Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6113033 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11820 on: March 28, 2011, 04:08:18 am »

Whilst 140 was a dramatic year in the rocky life of City-fort Koshid, 'Slaughterrocks', with goblin attacks and forgotten beasts a common occurrence, and 141 was fairly uneventful as the fort continued to prosper and grow, 142 was a black year, full of disaster, pain and woe, with damage done that could take decades to repair.
Some said it all began when a few miners were tasked with widening a passage through the first cavern... As they hacked away at the stone, they found a hitherto-undiscovered cavern, which had somehow been missed by the exploratory shafts. They dug their way down into it, eager to survey it further.
Then disaster struck.

The first forgotten beast was not so fearsome on its own, rather, the only danger was the foul, poisonous blood that sprayed out of its brains as 'Adod', the captain of the guard and a legendary macedwarf, caved in it's skull.
But then, another beast came screaming out of the depths, fire spewing from its shadowy form just as the warrior dwarves were collapsing from the first beast's paralysing blood...
The administrative dwarves were later too stricken to provide an accurate tally of the deaths, but it's estimated somewhere between twenty to thirty dwarves never left that cavern alive, either torn apart by the monster's claws or charred beyond recognition by its fiery breath, before the one remaining skilled warrior in the fort, 'Tudro' Paddletorches, arrived and put a blade through its head.

That was bad enough. The few old dwarves remaining in the fort could not remember a worse time in its history, it was even worse than the bad old days when the fort was founded, when dwarves killed each other in the halls and corpses lay rotting across the dining tables. They shook their beards sadly and went back to work, cleaning away the crispy-fried remnants of their friends, family and countrymen.

But the year 142 was not yet over.

Weapons were being forged in the wake of the catastrophe, to ensure such a thing could not happen again. The halls of Slaughterrocks rang with the sweet music of hammers on anvil, and the dwarves began to recover from their loss.
Until the forge caught fire.
Later on, none of the dwarves could rightly think quite how it happened, although they said if they did they'd tear the miscreant apart, but regardless of how it started, the fierce blaze spread outwards in a ring from the basement beneath the original wooden building of the fort, consuming countless treasures, several dwarves, and leaving the ground around the fortress a charred and barren wasteland. ( Even worse than when my last fort was destroyed! D: )
The flames took with them the last of the fortresses able defenders, leaving the military in tatters, and several dwarves are releasing their wretched emotions by throwing things, punching their neighbours, and generally throwing a massive tantrum.

Yes. 142 has been a black year for City-fort Koshid.

But the year is -still- not over! It's only mid-summer!!!  :'(
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:09:54 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11821 on: March 28, 2011, 05:13:07 am »

I'm thinking that I should have given kobolds [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK], because I now have the perfect anti-theft mechanism: an artifact toy hammer made out of Slade, of all things (yay modding). A bit of a joke, too, seeing as how the attempt to mod in slade warhammers failed but I can still make toy hammers out of it.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11822 on: March 28, 2011, 05:25:05 am »

Ruletrumpet is now a county, and there's a caravan stuck in the airlock. It refuses to leave. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:32:51 am by Serio »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11823 on: March 28, 2011, 05:38:14 am »

Bwahahaha, my militia commander just literally knocked the clothes off of an elf when she kicked off its lower body! On the downside of things, I now have even more crap to clean out of the trade depot.

Still getting seasonal infestations of badgerpeople, attempted to address issue with the application of copious amounts of bolts. I don't think I'll bother cleaning up bodies on this fort, I'll just set up a magma cleansing device at the lip of the volcano.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Asdity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11824 on: March 28, 2011, 05:57:19 am »

Oh boy I love my new fort.

It's a on a 6 z-level high hill surrounded high cliffs overseeing a lake in three directions and life is relatively peaceful as there's no other neighbors than dwarves. However the caverns below are home of few beasties. The first one to surface was a giant tarantula, with poisonous bite. After being annihilated by the 15 dwarf army, the aftermath was beautiful; only one injury, a leg that was rotting.

Out of pity, I made the one-legged-one a sheriff. Now he goes around beating people with his crutch because I don't have iron industry of any kind and the mayor demands war hammers.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11825 on: March 28, 2011, 06:38:54 am »

Found the fourth
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
spire in the map.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11826 on: March 28, 2011, 08:34:17 am »

Oh...
oh dear GOD

THE GIANT BADGER RIPPED OFF MY CHIEF MEDICAL DWARF'S ARM AND KILLED HIM WITH IT

D:

ABORT MISSION ABORT MISSION

Edit: and now my woodcutter's dead too D:

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11827 on: March 28, 2011, 08:55:35 am »

^ It's times like that that just have me imagining dwarves running around in a panic, arms in the air waving back and forth yelling "ONOES!" and "We're all gunna die!"

A lot like that one avatar.  Except with more beards.  And more bloodspatter... and limbs missing.

P.S. And the overseer in the background with an fighter jet's ejector seat.  I think that epitomizes disaster embarks perfectly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:59:18 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #11828 on: March 28, 2011, 09:12:33 am »

Minotaur came just after I made entrance bridge over moat, but before I linked it to lever. Head of Masons Guild had all his tasks canceled and proceeded to deconstruct the bridge. Bridge was in 'o' stage - first it's o's, thei it's O's and then it's fully constructed bridge - when minotaur came near enought to scary mason away. It was very exciting.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11829 on: March 28, 2011, 09:30:49 am »

^ It's times like that that just have me imagining dwarves running around in a panic, arms in the air waving back and forth yelling "ONOES!" and "We're all gunna die!"

A lot like that one avatar.  Except with more beards.  And more bloodspatter... and limbs missing.

P.S. And the overseer in the background with an fighter jet's ejector seat.  I think that epitomizes disaster embarks perfectly.

Thank you for that dose of lolz.

Rhymebolts, 102 (not the Death Badger embark):
I wanna volcanoooo! But noooo, not happening. I hit magnetite, and I swear that flux is doubling as a layer stone, and HOLY CRAP I HIT BITUMINOUS COAL OMG WHOOOOOOOOO
yeah, this fort's going to be digging for the Sea real soon now...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11830 on: March 28, 2011, 09:43:25 am »

Yes, flux stones are all layer stones (with the exception of calcite, which is only found in flux layers).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11831 on: March 28, 2011, 09:44:12 am »

Found the shallow metals indicated on embark. Aluminum.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11832 on: March 28, 2011, 09:53:04 am »

It seems whenever a random bolt comes flying through the court yard it always pegs someone in the head and kills them a few turns later, how annoying.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11833 on: March 28, 2011, 10:03:05 am »

Okay, so first gobbo siege since a few seasons.

I got surprised, because it came in 9 days after the dwarven caravan, where I WAS patrolling the 1x1 map with my full military.

And here is my main woodworker, chilling out with her baby outside. "Sakzul Hammerchanted the Infamous Cat".

And the gobbo archers met with her.

With no armor.

She first flees, as a civilian. Then I draft the military and order them to attack.

She charges the THREE GOBLIN SQUADS including one bowgoblin squad by herself.

She dodged or parried most blows. Apart from two, who hit her left hand and left lung. No big deal, still fighting.

She killed six goblins, all by herself. With no armor, a simple steel battle axe and just normal clothing.

The baby... didn't made it.

The mother didn't cared. She just stood there, raising her axe after a victory hurried by the rest of the squad and some random crossbow-wielding civilian fisherdwarf/hunter. She didn't cared about anything anymore. She just wanted to protect the fortress, chop wood and make wood products.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11834 on: March 28, 2011, 10:23:12 am »

Exhibit A: Dorf mothers are hardcore badasses. :P

Also, just got an unexpected visit from a giant olm, and quite early too. I just left a single tile open to the first cavern for a few days, and hey presto! Giant olm in my fort. I drafted my miners, woodcutters and hunters. I only lost two miners. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 3842