Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111867 times)

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12570 on: April 12, 2011, 06:49:41 pm »

I have my first case of FB blister blood pus disease spreading among my fort inhabitants... i can't find where it's coming from, it has to be a blood splatter somewhere from the epic fight to kill the thing... Terrifyingly the only casualties so far have been my livestock and three children, but i just found a fourth child with Massive Blisters over his entire body. The medical team diagnosed but no treatment scheduled... I'M WATCHING HIM SUFFOCATE IN HIS OWN PUS!

220 dwarven inhabitants, siege proof, cyclops proof, forgotten beast proof. 60 well trained iron and steel geared military that have beaten everything that's come at them!
And we're going to be taken down because a peasant couldn't get a cleaning job done fast enough!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: April 12, 2011, 07:03:12 pm »

The Forgotten Beast Usu Osmandoto has come! A huge feathered salamander. It has three broad horns and it has a bloated body. Beware it's fire!

Sent my military at it. They didn't even reach it before my Chief Medical Dwarf, who was there for some baffling reason. The Cheif Medical Dwarf took one swing at it, it dodged to the side...

and promptly fell down a pit, breaking three of it's legs. I called off the attack so it could sit there and think about it's stupidity.

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: April 12, 2011, 07:08:31 pm »

I have found that narrow bridges with traps at the ends tend to be more dangerous than trap corridors, as creatures dodge various pointy/sharp objects coming at them... straight off the bridge to drown/burn/splatter on whatever lies beneath. The only down side to this is if you build one over a river you may lose some goblinite deposits to drowning, resulting in un-retrievable valuable metals.
On the other hand it is quite funny watching the mighty goblin elite bowman dodge a cow bone bolt and fall into a magma pit... That'll teach you to have a flashing name!

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: April 12, 2011, 07:29:54 pm »

I called off the attack
Send in the Markdwarves!  Easy target practice, plus dinner for ages.  It's a win-win.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: April 12, 2011, 09:48:15 pm »

I have found that narrow bridges with traps at the ends tend to be more dangerous than trap corridors, as creatures dodge various pointy/sharp objects coming at them... straight off the bridge to drown/burn/splatter on whatever lies beneath. The only down side to this is if you build one over a river you may lose some goblinite deposits to drowning, resulting in un-retrievable valuable metals.
On the other hand it is quite funny watching the mighty goblin elite bowman dodge a cow bone bolt and fall into a magma pit... That'll teach you to have a flashing name!

I want to post a pic of my fort's entrance... here goes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: April 12, 2011, 10:44:23 pm »

That's AWESOME.

In my Corrosion Mod fort, things have been... Interesting.  This time, I managed to get the wall up in time, enclosing some 15% of the map.  Just as I finished my drawbridge, a Desert Human ambush killed 3 of my 6 poorly trained military, though the minutemen commander got up to Proficient in most skills as a result.  My bloody grazers keep dying because apparently, edible grass exists only in rough patches here and there.  The most recent siege gig was also interesting. I habitually keep the drawbridge up (sadly, it's currently the only thing that separates my fort from the outside world...  I should get on that!), and had to let it down for an Enlightened Humans caravan.  Just as they were entering my fort, they came across two Desert Human ambushes, and then a Skulking infected siege appeared!  In the course of the battle, I lost 4 humans, including a legendary rifleman ( :'( ), but managed to repulse them.  Now I need to build up my military and get the metal industry going so I can actually equip them with working things.

THEN I build my megaproject, which will be some sorta testament to the tenacity of Humanity.  I'm thinking...  maybe a fist or a peace sign?  Or perhaps a middle finger, saying "F*** you, infected humans!"?
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:18 pm »

Playing .18 version here.

Nothing much is happening, actually. Ropetool has just turned 20 years old and is the first fairly successful (boring?) training fort I've gone on. I decided to take things slowly and pace myself.

I've got loads and loads of prisoner Gobs and Trolls waiting to be dropped down a 10z-level pit with ten masterwork and exceptional steel spears at the bottom. But that method seems a bit too slow, so I might be looking for more ways to dispose of them and free the cages.

Found the caverns in maybe my twelfth year and have never caught a glimpse of a GCS. (there was a GCS when I breached it, but one of my hunters decided it was better to one-shot the thing in the cephalothorax and have GCS roasts instead). Strangely enough, I'm seeing a LOT of GCS webs around, but none of my door-cage traps ever caught one.

Also breached the magma sea recently, but have no idea where I would pump the magma up to. Stupid noobish fortress design.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: April 12, 2011, 11:56:57 pm »

New worldgen recipe and a new embark, chosen *very* carefully.

It turned out rather... oddly. I chose my site for its unusual topography and dualistic biomes, but I wasn't expecting this. It seems I've got some kind of surface-level cavern, complete with surface-level towercaps.

A complex web of 7/7 water tiles...
A flood...
Mass cave-ins.

I ran into this 'problem' once, during an adventure. I thought it was a bug at the time, because it was so terribly inexplicable.

I think the water is replenishing as quickly as it drains out into the world. We'll have a lake before you know it.

FPS has dropped to a paltry 16 from my usual 250+ on embark.

I lost one miner to drowning in the first month. All dwarves and dogs aside have gathered on a high ground and tested for aquifer depth, 4z into the soil.

I'm pretty certain the water is continuously replenishing at the edge of my map, as it drains off the other side. Can't imagine the effect this will have on adventure mode. Maybe it'll just run into the river and be fine.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10273-vigorfences

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: April 13, 2011, 01:17:52 am »

lol...well, i went into a sinister i think coniferous forest?

my first casualty, a skeletal deer who gored my militia captain in the head...que ctrl+alt+del, im PROBABLY gonna redo it, but iunno...might change raws and make dwarves able to make masks...but first im gonna need to figure out how to modify the raws to allow such a thing...that way my dwarves can have just short of complete coverage...provided that masks dont interfere with helmets lol

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: April 13, 2011, 01:39:01 am »

New worldgen recipe and a new embark, chosen *very* carefully.

It turned out rather... oddly. I chose my site for its unusual topography and dualistic biomes, but I wasn't expecting this. It seems I've got some kind of surface-level cavern, complete with surface-level towercaps.

A complex web of 7/7 water tiles...
A flood...
Mass cave-ins.

I ran into this 'problem' once, during an adventure. I thought it was a bug at the time, because it was so terribly inexplicable.

I think the water is replenishing as quickly as it drains out into the world. We'll have a lake before you know it.

FPS has dropped to a paltry 16 from my usual 250+ on embark.

I lost one miner to drowning in the first month. All dwarves and dogs aside have gathered on a high ground and tested for aquifer depth, 4z into the soil.

I'm pretty certain the water is continuously replenishing at the edge of my map, as it drains off the other side. Can't imagine the effect this will have on adventure mode. Maybe it'll just run into the river and be fine.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10273-vigorfences
epic.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: April 13, 2011, 03:54:15 am »

alright, so, thoughts on my SECOND sinister fort...

fuck. skeletal. badger's.

one of my cats was wandering outside, just after it had adopted one of my guys, and a skeletal badger killed it...which caused a trantrum spiral, in my fort that was barely underground

gonna try and find the old place again, theres only one sinister biome on this map, and i was atleast close to the first fort last time...i didnt abandon so i could actually find it again, and not have my miners be useless cuz almost everything was dug out -.-;;

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: April 13, 2011, 05:00:17 am »

BOOM! Headshot!
As Ugutlorbam adds a notch to his -ashen crossbow-.
My one marksdwarf, (Read:The only one of several who actually picks up a crossbow AND bolts) who I sent up onto my just-constructed battlements, (Read:The wall around the above-ground farms) just shot down a giant Olm, with a headshot, sending its goblin mace-woman rider headfirst into the drink! :D
I like this guy! He gets a proper room.

EDIT: Ohmygod! Oooohmygod! :D
The goblins have been sieging us for ages now here at Koshid, and quite a few forgotten beasts have turned up, killed a few trolls, and then been hacked apart by goblins without chasing 'em off or anything.
But now, just as As finishes off that goblin and moves onto some others, TWO forgotten beasts turn up, right after each other!
The first one, a ***ing giant finch with four horns and patchy teal feathers, isn't faring too well against the hordes, BUT they have a syndrome! This should be interesting... Oh, and the other one, disturbingly, is a giant, purple-haired scarab with wings, which squirms and fidgets, and has a poisonous sting. :o
Maybe they'll even somehow awaken Nagnod, in my basement. I KNOW how deadly Nagnod is... :/
The two newcomers are called Muk and Omu Lodmudob, respectively. This is gonna be !!FUN!! Maybe they'll finally stop the trolls gnawing on the bones of my honoured dead...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:37:13 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: April 13, 2011, 05:46:49 am »

Just started 0.31.25, playing safe so that I can finally see dorfs with grandchildren. A hunter went hunting with his pet goose and somehow the bird fell into the local waterfall. To my surprise the goose was hovering on the edge of the drop.

WWW~~~~WWW
WWW~~~~WWW
WWW~~~~WWW
WWW...g....WWW

W=Wall, ~=water, g = goose, ....= Open tile
I spent a few minutes just looking, moving up and down Z-levels to confirm that the goose was indeed standing on an Open tile. Since nothing else seemed to be happening I decided to build a platform to rescue it. Only when it attempted to get to the safety tunnel did it begin to shift around as though being pushed by water. The pet was rescued safe and sound.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12583 on: April 13, 2011, 05:49:06 am »

fort is under magma.
*failed*
well, at least the siege burnt up ^^

well.... first time in Fortress Defence  :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: April 13, 2011, 05:58:14 am »

A three eyed lobster FB with webs popped up.
Prepare for battle.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 3842