Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112276 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12480 on: April 10, 2011, 09:18:02 am »

Oh my goodness, first siege ever has arrived. I just hope my military dorfs are up to the challenge, since i don't have any traps set up. I can seal the fort totally though, and my dorfs should be fine with living in there, if everything else fails. :P

Edit: Huge bowgob squad + one axegob. Ouch. So i sent my squad after them, and they pretty much tore the gobs a new one. Lost a single axedorf, two got lightly injured, and a fuckton of goblins are now resting in pieces. Good thing i outfitted my dorfs with full iron armor. :P
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:28:26 am by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12481 on: April 10, 2011, 11:15:30 am »

My local civilization is named The Sizzling Merchant and our emblem is a group of brine haunts...good thing the magma sea is fairly close at hand.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

FurryYunSeong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12482 on: April 10, 2011, 12:07:52 pm »

Hmmm, I believe a good place to post for the first time would be here...

My most successful fort is called the Shielded Matches.  It is a county that has survived several sieges and a few forgotten beasts.  The whole surface is a mess, but I guess that's part of the whole "success".  Their dwarven squads are they only true defense they have, with cage traps scattered only close to the courtyard walls.  i was about to ragequit the last siege, but I decided that it would be broken before I moved on to another fort.  There 30 losses, so I'm back to 140 dwarves.  But eventually, that fort will get a king. 

I then started a new one, and it's been awfully peaceful... til I breached the caverns.  Ten losses so far, since my cavern protection setups weren't as swift as the creatures getting in.  But, it's all controllable, so far.

And now I'll generate a new world and take yet another different approach on it.  Therein lies the fun.
"An Ambush!  Curse th- HNNNNNGGG!"

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12483 on: April 10, 2011, 01:40:36 pm »

I made a new fort with civ forge.
My carpenter was killed by a land strider.
Oh god no.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12484 on: April 10, 2011, 01:44:21 pm »

Another siege arrived. I was like "holy shit this is way bigger than before", and shortly after, "oh god my magmablaster is not finished". So obviously, while the merchants that arrived at the same time duke it out with one half of the siege, i send my squad out to deal with the rest, which was approximately a shitload of bowmen and 7 trolls. Only half my squad makes it out before i closed the gate. Guess what? THEY WON. They killed 7 trolls, dodged an absolute fuckhoard of an arrow storm AND slaughtered dozens of goblins, and one of the dorfs did this while being unhappy. Only lost a single dorf all in all. Oh, and a merchant went insane. But holy shit, my dorfs are only between competent and proficient in weapon skill, and they basically repelled a siege with 5 men? They deserve to be called dwarves for that.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12485 on: April 10, 2011, 01:48:56 pm »

my dwarfs are playing bungee jumpee in the empty pit. without the rubber elastic.
they survive a little bit scratched a five z fall.
have no clue why.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12486 on: April 10, 2011, 02:27:12 pm »

My latest fort is called Hamlet. We had a single practicing sword dwarf with bronze chain and a steel sword, with an economy relying on quarry bush meals (worth a crapload), and slowly building the edges of what would one day be a fort. that's right, I decided to build a fot rather than dig one.

The block wall was coming along nicely when we got a few goblin ambushes. They slaughtered the whole lot. Shame really, because I was starting to become attached to the dwarves. I'd retake it, but I'm not going to bother messing with the ghosts, let alone all the rotting corpses and crap lying around. time to find a new plot of land.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12487 on: April 10, 2011, 02:34:27 pm »

Ghost? Hamlet?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12488 on: April 10, 2011, 03:30:21 pm »

Another siege arrived. I was like "holy shit this is way bigger than before", and shortly after, "oh god my magmablaster is not finished". So obviously, while the merchants that arrived at the same time duke it out with one half of the siege, i send my squad out to deal with the rest, which was approximately a shitload of bowmen and 7 trolls. Only half my squad makes it out before i closed the gate. Guess what? THEY WON. They killed 7 trolls, dodged an absolute fuckhoard of an arrow storm AND slaughtered dozens of goblins, and one of the dorfs did this while being unhappy. Only lost a single dorf all in all. Oh, and a merchant went insane. But holy shit, my dorfs are only between competent and proficient in weapon skill, and they basically repelled a siege with 5 men? They deserve to be called dwarves for that.

My. If dwarves are that powerful... then... my 10 dwarf squad is nearly fully decked in steel and most of it is legendary shield users.

Maybe... maybe I could finally manage to repel a siege.

...anyway, guys, tell me... what could I make a small pyramid out of? I was thinking microcline, but my map doesn't have any... no cinnabar either. Man, this sucks... Not even garnierite, and I don't have enough cobaltite for that.

I'll have to perform exploratory mining... maybe I'll find olivine. It's cool.

The pyramid will have only like 5 z-levels of height, with a 10x10 base... really nothing special, as it goes on top of my tower.

Also, I've got a dwarf named Hotwheels.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12489 on: April 10, 2011, 03:34:10 pm »

I just finished the plumbing in my very above ground fortress--Mudposts, where mining is prohibited and dwarfs spend nearly all their time in a series of buildings which are elevated at least four levels above the ground.  Lava and water are supplied to every building and walkway, with hatches allowing the dwarves to drop either onto any invaders below (although thus far most kills don't actually come from the lava, but instead from the wildfires).  I still have nearly 50 FPS despite a population of over 250; after I complete the living quarters and a new food processing facility, the next step will be to train a huge, if not necessarily well-equiped, army.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12490 on: April 10, 2011, 03:36:02 pm »

...anyway, guys, tell me... what could I make a small pyramid out of? I was thinking microcline, but my map doesn't have any... no cinnabar either. Man, this sucks... Not even garnierite, and I don't have enough cobaltite for that.
My vote is for wood or goblinite--let the other races look up ye works and tremble (except for the humans, I guess).

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12491 on: April 10, 2011, 03:44:04 pm »

Iron crossbow artifact get.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12492 on: April 10, 2011, 04:09:24 pm »

where mining is prohibited
How you managed to find magma without mining? Volcano?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12493 on: April 10, 2011, 04:31:29 pm »

where mining is prohibited
How you managed to find magma without mining? Volcano?

I was going to ask how long it took to import all that stone :D

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12494 on: April 10, 2011, 04:33:23 pm »

Marble! layers and layers of it!

For the first time ever, I'm setting up a self-sufficient steel industry! (I usually use iron or bronze)
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 3842