Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112873 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12360 on: April 07, 2011, 03:17:07 pm »

As usual, I'm inept at using the military. So, when a goblin ambush came, all I could do was shutting myself in...

Then, much later, migrants came. With a lot of pain in my heart, I had to leave them for dead.

But one ranger fought back.

So I drafted the migrants. Two dead goblins, many dead migrants, the rest of goblins ran away.

Phew.

Next time, they will be met with military. I'm getting an artifact piece of iron armour, and... there will be steel. I've got LOADS of chalk and iron in here... I'm almost surprised. And magma is just 40 levels down!
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12361 on: April 07, 2011, 03:36:36 pm »

One recruit killed a rabid badger by biting its limbs off.
While I'm proud of him, I can't shake the feeling they're planning something horrible.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12362 on: April 07, 2011, 05:01:18 pm »

I encountered my first dragon a few days ago. I'm running a !!SCIENCE!! based fort, so I've put very little effort into my military, so I thought 'oh shit!' and buttoned up, confining civilians to the inside burrow and went to my dining hall to pull the levers to seal the entrances. Then my ADHD kicked in and I got distracted for a few minutes. When I eventually happened to look at the top level, there was a bunch of blackened terrain and then I saw this WHOOSH! of flame. Oh yeah, the dragon!

BTW, if you're reading this Toady, The dragonfire effect is awesome. I've never seen anyone mention it before, but it looks really good. It's a bully effect!

I saw that the dragon was barbecuing a stray war dog (torch all you want, we'll make more). When the poor pooch was finished, the dragon headed after something else. I looked and realized it was a dwarf, one of my haulers apparently got caught outside. A quick look around revealed another dwarf out there, too. Nuts. I watched as the dragon toasted the hauler (see above comment about making more) and then turned to the other dwarf. This one was an axedwarf who had been off duty and chopping wood outside, but was now activated. I figured the dragon would toast him as well. I looked away for a few moments to check my drawbridges and came back expecting to see a gory end, but instead the plucky little axedwarf was right next to the dragon and they were circling quickly. I checked the combat report and saw the the first hit had been by the axeman. He'd hit the dragon's head with his -iron battle axe- and fractured its upper spine. It showed as just yellow in the wounds view, not the red that would mean the spinal cord was cut, so the dragon was still fighting, but not very well. The dwarf proceeded to hack and hack and hack, and finally finished the dragon off, single handedly. I don't know what his starting axe skill was, but he ended up at 7. I'm guessing he started at 5 or 6. This guy's getting a room upgrade. And a wheelbarrow to carry around those huge balls of his (hmmm, actually, I'm assuming the dwarf was male, coulda been female).

Not the outcome I expected when I first saw the dragon announcement. One doesn't really expect a lone, low skill axedwarf with an iron axe and mostly copper/bronze goblinite armor to take out a dragon single-handedly. The dwarf earned a name, and so did the axe.

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: April 07, 2011, 05:18:07 pm »

So, after seriously tweaking with advanced world gen, I found another underwater volcano site! Woo! All the makings for steel, glass for all that fun stuff, and the makins for bismuth bronze. (I put mineral scarcity to its lowest, importing stuff is slooooooow.)

I think I've become obsessed with underwater volcanoes. :o I already know I'm obsessed with sand and borderline with fire clay.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: April 07, 2011, 06:08:37 pm »

Forgotten beast vs. Dwarven child

Child won. Granted he was helped by a friendly blind cave ogre and the F.B. was made out of steam.  But still, that kids going to be somebody.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: April 07, 2011, 08:13:42 pm »

so, im doing my thang, i got a thing of migrants with about 3 mid level miners out of 10, so i recruited them, now i have 5 miners, one legendary+5, letting them dig out places i left purposfully undug to let them train and all...and the elven merchants show up.

i immediately go to their cloth, since i have none and i need something to make ropes out of, and afterwards, i start scrolling up to get to their booze, and i scroll too far, see their caged animals, nothing huge, a gopher, a cavy, then i go up one more page to see anything else...and i see....

now, it is tame already, and i started cackling madly, and used all my meager gems i had to buy it, trader refused anything less then 290 profit unfortunately, i'll have to screw them later on to get them to potentially bring more...

now, this is the first elven caravan, so im only in the second year of my fort. now, should i bother editting the saves to get it trainable as a war scorpion, or should i just leave it not war, and like, give it a pasture that is the entirety of the entrance to my fort?

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: April 07, 2011, 08:21:24 pm »

My woodcrafter got possessed.  On her way to gather materials she stopped in a doorway and gave birth.  Barely pausing, she leaves the child on the floor in the doorway, picks up her bar of metal, and continues on.

The poor child crawls over stacks of ore to the stairway, up to the main level, down the main hallway, and out the front doors.  The dozens of dwarves coming in and out of the fortress didn't bat an eye.

The baby crawls down the hill, through the depot and the refuse pile.  I order the front maze walls closed to delay the little bugger a bit, but it's not pulled in time, and the child leaves my fortress's safe zone and starts crawling up the valley hill.  He crawls over the bodies of many a dead goblin outside the walls.

That's when the minotaur shows up.

mud074

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12367 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:41 pm »

For the time being, I have not undergone brutal dismemberment by any of the badgerkind. Suspecting they're planning something bigger and angrier.
... I have another idea!  Perhaps if we build a large wooden badg--
SHUT UP!

:D

Monty Python reference WIN!
In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Googletopia.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12368 on: April 07, 2011, 11:25:44 pm »

lol, my clothcrafter just got a mood, and made something id never seen before...a mask!

apparently its a goblin piece of headgear...it has pictures of dwarven queen surrounded by other dwarves praising her, related to the raising her to the status of queen -.-;;

but when i saw mask, i did a double take, i knew dwarves could make foreign stuff, but i only thought togas bows and blowguns were foreign things lol

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12369 on: April 07, 2011, 11:52:02 pm »

lol, my clothcrafter just got a mood, and made something id never seen before...a mask!

apparently its a goblin piece of headgear...it has pictures of dwarven queen surrounded by other dwarves praising her, related to the raising her to the status of queen -.-;;

but when i saw mask, i did a double take, i knew dwarves could make foreign stuff, but i only thought togas bows and blowguns were foreign things lol

Actually I keep forgetting to mod masks so that dwarves can use them, nice bit of face protection there.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: April 08, 2011, 12:18:37 am »

allow dwarves to MAKE it you mean, if you assign it, they'll wear it, if i really wanted to i could assign the mask to one of my dwarves, but i dont see the point lol

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12371 on: April 08, 2011, 01:33:54 am »

The military was sent underground to fight the demon infestation. They failed miserably. Now the demons are spilling forth into the world. Everything is on fire and many are dead. But we've sealed the entrace with stone. We have over 3000 of food, over 3000 drink, and over 3000 meat for cooking. This is how Kissedgranite shall die. Not with a battle, but with 70 Dwarves, locked within their home, surviving as long as they can to spite the beasts consuming the Earth around them.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: April 08, 2011, 02:57:54 am »

Sooo I'm a barony now.

Yay.

Luckily the guy I recommended has fairly simple tastes. And he's expendable, so if he gets uppity I'm not really losing anything.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12373 on: April 08, 2011, 04:34:36 am »

For the time being, I have not undergone brutal dismemberment by any of the badgerkind. Suspecting they're planning something bigger and angrier.
... I have another idea!  Perhaps if we build a large wooden badg--
SHUT UP!

:D

Monty Python reference WIN!
Thanks to you, I have a new megaproject after I'm done building the current giant statue.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12374 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:41 am »

Not the outcome I expected when I first saw the dragon announcement. One doesn't really expect a lone, low skill axedwarf with an iron axe and mostly copper/bronze goblinite armor to take out a dragon single-handedly. The dwarf earned a name, and so did the axe.
Awesome! :D
But you think dragon fire is scary, you should have been at Slaughterrocks when someone woke up the FB in the well... Woooow.
That was nasty! :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 3842