Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113470 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11910 on: March 29, 2011, 03:51:23 am »

Cobalds or the rest of them? Does breeding faster allow them to survive somehow?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11911 on: March 29, 2011, 03:52:21 am »

The rest of them. More breeding means more population, meaning they would kill themselves off slower in various wars with everyone. That should help them survive more, if they're all dying in wars like I think they are.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11912 on: March 29, 2011, 04:09:17 am »

Unfortunately I think they were starving to death because I didn't make them farmers when the cobalds are. Only real difference. War shouldn't be a major issue in young, large-worlds like I like to generate, because civs start out so far apart and I don't often give them enough time to develop. And assuming combat in world gen has any relevance to their actual physical attributes, the semi-megabeast-men should kick ass being a good portion the size of the actual semi-megabeasts and having a great arsenal, and vikings (tundra human civ) should be every bit as tough as default humans, being human... I wouldn't be able to tell them apart though until now; I just generated a language for them. Go DFLang!

It needs some flavor-work for the viking/tundra-human civ too, mostly personalized weapons and armor like the others. I also want to add centaurs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11913 on: March 29, 2011, 04:10:30 am »

And I want to play this mod when it's finished.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: March 29, 2011, 04:44:48 am »

I've captured the Elven Princess. 

I'm sure it doesn't change anything, but given the epic waves of elven revenge (elves on alligators; war lions; elves on war elephants; unicorns; war tigers; war rhinos; trolls; elite bowelves and finally, war mandrills) it was fun.  She is missing an ear, though.

The entire map was red with blood and corpses.  I used mapclean just to stop my eyes burning.

War with elves - BEST FUN EVER.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11915 on: March 29, 2011, 05:00:18 am »

War with ten RAW copies of the elven entity = even better.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11916 on: March 29, 2011, 05:13:19 am »

My axedorf named his bronz axe: Bal Laz    :p
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11917 on: March 29, 2011, 06:42:24 am »

I created a small outpost for marksdwarves using walls and floors.
So, the captain of my marksdwarf squad was shooting targets while being given water. How the hell is that even possible?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Asdity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11918 on: March 29, 2011, 07:14:32 am »

So, the captain of my marksdwarf squad was shooting targets while being given water. How the hell is that even possible?

I'm quite sure Dwarven Engineering has made several breakthroughs in the Beer Helmet field.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11919 on: March 29, 2011, 09:07:11 am »

Does he want stone, or stone blocks?  I mixed that up once.  I only realized my mistake when I made some stone blocks for something else and the mood dwarf took one.

Nevermind, it turned out I was right - llama wool cloth worked, then he grabbed some fungiwood to complete the mix.

Sphalerite, gold nuggets, bismuth bronze bars, silver bars, llama cloth, and fungiwood. Shame it's a possession, the materials sound awesome. He's a metalsmith, so it won't be a weapon, but can be some furniture or a chain, both of which can be useful.

Another question - untrained military with obsidian swords and bone armour against a giant olm. Who will win? I bet it'll be the military in the end, but what will be the losses?

EDIT: Hell, that was fast. Dawnchoke, bismuth bronze armour stand. Worth 67.2k dorfbucks, and that llama wool cloth was used for a recursive image.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:11:39 am by Minnakht »
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11920 on: March 29, 2011, 09:16:12 am »

Started a new fort, after not playing for months and months. Highlights include:

-My first trading session with the elves went swimmingly...up until I accidentally offered them a wooden crutch or bin or something (I was throwing them everything in my crafts bins, and I thought I made sure not to select the bin itself), right as I was trading a pantload of junk (would have been the final trade for the season). Thankfully, I still had all their cloth selected, so I just seized it and ran. It's not like I plan to be nice to them for long, anyway.

-My hunter seems to have trouble focusing on a kill, so there's a couple of geese flying around with broken wings. Somehow.

-Finally trying to create a settlement deeper into the ground, starting with breaching the caverns and trying to make a permanent well source. Everyone keeps running off to collect webs or something like that, which led to...

-Blind Cave Ogres wandered close by and chased down several civilians. The military eventually killed them (thankfully, a weaponsmith got a strange mood at the start of the year), but not before two civilians and one soldier were killed by a single ogre. To be fair, the civilians had it coming, some running right at the ogres and others not going back into the fort when they saw their friends being beaten into a pulp. how i does use burrows?

-Somehow, two dwarves with injuries that probably should have killed them survived: one was a wrestler who had a major artery in his upper body severed and was already pale by the time the ogre he was fighting was killed by his buddies. Somehow, the bleeding stopped, and he walked himself all the way to the hospital (something like 15 floors up, with a couple narrow passageways), where he was cleaned up. He didn't even get a chance to have his wounds dressed or anything before it closed up, and now he just walks around, a little faint right now and with a massive scar, but otherwise perfectly fine. Badass.

-The other was a civilian who just saw two others get murdered and didn't think that maybe he should try to ensure his own survival; a hammerdwarf would later die of suffocation (I think from a broken upper spine) trying to save him. The military and ogre pretty much fought right on top of this guy, who had shattered bones everywhere, and yet he didn't bleed out, either. My hospital staff's project for the winter is piecing him back together.

-All this, and I'm probably due for an attack by goblins soon (I picked a civilization that was already at war with them). Should end badly. At least now I know the importance of armor.

-Apparently, I didn't check my civilization a little more, and there doesn't seem to be any leaders anymore (the last one died in 209, killed and mutilated by a goblin. I started in 251). In fact, the whole history of the civilization involves at least two goblin civilizations coming in, pillaging the towns, and killing the royals, generals, etc. in horrific ways, to the point where I'm surprised this isn't a dead civilization in spite of the game giving up and not giving it any more kings and queens (I'm getting caravans, thankfully). The only success it ever seemed to have was an awesome general who fought back and invaded the goblins, just to die of old age in 200.

-So, what I'm trying to say is, this fort is boned.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11921 on: March 29, 2011, 10:12:28 am »

I just started a new game !

My little dwarves are migrants from the Blameless Iron. They have no important leaders anymore, and they are likely to be the last of their civilisation (will the other 5 or 6 dwarven civ still trade with me ? I dunno).

They decided to settle on a tiny island in the middle of three rivers (and boy are major rivers HUGE, the Broken Bolts takes half of my 2x2map ) roaming with alligator, carps, and other monstruosities.

And they are diggin'. All seven of them ! Go little Dwarves ! You are the Blameless Iron's last chance !

It's so great to play again !

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11922 on: March 29, 2011, 10:16:52 am »

War with elves is fun! The elven siege and the goblin siege are duking it out to kill me , and guess what the elves brought for the party? War jaguars , war rhinos , war GIZZLY BEARS. My money is on the elves this time. Oh, of course , my fort is in lockdown mode now.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11923 on: March 29, 2011, 10:43:24 am »

A nightmare saw my mechanic and is in the process of chasing her right into my fort. I am so fucked it isn't even funny.

EDIT: And it murdered everyone. Note to self: Build defenses first.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:15:14 am by Urist Imiknorris »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11924 on: March 29, 2011, 11:33:03 am »

Nightmares ? You mean the black horses ? Have you modded something ?

Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 3842