 07:53:59 pm »

I just killed two cats, a miner, and a brewer while trying to make an indoor pasture (w/ grass) for my animals)
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12593 on: April 13, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »

I have tons upon tons of marble, so I could easily get some steel production going. You know, if I had any freaking iron ore at all.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12594 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:20 pm »

A complex web of 7/7 water tiles...
A flood...
Mass cave-ins.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10273-vigorfences
epic.

It took 6 game-months, and cost the lives of two miners, but I have completed the ditches and drains to dry the plains... or whatever this screwy biome is.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10276-vigorfences

However, FPS has barely improved, from 16 to ~20
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:26:06 pm by TerryDactyl »

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: April 14, 2011, 03:33:49 am »

i am really sad...i've given up on this sinister biome, it is AWESOME! but, fucking annoying.

AWESOME! because it has multiple metals both shallow and deep, i've seen i can make a whole range of metals, iron, steel, bronze, smelting bitmous coal and sand everywhere, so i can actually have an industry not reliant on stone.

fucking annoying...because of the zombies and skeletal animals, i never realised just how happy i am to see "urist mcpussy cancelled haul wood, interupted by deer" after so many times of seeing "urist mcnormy cancelled haul wood, interrupted by zombie/skeletal deer", these forts? tantrumming usually by the end of the year because i've found that undead badger's seem to be about 100% more aggresive compared to non undead badger's, 3 forts, went down in flames because they actually walked by my minor fortifications (aka, a not completed dodge me trap, and completely removing the ramps around my entrance) and killed the cats i bring/one or two of my first seven who i quickly draft into the military.

my last one, was near PERFECT too, it was basically a backwards C, with the hole only 3 spaces wide, PERFECT for a dodge me trap, and ores EVERYWHERE...pisses me off so much ;,;

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12596 on: April 14, 2011, 08:19:09 am »

i am really sad...i've given up on this sinister biome, it is AWESOME! but, fucking annoying.

AWESOME! because it has multiple metals both shallow and deep, i've seen i can make a whole range of metals, iron, steel, bronze, smelting bitmous coal and sand everywhere, so i can actually have an industry not reliant on stone.

fucking annoying...because of the zombies and skeletal animals, i never realised just how happy i am to see "urist mcpussy cancelled haul wood, interupted by deer" after so many times of seeing "urist mcnormy cancelled haul wood, interrupted by zombie/skeletal deer", these forts? tantrumming usually by the end of the year because i've found that undead badger's seem to be about 100% more aggresive compared to non undead badger's, 3 forts, went down in flames because they actually walked by my minor fortifications (aka, a not completed dodge me trap, and completely removing the ramps around my entrance) and killed the cats i bring/one or two of my first seven who i quickly draft into the military.

my last one, was near PERFECT too, it was basically a backwards C, with the hole only 3 spaces wide, PERFECT for a dodge me trap, and ores EVERYWHERE...pisses me off so much ;,;

seems like much !!FUN!!. can you pass me the seed of the world and the coordinates? i'd like to try it.
back to the topic:
they're deciding right now who made the best Dive in the moat artistic jump edition. there is a tie between urist mcsteelarmor and weapons, or urist mclegendary miner.
i'm picking more and more vibes that i need my dwarfs to learn how to swim so.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: April 14, 2011, 10:02:27 am »

Oh god I'm loving this new fortress. Incredible map layout and it's off for an amazing start.
First my elk bird breeding program was succesful, now I just got a wave of migrants (in this case it was a good thing, I sorely needed more haulers and several professionals).
Now just as the last migrant wave came a group of crundle entered from my fortress entrance edge of the map. I had the place covered in cage traps, and then one of my dwarves decide it's a good idea to go fetch a single caged crundle in midst of a large pack of 15 uncaged of them beasties.
The herd exploded, I thought my dwarf was done for but they all panicked and half of them ran into the cage traps. The other half scattered throughout the fortress, and as a genuine fortress holiday I had everyone drafted in the military and chase down crundles. It was like looking for easter eggs, except it involved a lot of blood and claws vs hammers action . It was awesome!
Wild crundles are turning into my n1 source of meat right now. If only I could find a use for the scales.

Anyway, now I have a whole bunch of crundles caged and I'm not sure what to do with them. Personally I love reptiles and they seem like perfect pets. What do you think I should do with them?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12598 on: April 14, 2011, 11:15:56 am »

Crundles are evil. One killed my hunter by tearing his throat open >:(
Drop them all into a pit and make captive goblins meet your Crundle Bundle
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: April 14, 2011, 11:28:12 am »

I decided to reclaim my region11 fort.
Not before genociding gobbos and trolls first, though.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 3842