Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 825 826 [827] 828 829 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112699 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12390 on: April 08, 2011, 04:00:53 pm »

I let goblins in the fort.
Whoops.
My plan didn't go as I expected.
I at least won, and I am putting cave crocodile mounts in an aquarium.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12391 on: April 08, 2011, 04:27:42 pm »

Got bored with my military fort, deleted my version with CivForge, got rid of all my RAW edits. Genned a vanilla world, embarked on a great split-biome site, with mirthful and terrifying forests along with a brook.

And a 6 z-level deep aquifer.

*facepalm*

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12392 on: April 08, 2011, 04:36:41 pm »

my dwarfs are deciding wherever or not they should first dig out the hospital zone or move to channel the lakes into a moat. The result is they get thirsty in between and do naught. And after a drink they start again.
i'm stopping the hospital designation (for the miners) right now. Hell, i know i have a dwarf with an infection in his right foot, but first comes the moat. and nobody will miss a potash maker.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12393 on: April 08, 2011, 04:40:52 pm »

Currently making a new fortress away from my fortress. I.E. A mausoleum. I am currently installing a family of dorfs into the mausoleum as a sort of honor guard. Gonna close the door once Dwarves get comfy in.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12394 on: April 08, 2011, 05:09:39 pm »

Okay, managed to do a large-scale cavein and breach past the aquifer. Now... Is it possible to safely dig in the z-level below an aquifer? Because I don't want to abandon all of that hematite...

3. Run Resize Enable

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12395 on: April 08, 2011, 05:32:31 pm »

Okay, managed to do a large-scale cavein and breach past the aquifer. Now... Is it possible to safely dig in the z-level below an aquifer? Because I don't want to abandon all of that hematite...

Are you using dfreveal to determine where the damp stone is?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12396 on: April 08, 2011, 05:52:31 pm »

Um. Where'd the butcher shop go?

Oh, it melted, didn't it?

... What the hell kind of glacier is this?!
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12397 on: April 08, 2011, 06:01:08 pm »

Um. Where'd the butcher shop go?

Oh, it melted, didn't it?

... What the hell kind of glacier is this?!

Global warming strikes again!

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12398 on: April 08, 2011, 06:14:42 pm »

gr...that giant desert scorpion, was extremely dissapointing, it died without even hurting the goblin lasher.

good news, the elves came back this year with a jaguar, a buzzard, a grizzly bear, and a black bear, bought em all lol, and i've penned the grizzly downstairs to wait for a breeding pair lol

also, in the siege, several of my dwarves died, and i was just looking around, and i see like 5 bunnies sitting around...a corpse >.>
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:20:11 pm by Renzuko »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12399 on: April 08, 2011, 06:51:31 pm »

Hah, apparently while I was busy breaching the aquifer and digging a shaft down to the magma, my wardogs took down a werewolf without any of them dying, although one of them was faint for a while and had badly cut front legs, but it has recovered on its own. Oh, the joys of a split-biome mirthful/terrifying embark. Stockpiles have been established within the walls, temporary dormitories built, and the moat is scheduled to be dug after the final bits of the main stairway have been cleared out. The thing in total is 57 z-levels tall, which is actually a nice distance.

3. Run Resize Enable

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12400 on: April 08, 2011, 07:13:37 pm »

My dwarves just keep having babies. I'm pretty sure my population is capped at 200, since I never bothered touching it, but the numbers keep rising -- I have 233 dwarves, 64 of which are children. And they keep coming. I can't just murder them all, not like I do with migrants. I'd be perfectly fine with drafting them as soon as they reach adulthood, but I can't wait a decade while they all grow up because the more babies are made, the lower my FPS gets. The goblins haven't sieged in ages, they're just sending piss-weak ambushes. I'm building a dozen beehives and smelting gold and silver because I'm bored. What does a guy have to do to?

Danger room. Get your mothers inside with a bit of armor.

Be sure not to kill too much babies at once else you'll end your fort with a tantrum spiral.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12401 on: April 08, 2011, 07:17:22 pm »

Yeah, after I took care of the third level of aquifer and found more damp soil below it, I opened reveal to see how deep it went.

3. Run Resize Enable

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12402 on: April 08, 2011, 08:07:30 pm »

I decided to have a little fun in Crowdedtrade, my current fort, and uncapped my FPS as well as removed all things that would pause the game such as deaths, births, etc.

I then saw my entire  fort FPS shoot up to about 20k, dwarves were moving at mach 3, and I saw everyone die before I could truly react.  I have NO idea what the hell just happened... and no I didn't savescum to undo my damage.  I'm an idiot. >.>
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12403 on: April 08, 2011, 08:20:47 pm »

Yeah, after I took care of the third level of aquifer and found more damp soil below it, I opened reveal to see how deep it went.

You've probably noticed, then, that the damp stretches to one z below the aquiferous soil or stone. Unfortunately, these tiles will spew water from above if dug into, so if your hematite is on that z level, I'm afraid you're out of luck. If, on the other hand, the hematite doesn't appear damp when viewed with dfreveal, then you can safely dig it out.

Of course, there are other options. You could make extracting the hematite into a sort of mega-project, establishing a giant machine on the surface for the sole purpose of boring into the waterlogged earth.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12404 on: April 08, 2011, 08:30:19 pm »

After the migh instant failure of my previous fort, I've embarked on a new site. And this place suits me just fine.

Welcome to Hammerclams! I embarked on a savage area, I brought along some raptors for protection, not much, but I could afford a breeding pair. The place is made of fire clay and obsidian (yay). Dragon raptors are dicking around at the bottom of the mesa, they shouldn't be a problem. I'm quite proud of the bedrooms and dining area I dug out, it sucks horribly, but it's better than most other things I make. I'm going to try to build up a strong military might here. And for some reason I found 32 iron bolts and a bismuth bronze crossbow near the wagon (don't look at me, I didn't bring them). So I got some free iron right at the beginning, no mining required. I have a good feeling about this place.
Pages: 1 ... 825 826 [827] 828 829 ... 3842