Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120601 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12015 on: March 31, 2011, 12:20:52 pm »

Spears > Maces

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12016 on: March 31, 2011, 12:26:30 pm »

I just started a new fort and I got badger people running around above ground. They seem to be leaving my dwarves alone for the most part although I did notice a badger woman got enraged at a yak bull earlier. Nothing came of it.

Edit: Oh, there's giant badgers running around too. I really want to capture some and tame them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:30:02 pm by Lemunde »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12017 on: March 31, 2011, 12:55:33 pm »

Giant badgers: Fuck your bears. :P

Also, tested out my new Noah-inator.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SUCCESS. It even killed a dorf and 5 dogs by means of flushing down a hole. Oh, and the blood was there to begin with.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12018 on: March 31, 2011, 01:16:20 pm »

Quote from: Newbunkle link=topic=15096.msg2130555#msg2130555 date=130149482

[i
On the item is an image of goblins in pine. The goblins are laughing. The artwork relates to the defeat of The Mechanisms of Heating and pillaging of Graspedwire by The Oracular Monster in the late summer of 164 during The 66th Pillaging of Graspedwire.[/i]

The 66th Pillaging of Graspedwire?

Yeesh, some dwarves never learn.

"They said I was daft to build a fortress right next to the goblins, but I did it anyway! And they pillaged it.
 So I reclaimed it. And they pillaged it again.
 So I reclaimed it a second time. And they pillaged it again.
 So I reclaimed it a third time. And they pillaged it again.
 So I reclaimed it a sixty-fifth time. And they pillaged it, burned it, and painted nasty messages in dwarf blood on the walls.
 So I recalimed it a sixty-sixth time. And they were too busy laughing to bother with it.
 And it's still standing!"

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12019 on: March 31, 2011, 01:17:03 pm »

I decided to mine a pathway into a cave I had discovered earlier.
Turns out that these batmen were living inside.
My military tore them apart.
They only lost because they didn't have enough time to prepare.

See whotcher did thar, laddie.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12020 on: March 31, 2011, 01:25:35 pm »

My crappy airship is complete!  Behold it's technicolor glory!

Isn't it simply adorable?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12021 on: March 31, 2011, 02:01:38 pm »

So, in my current fortress, I've been making serious use of cavern resources for pretty much the first time.  I've finally imported enough steel to set up a squad of axedwarves (having relied on silver hammers and iron spears up to this point) and I decide to send them off to kill a pack of crundles on a map edge in the caverns to gain some basic competence.  The crundles are virtually no threat to them, but of course the very instant they strike down their first couple, every dwarf in the fort decides that this would be an excellent time to run down and collect all their severed limbs for butchering.  So before long I've got about a dozen dwarves running around the caverns in a panic while my military desperately tries to kill off the rest of the crundles before anybody gets hurt. 

I finish them off, but before the corpses are all carried away, ratmen move in from the same side of the map.  So now ratmen are chasing around a quarter of my population while they keep showing up to haul corpses.  The axedwarves kill them off, but then before the ratmen corpses are hauled, a couple of blind ogres show up in exactly the same place.  So I kill the blind ogres, and then a group plump helmet men immediately show up from the same map edge!  Finally something goes wrong and a hauler gets his skull smashed through his brain in a single punch.  At which point the axe squad, in a berserker rage, assaults the aggressor, systematically hacks off all four of its limbs, and then the commander knocks its head clean off with the flat of her axe.

Mercifully the next monster spawn decided to come in on an inaccessible island on the opposite end of the map and the nightmare finally ended.  I really need to turn off refuse collection the next time I go hunting.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: March 31, 2011, 02:10:39 pm »

Giant Cave Swallow spawned and flew to the rooms near my dining room.
After 4 shots, it fell over, and after 1 mace bash to the leg, it gave in to pain.
Then it took 3 hits to the head to kill it.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12023 on: March 31, 2011, 02:11:40 pm »

This fort's first ambush of a goblin crossbowman and several goblin bowmen was repelled by cage traps. And a retracting bridge. My entrance is sesigned so that there are only two entrances to my courtyard; a valley protected by a wall (with beforementioned cage traps) and a small rampway. Humans came too.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12024 on: March 31, 2011, 02:12:16 pm »

Apparently, although beardies can wear both chain coifs and plate helms, both chain shirts and breastplates, triple-wield battleaxes, etc., they cannot wear both chain leggings and greaves. Because I have been trying to get Urist McStubbornAxedwarf to put on both pairs of pants for nearly an hour.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12025 on: March 31, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »

My crappy airship is complete!  Behold it's technicolor glory!

Isn't it simply adorable?
lolling at this one a lot
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12026 on: March 31, 2011, 02:21:02 pm »

Apparently, although beardies can wear both chain coifs and plate helms, both chain shirts and breastplates, triple-wield battleaxes, etc., they cannot wear both chain leggings and greaves. Because I have been trying to get Urist McStubbornAxedwarf to put on both pairs of pants for nearly an hour.

If you want to know what they can and can't wear, I'm fairly certain the Object Testing Arena can help - just go in there, throw all the items you want to test onto a dwarf, then spawn them. Any items that immediately appear on the ground instead of equipped can't be worn with everything else they have on. ^_^

You're correct, though - dwarves can't wear both chain leggings and greaves.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12027 on: March 31, 2011, 02:53:16 pm »

More cave shenanigans.
A GCS showed up.
I sent my armies against him.
A wrestler died.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12028 on: March 31, 2011, 03:53:34 pm »

If you want to know what they can and can't wear, I'm fairly certain the Object Testing Arena can help - just go in there, throw all the items you want to test onto a dwarf, then spawn them. Any items that immediately appear on the ground instead of equipped can't be worn with everything else they have on. ^_^

You're correct, though - dwarves can't wear both chain leggings and greaves.

The really strange part is that they DID wear both in all of my .21-.23 forts... ???

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12029 on: March 31, 2011, 03:56:06 pm »

Pissed off draltha tore my macedwarf's lower leg off.
He's getting a crutch.
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 3842