Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 [832] 833 834 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112405 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12465 on: April 09, 2011, 09:33:07 pm »

Everything's well in Plainplains (a savanna, flat and boring place). At last, I've managed to attain seven recruits, which are beginning to be professional soldiers. As they're currently sparring. Yeah.

The site itself is nice. Untamed Wilds Savanna means interesting animals - Giant Leopards were spotted, so were Rhinoceri, and the fort's residents have even tasted giraffes, warthogs, and somehow, milkfish. The soil has four layers, two of which are sand and two are clay.

The fort itself has three layers too. The first layer is in the soil - some farms for all kinds of crops, an underground pasture, where all kinds of animals graze on moss and fungus... and collection zones for clay and sand.

Between the first and second layers there is the sedimentary layer. An exploratory tunnel has found a magnetite cluster and mined it, which had a vein of bituminous coal close, so it got mined as well.

The second layer is two levels of general residential stuff. The first one is a 50x50 square or similar, with four sectors - one a stone stockpile, holding workshops of masons and stonecrafters, as well as the mechanic's. The second sector is light industry - a wood stockpile with carpenters' as well as an ashery and a wood furnace, and a cloth/leather/dye stockpile with all the related workshops. There's also a siege workshop, which would be useful if I had an use for it - I do have a legendary Siege Engineer, so...
The third sector holds refuse, butchers, tanners and the soapmaker, as well as the bone carvers. The refuse stockpile is cluttered with shells of turtles and mussels, as no bone carvers have been found yet. The other facilities work just fine. Elves have brought animals, and I have kennels, but I can't tame them, sadly. Seems I'll just have to restrain them at the entrance, or something... any goblin ambushers I catch will be used as combat training, so, sadly, fun is out of the question.
The fourth sector is just a warehouse where furniture, ropes and blocks rest.
The second level of this place is barracks, hospital, dining room, kitchen (with all the food-related facilities and a stockpile) and loads of 3x3 rooms, as well as some 5x5 ones for nobles.
And best of all, those two levels are all marble - valuable AND flux.

The third layer is deep down, at the magma sea level. Forges and all kinds of furnaces. Many green glass cockscrews have been made already, to be used in a pumpstack or traps... additionally, the furnaces are processing iron into steel, and the forges keep churning out copper bolts from the early times when all I have found was tetrahedrite. Exceptional and masterwork steel swords have already been made for the recruits to use, and they have tapped themselves lightly all over with them.
Sadly, our only armorer is not very experienced, so what the recruits have to wear is at best *steel mail shirts*, but more often -steel mail shirts-. Currently, helms are being made as well, with the rest of equipment soon to follow... hopefully.

I really hope I'll be able to repel a gobblin siege this time.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12466 on: April 09, 2011, 10:32:40 pm »

Circles are a pain in the ass to designate.

That is all.

also i got a huuuge bunch of migrants, so the initial outer wall might actually go up in something resembling a decent amount of time...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12467 on: April 09, 2011, 10:44:59 pm »

Realizing that GCS aren't meant to be deployed to face i squad of trolls, a slew or archers, and goblin macemen at the same time. Also realizing my current fort has no FB safeguards, and the last one had deadly dust and used it on a goose that got trapped when I quickly channeled off the cavern. Need to make fort with retractable bridge, and cavern intrance that does NOT lead right up through the center of the fort. GRATES are going to be in this next fort, yes...And lots of spikes down in the caverns set to repat on command.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12468 on: April 09, 2011, 10:57:40 pm »

I think I went a little overboard with the bedroom carving.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For comparison, that square is going to be a booze stockpile (actually four) surrounding an edible stuff stockpile surrounding a dining area on top of four stills. That designation alone fits 276 dwarves, four nobles/consorts, and the king. I have ten dwarves at present. I'm going to have my miners hand in their picks, give them to two migrants next season, and tell them to go nuts. Two legendary miners will probably come out of that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12469 on: April 10, 2011, 12:34:49 am »

last fort die out due to what best described as following a love one to death. which was being push into magma by white fiends.
now in the new embark right next to the demon hell hole I bring up this question.

how do you feed a tame GCS in .21? from playthoughs taming sentient creatures usually lead to them starving them selves due to I guess lack of Grazing and the path finding to food sources.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12470 on: April 10, 2011, 01:05:27 am »

well, i had my first siege (i save scummed even though i did well, f*cked up my pump stack)

it, went, awesome!

i lost one baby urist, that was it, it was like 12 hammer goblins and one xbow goblin on a rutherer, f*cker used it to run away while taking pot shots at us...

and when i was trying to expand my magma forge area, i accidently broke through into a cave on the floor, a crundle came charging through, and i have my miners all part of my military with no uniform, so i was like "okay...miner group, your RIGHT THERE kill em"

my miner, raised his pick, high over his head!!!!

ran charging at that crundle motherfucker!!!

threw his iron pick aside, and put the thing in a headlock -.-;;

when i checked the description of a crundle, all i could think of, was deathclaw's from fallout...and i just started laughing my ass off, it took 5 pages, but my dwarf killed the crundle, without a scratch, by wrestling him to death

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12471 on: April 10, 2011, 01:08:25 am »

last fort die out due to what best described as following a love one to death. which was being push into magma by white fiends.
now in the new embark right next to the demon hell hole I bring up this question.

how do you feed a tame GCS in .21? from playthoughs taming sentient creatures usually lead to them starving them selves due to I guess lack of Grazing and the path finding to food sources.
You only have to feed herbivores. The GCS should be fine. You'll have to go into the raws and change PET EXOTIC to PET to tame it.
Memento Mori

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12472 on: April 10, 2011, 01:08:41 am »

well, i had my first siege (i save scummed even though i did well, f*cked up my pump stack)

it, went, awesome!

i lost one baby urist, that was it, it was like 12 hammer goblins and one xbow goblin on a rutherer, f*cker used it to run away while taking pot shots at us...

and when i was trying to expand my magma forge area, i accidently broke through into a cave on the floor, a crundle came charging through, and i have my miners all part of my military with no uniform, so i was like "okay...miner group, your RIGHT THERE kill em"

my miner, raised his pick, high over his head!!!!

ran charging at that crundle motherfucker!!!

threw his iron pick aside, and put the thing in a headlock -.-;;

when i checked the description of a crundle, all i could think of, was deathclaw's from fallout...and i just started laughing my ass off, it took 5 pages, but my dwarf killed the crundle, without a scratch, by wrestling him to death
Dorf'd.
 :P

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12473 on: April 10, 2011, 02:23:56 am »

In my current fort I embarked on a dragon's lair, things have gone well so far as I have set up my fort and its defenses (laughable tho they are) and the dragon has been content to just chill out in his lair.

Having only tehtradite and cobaltie (and gold for the deep metal) I stole what usable armor and weapons from the first caravan guards. A several seasons pass (indeed almost a year) and I finally get around to setting up a military, and go in to the z-screen to unforbid all the stuff I dumped.

Needless to say I was very surprised when Uris-mcrecurit cancels equip spear - interrupted by dragon x99 started appearing. Luckily the unfortunate warrior managed to dodge all the breath attacks. After the dragon chased the unfortunate soldier to the far corner of the map he turned around and casually walked back to his lair. Passing right in front of the entrance of my fort without so much as a tail flick.

Lelgo Wealthytaxes the Torrid Furnace of Jades is now back to lounging around on his immense hoard. And the dwarves now know not to go messing about in there.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12474 on: April 10, 2011, 03:12:25 am »

they decided NOT to move the barrels of beer or wine from the still.
so now i have the still, the 3*3 square completely covered in barrels.
and after sometime a lot of "urist cancels job! item stockpile displaced!"
and there they leave it.
and i have 22 idlers.
who have already smoothed and engraved the entire fort.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #12475 on: April 10, 2011, 03:22:49 am »

Starting new fortress in my Monster Hunter Universe mod...

I dig some place for workshops, a farm, stockpiles, and bedrooms.

I start the bucket brigade for the farm...

Urist McDwarf cancels Fill Pond: Interrupted by Bullfango x99
Urist McDwarf has been struck down x7

Your settlement has crumbled to his end.

:)

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12476 on: April 10, 2011, 04:08:31 am »

lol, when i savescummed, the siege showed up again, from a different side...instead of a goblin xbowman riding a rutherer, it was a hammergoblin riding a giant bat, the goblin was disposed of easily, but the bat took out one of my guys, with wrestling >.> the bat, wrestled one of my guys to dead...and bludgeoned a dog for a little while with said dead dwarf's iron helmet

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12477 on: April 10, 2011, 04:10:59 am »

About 45 Goblins riding cave crocodiles showed up just after I'd started to re-organise my fortress.
Well, they can wait outside forever. I've got farms, seeds for booze from the farms, and a lot of stone.

edit: it's up to 77 now.

An Ezrakim caravan came, and just as they entered, behind them a centaur raid appeared and killed them all. Then the second groups of goblins attacked and killed off the centaurs, while a third groups of goblins/demons appeared to join up with the second groups of goblins.

It's a damn good thing I've got a sustainable food/booze source...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:15:38 am by MasterMorality »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12478 on: April 10, 2011, 04:26:33 am »

Got another grizzly from elves.
Time to begin breeding bears.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12479 on: April 10, 2011, 06:14:16 am »

Bring it on.

EDIT: A recruit with his masterwork cotton candy stick from the big top stabbed it in the head and killed it.
In only two pages.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:30:09 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 830 831 [832] 833 834 ... 3842