Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120886 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11970 on: March 30, 2011, 02:10:17 pm »

So I got ambushed 3 times.
Most of my military died, but what about my macedwarf, who has been living in the fort for a long time?
Still alive. He's only a talented macedwarf, with a bronze mace and iron shield in his one hand that is not broken.
He's killed 12 freaking goblins, and even stopped to take on a goblin snatcher.
He's a good dwarf.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11971 on: March 30, 2011, 02:27:37 pm »

I've decided that the most amusing way to deal with ambushes and forgotten beasts is to have them fight each other!

The spiral staircase that connects to the surface also connects to all 3 cavern layers and has drawbridges at each of them, so when an ambush comes, I just open all the cavern bridges and let them play. So far, the goblins always win, even vs 5 forgotten beasts at once. Though, to be fair, 4 of them were composed of vomit, mud, wet tissue paper and a stiff breeze.

I have learned though, that goblins are apparently immune to necrosis. There they stand, spewing plumes of miasma, all their body parts listed as rotten, and they are shown and act to have no injury... Thank Toady for the FPS improvements.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11972 on: March 30, 2011, 02:34:48 pm »

Clerk in a fey mood made a gold buckler.
It has pictures of dwarves, some elf being killed by a dwarf, and more things.
Also it's worth about 90k urists.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11973 on: March 30, 2011, 02:45:35 pm »

Migrants are being slaughtered by the dozen thanks to endless goblin ambushes.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11974 on: March 30, 2011, 02:51:36 pm »

One of my migrants-turned impromptu military dwarves patiently waited until he was wearing full iron before going berserk. He was killed much easier than expected though. Walling off the edges of the map down in the first cavern level is going smoothly. There is currently a group of troglodytes standing on top of a wall, trying to figure a way down. I guess I'll send some marksdwarves to pick 'em off before I start scaffolding.

I had to dig down to the second cavern layer for water, for my injured dwarves, as it was winter and all the ponds were frozen. So far, nothing to bad has come up from there, besides a Cave Crocodile, which wondered off the map after killing a few dwarves.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11975 on: March 30, 2011, 03:10:19 pm »

Just lost 2 of my starting 7 to a giant panda. He ripped the right leg off a competent sworddwarf then strangled my commander for a page. I dont know how i feel about the former, seeing as how i dont know how well they move with crutches yet.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11976 on: March 30, 2011, 03:12:36 pm »

I had a visit from an ettin recently. After it killed a dorf and dog (both having inflicted a huge amount of minor wounds on it), it decided to waddle into my base. As it was standing next to my pool, i sicced some unarmed dorfs on it, and it promptly dodged into the pool. However, since it wasn't 7 deep, it just chilled there until further notice. Which was quite a while. Then i decided to drop the ceiling on its head. It did not survive, and my miner got injured. He succumbed to an infection much later.

But, long story short: Ettin chilled out in pool, i caved a section of the ceiling in on its head(s). I feel dorfy now. :D
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11977 on: March 30, 2011, 03:40:45 pm »

the fort is going well :)

the entrance trapways are finished and ready (+ the 8z drop)

the hospital is ready to get filled *not yet activated*

and the depot-drowner-trap-airlock is almost finished^^

just gotta finish teh entrance tunnels and testrun the bridge mechanics (1 for the trapclosing and filling  and open/emptying and one for the airlock^^)

oh wow .. a giantess is coming to town ...

why do i never get any cool beasts

she approaches the first trapped square at the entrance and dodges of it in every direction until she finally hits one of the 3 holes and breaks almost every bone . but still alive she went up the ramp into trap floor two ...

i prepare to let my 3 hunters loose on her .. check her wounds  again .. and ...

GNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR .. the game crashes :(

last save was before the digging of the drowning trap .. so i will need to start it over again *sigh*
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:14:16 am by schussel »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11978 on: March 30, 2011, 03:49:54 pm »

Expecting siege. Military are on standby.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RemusShepherd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11979 on: March 30, 2011, 03:54:00 pm »

The militia leader 'Lucky' is dead.

Lucky was a clothier who wandered outside the fort during a siege (I still don't know how) to clean one of the blood-soaked traps on the bridge over the river.  When the goblins saw him, he evaded two squads worth of lashers and speargobs, leading them into the trapped back entrance of the fort.  He didn't have a scratch on him.  That's when I put him into the military.

Then I noticed that he got married to a dwarf lass named 'Bodicesecrets'.  Then my weaponsmith had a mood and made a blue metal battle axe, and guess which dwarf grabbed hold of it first.  That's when I named him 'Lucky'.

The very next siege, when I told the military to wait behind the traps in the entrance, Lucky decided to charge four squads of goblins and trolls by himself.  He was a new recruit with almost no combat skills, but he had a shiny suit of blue metal armor, and that saved his life.  The goblins and trolls broke every limb in multiple places and tore out four of his back teeth (I assume dwarves only *have* four back teeth), but they couldn't kill him.  I eventually realized he might survive, and so I sent the military in to save him and they routed the siege.  Lucky walked back to the hospital and lay down for what I thought might be forever.

After 14 stitches (3 of them blue metal strands), four splints, and less than a season's rest, Lucky stood up and walked out of the hospital, although his wounds were all still red.  That's when I made him militia leader.

Lucky survived for about three years after that.  He would occasionally pass out while walking the halls, but he and his squad routed two more sieges without taking any more injuries.  But on that last siege, Lucky's luck ran out; he succumbed to infection from a wound he recieved years ago.  If he had stayed in the hospital and gotten more stitches and bandages he might have survived.  Or maybe if I had made some soap...but screw that, it's too much work.

Lucky is survived by his wife Bodicesecrets and two unruly children.  His blue metal coffin, I'm sorry to say, is only of good quality and I ain't wasting more ore to get a better one.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11980 on: March 30, 2011, 03:59:05 pm »

Or maybe if I had made some soap...but screw that, it's too much work.

j-m-q-soap-1 is too much work?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11981 on: March 30, 2011, 04:02:46 pm »

The river runs red with blood.

Instead of a dwarven caravan this autumn, the humans sent a new law-giver to sue for peace. Needing somebody to take all this siege junk off my hands, I agreed.

At that point, a vile force of darkness arrived. They spawned 4 goblin melee squads and 2 trolls, in a true envelopment. A planter and a tigerman were killed before they could make it inside. I wanted to finish them off quickly in the hopes that I could still get the dwarven caravan to arrive. I left the gates open and waited.

The law-giver went outside, saw the advancing hordes, and fled back within the courtyard. My marksdwarves rained bolts from above as the first squad of trolls closed in. My spear squad charged them once they crossed the gamut of cage and weapon traps, and quickly dispatched them. At this point the axegoblin squad arrived on the scene, and I committed the other two squads to the fighting. A single hammerdwarf racked up 5 kills, earning himself the title Granitenotched the Dutiful Dots before being tackled into the moat by a goblin. He killed that goblin as well before drowning. Another recruit would join him on the bottom of the moat before that was over.

At this point the squad of hammergoblins arrived. Though tired and wounded, my military charged them. No dwarves died, although more than a few suffered broken bones. The hammergoblins quickly broke and fled, cut down by my military. I was still hoping to get the dwarven caravan to arrive, so I dispatched my military to the river bridge, at the north end of which a squad of pikes and trolls was stuck. While I was waiting for the rest of the military to arrive, one of those dumb, dumb recruit axedwarves decided he wanted the axe the planter had been carrying, and took off to the north side of the bridge. He killed a goblin before a troll ripped his arm off. The rest of the enemies could now see my military, and a bloody scrum erupted in the middle of the river.

Between dodging off the bridge and being knocked off by enraged trolls, six dwarves drowned in the river. Of particular note was my militia commander, axe in hand, dragging a troll down with her. She hacked off bits and pieces of the troll even as she drowned, and the troll returned the favor. Most of the river was cyan, red, or a muddy mix of the two before they drowned. One of the trolls made it to shallow water after tackling a recruit in, and made it to shore in time for the goblins to order a retreat. The siege is lifted.

A baby-shield survives in my meeting hall, despite two thoroughly broken arms. A few of my military dwarves have names, including two marksdwarves and a swordsdwarf who has seven notable kills. "Doren Gearmute the Knives of Skinning." Five of the slain took out enough enemies with them to earn themselves titles posthumously. The population of the fortress just dropped from 81 to 69, and may dip lower depending how the hospitalized dwarves do. A few speardwarves have already recovered enough to resume their duties with the aid of a crutch. More than half of my military is dead or injured- I'm in the process of handing out battlefield promotions to cover the lack, and my second squad will be disbanded altogether as it only had a single survivor (the aforementioned swordsdwarf).

And now it is another winter without the dwarven caravan. Fun times.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11982 on: March 30, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »

Or maybe if I had made some soap...but screw that, it's too much work.

j-m-q-soap-1 is too much work?

I don't use the manager, instead going right to a workshop and posting the order there...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11983 on: March 30, 2011, 04:32:26 pm »

TWO ambushes came at the same time, while the human caravan was around, their trade leader got killed...can i expect a siege from them >.<

also, i laughed my ass off, one of my military men who, i havnt even been able to outfit with weaponry yet, ran out to fight, and dodged into one of the lakes nearby, and promptly started doggy paddling -.-;; i immediately set my civs to inactive and had my miner run out there and dig a couple of ramps down for him, but now i have a lvl 1 swimmer with everyone else in my group lol...

should i make a swimming danger room, since i do have A LOT of lakes on my map

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11984 on: March 30, 2011, 04:43:52 pm »

I am currently testing a training method. So far, I have 10 military dwarves, each in squads of 2, set to constantly train. They have no down time, no off-duty jobs, just a requirement to teach each other and poke each other with sharp sticks.

It is currently early autumn of year 2. I have 5 spear masters, of which no more than one started off as a Proficent Speardwarf (She's now Legendary +1). These dwarves also have incredible Fighter skill levels - the lowest of the starting seven is Great, and five out of the seven are Legendary or above (The Legendary +1 speardwarf is also a Legendary +5 fighter).

These seven dwarves started as Competent (level 3) teachers, Proficient (level 5) in one combat skill, and Adequate (level 2) in another. I varied who had which skill at what level, and so far have only conducted one squad rotation to make sure that there was one highly skilled and one less skilled dwarf in each squad. Training has progressed at such incredible rates that I believe the three migrants that were added to the system can expect to be nearly on par with their teachers by Autumn Year 3.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 3842