Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113174 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11865 on: March 28, 2011, 05:12:41 pm »

Nothing interesting seems to happen in rumor with invasions turned off. The local wildlife is too tame. There were maybe 4 instances where the small woody wyverns interrupted tasks with their presence, attacking nobody and fleeing the area themselves. I've only been sending my militia to slaughter the elves every spring so the cobalds can trade (that merchants-hate-each-other bug needs to be fixed, it's pretty annoying. I want to be able to trade with the cobalds and at least have the option to ignore the elves. Amazingly one of their animals was the only creature to kill a dwarf here.

It's winter now and the bridge's roadway almost touches ground on the other side. I'm having dwarves stockpile blocks over there for the construction. I should probably have it touching by spring. Just hovering there above the ground...

Also, the second cavern was disappointingly short vertically. This however means there are actually many layers of solid stone underneath us that I can mine out close to the shaft for block production.

Most interesting thing I suppose is my legendary carpenter and Great mason, who together supply the fort with wonderful furniture that I will someday use to make proper bedrooms for the rest of the dwarves. For now, everyone that has an artifact has it in their own royal bedroom.
Even the legends of this area are horribly boring! Because nobody lives within a hundred miles of this site, NOBODY has ever been here or done anything nearby. Hell, there aren't even images of titans on the walls, just forgotten beasts that have yet to come. For this reason we are, somewhat excitingly, true dwarven pioneers on top of the builders of the mighty ocean-spanning Rumor. I suppose I could have let the world advance more before ending world gen...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11866 on: March 28, 2011, 05:25:40 pm »

My entire squad of axedwarves is sleeping in my danger room. My marksdwarves just pushed off the seasonal badgerman infestation, but I called them back after they ran out of ammo, so there are a few spineless (get it  ;D) badgermen crawling around. Thanks to the last wave of soapmakers, cheesemakers and milkers (for a fort with no animals...), I now have subordinates for my second militia captain. The moat around the castle growing out of the side of the volcano is nearly finished and may or may not be filled with delicious chunky magma. The fortifications are also nearing completion; once they're done, the first floor is going to be layed down. As the entire map is a volcano on a completely flat plain, I am beginning to consider the merits of a border moat or layered marksdwarf pillboxes. (On that note, my marksdwarf captain is now legendary, and can empty a 25-bolt quiver in 15 or so seconds at a target 40 tiles away...  :o)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11867 on: March 28, 2011, 05:27:35 pm »

I just went into a strange mood and decided to try a Dwarven Ninja challenge!

- No armor except leather/wood
- No weapons except short swords, spears and wrestling
- No private assets for any dwarf
- Huge danger room/military (I'll need it...)
- Staying on one z-level as much as possible

- Train dwarves in ambushing as much as possible although I have no idea how to go about that

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11868 on: March 28, 2011, 05:34:22 pm »

- Train dwarves in ambushing as much as possible although I have no idea how to go about that

Isn't Ambushing the skill used while hunting? Thus, to train up ambushing, you'd just need to assign your dwarfs to hunt every so often.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11869 on: March 28, 2011, 05:50:31 pm »

I just went into a strange mood and decided to try a Dwarven Ninja challenge!

- No armor except leather/wood
- No weapons except short swords, spears and wrestling
- No private assets for any dwarf
- Huge danger room/military (I'll need it...)
- Staying on one z-level as much as possible

either by making a workshop that trains them in Ambush or chaining a goblin to a open room and spend hours in Adventure mode (DFMODE and save swap over) of the one you want to train and just use a walk macro and walk around the creature until master stealth. maybe make the goblin/animal hold up in a fortified 3x3 wall so it can't escape nor none of the other ninjas will kill it while you train. 

wait Keldane beat me to an answer. Well in Adv fort I just gone through cleaning trade with adamantine battle axes now I wonder what mega project should I do. a convert "your quest kills into blocks for your fort(MEAT BLOCKS)" or make a "stealth escape RL using a timed mechanism on a cage holding the adventurer.(DFMODE and Dfusion are going to be so abused)" both seem good but I need to see if both of these are even doable.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11870 on: March 28, 2011, 05:58:04 pm »

Why is watching a tantrum spiral where the military are the only sane people so entertaining?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11871 on: March 28, 2011, 06:17:16 pm »

Creaturebolt's good. A hydra showed up during a gobbo siege, tore the goblins to shreds and died from its wounds (well, died from a dabbling wrestler choking its one remaining head.)

Then, after that was successfully repelled, i got another siege. These gobbos arrived just in time for the elves to come for trading; all but one gobbo ran into a cage trap. The last gobbo attacked the elves and their horses- because i was biding my time the goblin managed to train up to Hammer Lord and then came and ripped my military to shreds. Damn hippies didn't fight back.
Thankfully i had one last trick up my sleeve. The 'Civilian Alert' burrow was surrounded on all sides by cage traps, so I lured the gobbo there and he got caught. Now I have a good thirty captured goblins. Unsure of what to do, personally.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11872 on: March 28, 2011, 06:20:25 pm »

Why is watching a tantrum spiral where the military are the only sane people so entertaining?

For even more entertainment, make an axedwarf sheriff.

After doing some reclamation work on the surface along with a bit of nudging to get surface industries up and running, I check on my uninvited guest to find him knocking down the doors at the base of the fortress. I scramble the military as it destroyed a workshop and continued on up into the fortress. It came onto the same level as my jail cells and made a beeline for the one room that was occupied- a craftsdwarf chained up and serving a term for mandate violation.

For once, the first responders from the military arrived in time to save a life. A swordsdwarf with no skills or kills to speak of kept the beast occupied for a fair amount of time, getting kicked a time or two but blocking the poisonous bites. He was helped later by a hamerdwarf and his pet dog, and shortly after that the entire military dogpiled it. A siege, 2 squad ambush, and an FB with only a single casualty? Best summer ever!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11873 on: March 28, 2011, 06:46:22 pm »

Legendary mason incoming

I should help dictate the goods he uses. I want value in case it isn't a third stone bed!
Well, I guess cobaltite, though base-value, is worth it aesthetically. He went for another raw stone so i had him grab marble to complement beauty with beauty and value.

Humorously, he's also the father of two unrelated children... and didn't come with a spouse. I can only imagine he to be an adulterous ass and having had two families, was discovered, and essentially kicked out with his two children to walk hundreds of miles to a little ocean side fort where he could hide from the law...

Work manager Kosoth the Famous Whore (no real title... I say that because she is very popular and most of our statues are of her, including the three I placed in her tomb) wants me to make her some war hammers. I DO need to set up forges after four years of a cold fortress...

Ah, yes... Nil has collected;
raw cobaltite as base stone
raw marble
raw galena ore (15* multiplier woot!)
superior quality pig tail fiber cloth, 75*
draltha leather worth 15*
faint yellow diamond gems at 200*
and a stack of 20 stray draltha bones.

excellent...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:20:42 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11874 on: March 28, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »

Slaughtersboulders was visited by a goblin siege this autumn; a single squad of axegobbos. After ambling along the river, the goblin commander tried to speed up the invasion and ordered his giant olm mount to go faster. The giant olm promptly jumped in the river. After watching the goblins stand around doing nothing for a while, I dispatched my military for their first open field engagement.

They performed admirably. I lost one raw recruit and in exchange took the lives of 8 seasoned goblin warriors. Unfortunately, they were too late to drive off the siege and I missed the fall dwarven caravan. On a brighter note, my dwarves are finally mastering the caverns and drilling for magma to provide a much needed boost to my metal industry and relieve much of the pressure my reliance on fossil wood based fuels has caused.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11875 on: March 28, 2011, 07:47:07 pm »

Urist McLegendaryartifactleatherworker has bled to death.

WHAT!?
NO! Voracious cave crawler!
He hasn't fulfilled his duty to us with thousands of masterwork leather goods with masterwork leather images yet! This is worth save-scumming for but it's too late, I saved when Nil went fey! Ayayaye why didn't I relieve him of his duties as a mechanic!? :'( Now I've lost my valuable leatherworker and I have a voracious cave crawler I can't tame and must kill. He was resetting the traps after a herd of dralthas was captured... I didn't even notice...
Don't worry Ingish, those really cool sheep leather trousers you made will be buried with you... in whatever coffin I can scrounge out because I wasn't ready for anyone to die... I can at least make the a royal tomb AFTER you're dead, I just can't assign it and everything in it to you...

Nil made a pretty cool weapon rack. 66000*. It'll go in his room.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:38:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #11876 on: March 28, 2011, 08:53:48 pm »

After all the blood and chaos caused by a buggy food stockpile has ended, the dead buried and order restored, it is very nice to be able to look in on my underground pasture, see trees and plants growing. See animals grazing peacefully. Bees floating about. Farms producing without effort. Nestboxes full of fowl. Fisherdorfs casting lines in the pond. And the cherry on top, fireflies keeping the whole place peacefully lit.
Why is this covered in blood?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11877 on: March 28, 2011, 09:25:21 pm »

New embark, Fortress Defense, terrifying badlands. I have sand, clay and kaolinite, and dfprospector showed some magnetite somewhere. I'm going full-military on this. Every dwarf who isn't a miner, hunter (I have no reason to have hunters due to undead wildlife) and woodcutters (badlands, so I only need them for cavern trees) will be in a military squad and armored in at least iron, steel if I can get down to the marble early.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11878 on: March 28, 2011, 09:40:27 pm »

A bronze colossus... rumbled straight into a cage trap. I think my next embark will have a no cage trap challenge attached- it makes megabeasts way too easy.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11879 on: March 28, 2011, 09:41:44 pm »

Arena? Colossus vs. your soldiers, today only, get your tickets while they last?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 3842