Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112717 times)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12375 on: April 08, 2011, 04:41:27 am »

Quick question, how can a FB made of glass climb 30 z-levels up a well that has no water in it? Seriously, I fell off mark with the bore and didn't end up in the cavern sea.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12376 on: April 08, 2011, 04:51:11 am »

Speaking of wells... So I made a well in Koshid, my first well ever.
It's claimed three lives and a hand so far, two dwarves fell down the shaft they were digging, and a beast climbed up once it was running, and tore one dwarf apart and bit another's hand off before being mobbed. :/
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12377 on: April 08, 2011, 08:13:42 am »

Quick question, how can a FB made of glass climb 30 z-levels up a well that has no water in it? Seriously, I fell off mark with the bore and didn't end up in the cavern sea.
They can fly.
Memento Mori

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12378 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:31 am »

One of the triplet died (the dumbass caught an infection after deconstructing the floor behind him).
More importantly, a FB made of fire tried to get in, found a hermetically closed hatch cover, so instead, he went to find a freshly-captured reacher... in a wooden cage, right on top of the cage trap. There's nothing left of the reacher, nor the cage. Its nonexistent screams of pain still haunt my mind. After that short torture, my militia commander disposed of it in only two hits. She's lost about half the fat in her body, but is perfectly fine otherwise. As for the macedwarf accompanying her... he was grilled.
Caught my 2nd minotaur.
Finally, the ghost of a fisherdwarf (who had drowned after dodging a badger) caught almost literal shittons of fish. Can't make pots nor barrels fast enough, though clay is truly a godsend.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12379 on: April 08, 2011, 09:12:37 am »

Had a massive disappointment just now.

Just as the dwarven caravan arrived I got the message that a dragon had arrived! This excited me because there are, after all, a lot of uses for dragonfire...

Before it reached the perimeter cage traps the caravan guards intercepted and killed it. Then, because it had killed some of them, they left. So no caravan for me...

Also before it died it destroyed one of my roads, taking me back under the "becoming the capital" requirements. The liaison is already here and hasn't talked to the mayor yet (locked up until the caravan's gone), but does that mean he won't offer me the barony this year? Is that calculated when he enters the map, or when he talks to the mayor?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12380 on: April 08, 2011, 10:17:08 am »

If it has wings or is based on a creature that has wings, it doesn't need to climb.

Marauder Moe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12381 on: April 08, 2011, 11:15:45 am »

Another fresh, intrepid band of dwarfs arrived at their new home.  They surveyed the site, declared that it was good and named it Bronzedglen.  Work began on tunneling while the rest lingered around the wagon.

Then I got a message that one of the dogs had bled to death.  Fearing an attack by fearsome wildlife, I quickly brought up the unit screen... and found naught but my settlers and their surviving animals.  I wondered if perhaps the dog fell or ate some sort of disagreeable vermin, but could find no evidence of such and went on with my work.  Before long, other animals started to die.  I finally managed to catch one injured but still alive and it's description showed that all of it's fat was missing.  Before long, all the animals except for one sturdy (but now fat-free) horse had succumbed to this mysterious death.

What manner of cursed place is this?  Nevermind, hurry up and get the supplies inside!

As the dwarfs labored, stuffing goods into still-unfinished rooms, they too began to fall ill.  I examined one of them as he valiantly labored to unload the wagon and I saw that he was melting!

Are we cursed?  Is there a plague?  Toxic vermin?  Have we settled in the former site of a nuclear meltdown?!

Fearing for the future of our dead civilization, I hastily assigned a male and female dwarf to a burrow while the rest continued to unload the wagon.  It was slightly too late, though, as the female melted before getting back inside.  We had only one other woman in the party so I quickly re-assigned her to the burrow.

The others toiled quickly in the blistering heat/plague/radiation, but by the time the wagon was unloaded and disassembled, only 3 survived.  I sent one of the remaining dwarf men on one last mission to retrieve the bodies of their friends that they may be honored, and then sealed up the tunnel, separating us from the accursed surface land.

Since then we have carved out a life underground.  We dine upon cakes and pastries and guzzle fine beer, ale, and rum (this civilization had not learned to cultivate plump helmets).  The miner and crafter have become a fine young couple, and we hope they will repopulate our lost civilization.  We know not why our compatriots and pet died, but occasionally spirits of the dead penetrate our walls and inform us that the surface remains unsafe for dwarven life.  We placate them with stone memorials and re-assert our vow never to face the light of day again.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12382 on: April 08, 2011, 11:52:34 am »

^^ AKA: don't embark on scorching areas ^^

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12383 on: April 08, 2011, 12:01:11 pm »

A FB, giant scaly antelope with deadly spittle, came along.
It proceeded to beat up a recruit and marksdwarf while also getting severe beatings.
It eventually got lashed and killed.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12384 on: April 08, 2011, 12:31:03 pm »

I've heard rumors of a land where the rains fall so hot that it will melt those whom it touches. Legend has it that this land is ruled by a viscous bug that will one day be slain by a great Toad.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12385 on: April 08, 2011, 02:45:06 pm »

I just realized that most of the demons attacking my fortress are sauropods or hadrosaurids.

My fortress is under attack by demonic dinosaurs. Your argument is invalid.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12386 on: April 08, 2011, 02:51:13 pm »

I thought that bug had been made too rare an occurance to cause problems... How hot a rain are we talking about here? Literal boiling point? Your dwarves themselves should be cooked like lobsters just walking around outside.

Anyway, I'm starting a little hamlet from the remains of a deceased dwarven civ on a new world, and noticed that one of my options for wood is 'frozen whisp ale logs. how does that work? Take a barrel of whisp ale and leave it sitting on the tundra till it freezes? Whisps aren't even a tree-type plant in the first place, how is their brewing product log-worthy?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12387 on: April 08, 2011, 03:03:18 pm »

Basically, it's not the rain that's so hot, but rather all fat in DF has such a low melting point that dwarves would be all greasy after a typical shower.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12388 on: April 08, 2011, 03:16:34 pm »

My dwarves just keep having babies. I'm pretty sure my population is capped at 200, since I never bothered touching it, but the numbers keep rising -- I have 233 dwarves, 64 of which are children. And they keep coming. I can't just murder them all, not like I do with migrants. I'd be perfectly fine with drafting them as soon as they reach adulthood, but I can't wait a decade while they all grow up because the more babies are made, the lower my FPS gets. The goblins haven't sieged in ages, they're just sending piss-weak ambushes. I'm building a dozen beehives and smelting gold and silver because I'm bored. What does a guy have to do to?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12389 on: April 08, 2011, 03:58:40 pm »

My dwarves just keep having babies. I'm pretty sure my population is capped at 200, since I never bothered touching it, but the numbers keep rising -- I have 233 dwarves, 64 of which are children. And they keep coming. I can't just murder them all, not like I do with migrants. I'd be perfectly fine with drafting them as soon as they reach adulthood, but I can't wait a decade while they all grow up because the more babies are made, the lower my FPS gets. The goblins haven't sieged in ages, they're just sending piss-weak ambushes. I'm building a dozen beehives and smelting gold and silver because I'm bored. What does a guy have to do to?

Apply directly to the forehead meeting hall.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 3842