Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112722 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11760 on: March 26, 2011, 03:11:57 pm »

So much lead, so very few projects. I might look into megaconstructions.

One of my "tech heads" has given birth to a boy. A "green thumb" has been promoted to mayor and is demanding shields. The first cavern has been breached, and it should be a matter of time before the Dwarven Enemy/Animal Disposal Shaft (DEADS) reaches the place.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11761 on: March 26, 2011, 03:34:05 pm »

I sent one soldier against it, he killed the beast but died of blood loss a few seconds after thanks to all his fat melting off from the FB's immense heat (he's composed of flame afterall).

Right before he died, he named his sword for the honor of slaying the beast.

Shadmalmeng, The Confusing Lashes, an iron short sword

He shall live on via this awesome sword.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11762 on: March 26, 2011, 03:58:38 pm »

lol, i WISH swords got awesome from names, but id assume they're still just iron short swords...with names

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11763 on: March 26, 2011, 04:02:28 pm »

lol, i WISH swords got awesome from names, but id assume they're still just iron short swords...with names

Yeah it's still an iron sword

But it's now a very known iron sword. Kinda like Excalibur, just a sword but damn known.
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11764 on: March 26, 2011, 04:05:03 pm »

I've continued whittling down my population via ill advised attacks on the human merchant guards. Fortunately, I also got some much needed archery practice in.

The cage traps I've situated at strategic bridges seem to be bringing me many rhinoceri- I'm setting up a catch and release program for them (which happens to coincide with the "train raw recruits" program...)

And in terms of acreage, this is easily the bloodiest fortress I've ever had- normally I deal with threats via elaborate drowning traps or cage traps. It's nice to do things the old fashioned way now and again.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11765 on: March 26, 2011, 04:12:49 pm »

In the process of connecting DEADS to Cave One, a shaft to Cave Two was discovered. I'm actually quite excited! I usually don't go past Cave One, and DF Reveal showed me when I started Craftgates that there's a magma pipe in C2, so things could get rather Fun very soon!

BRB boning up on what is/isn't magma-safe.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11766 on: March 26, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »

Got a named weapon, the masterwork adamantine battleaxe of my military commander.

Awesome name.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11767 on: March 26, 2011, 05:56:25 pm »

The mountainhome has rewarded my mindless aggression towards the humans by naming Slaughtersboulders a Barony! In celebration, I've nominated the mayor as baroness (since I can import most of her likes that aren't on site) and I'm giving her a nicer room. I've also begun soap production for the first time... ever, I believe.

This is also only the second time I've become a barony in the 2010 era- the first time was my very first fort in 2010, and I had no idea how lucky I was.

Disappointingly, my Tigerman doesn't seem to be doing any socializing despite hanging out in the meeting hall all the doo da day. It appears my hopes for a tigerman mayor are dashed. Good news, the walls are nearly completed, and just in time for ambush season. Now if I can get my lazy mechanic off her duff and get some serious work on the lever room done, I'll be set.

EDIT: As part of gussying up the baroness's room, my Legendary Engraver has been doing his thing and recently whipped up a masterpiece right in the throne room. The image is my baroness admiring some sailfin molly's. The engraving is called The Dreadful Cult.

...getting a little Innsmouth in here.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:59:12 pm by monk12 »

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #11768 on: March 26, 2011, 07:12:59 pm »

I have seven minotaurs and four dragons living on my map.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11769 on: March 26, 2011, 07:17:51 pm »

My modded game with needless automatons has failed. I focused too much on my magma forges and I did not see a point from which the magma froreached volcano outside could get in. 'Robot' dwarves can still feel pain.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11770 on: March 26, 2011, 07:24:11 pm »

Just had my long-running and successful fort killed by the Nemesis Unit Load Failure bug.  Dammit, DF.  What the fuck.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11771 on: March 26, 2011, 07:33:44 pm »

Apparently you can get your non-dwarf mayors if and only if there are more of the same species around. They're all very racist and hate each other you see, so they never socialize with other species. :P You have to have enough of them friends with the prospective mayor to outnumber the most popular dwarf.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11772 on: March 26, 2011, 07:56:35 pm »

Apparently you can get your non-dwarf mayors if and only if there are more of the same species around. They're all very racist and hate each other you see, so they never socialize with other species. :P You have to have enough of them friends with the prospective mayor to outnumber the most popular dwarf.

Ah, that would explain it. Well, maybe I'll get lucky and get a breeding pair.

In other news, my baroness has mandated a cave fish leather item, the only thing I can't readily produce. I'm utilizing the bismuth bronze chains she mandated earlier in a jail for whatever poor sod takes the blame. First the cult thing, and now this... I'm starting to wonder about her.

My bridge across the mighty... whatever this river is called is nearly complete. Construction was delayed when a giraffe wandered onto the bridge for some reason- in order to keep dwarves from dodging into the river I dispatched my marksdwarves for some much needed archery practice. Almost as soon as the giraffe was dead a Forgotten Beast came. Due to the just-now-fixed bug where mud removes natural ramps, there isn't actually a way for anything to get to my cavern entrance. Sending the marksdwarves below resulted in a single line of text:

The flying =iron bolt= strikes the FB in the cephalothorax, tearing the muscle and tearing the brain!

Good times. In other news, I just found out that the symbol of my civilization is a blade weed. My fortress government symbol is a quern. I detect subversive elements. It could be innocent, though, since clothing is my main export- my uniforms all specify emerald socks, even.

And finally, I've interred all of my ghosts. There hasn't been a pressing need since none of them were bitchy ghosts, and my dwarves are swooning over my lavish meals and legendary dining hall. I haven't even installed the mist machine yet.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11773 on: March 26, 2011, 08:30:01 pm »

My militia commander was attempting to organize a combat demonstration when the only other member of the squad decided to go to sleep in the barracks. I laughed, and was about to go off to do other things when I saw the militia commander charge across the barracks and stand on the same square as the sleeping dwarf, and the Sparring report icon popped up. I check the report, and sure enough, the militia commander is laying into his sleeping squadmate's head with his training spear.

Edit: Now the student is getting revenge. The militia commander is sleeping, and getting bonked about the nose and ears by his squadmate.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:51:39 pm by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11774 on: March 26, 2011, 08:31:24 pm »

Gatizobok, "The Fondled Pillar", a native gold mechanisms

This is a native gold mechanisms. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with native gold, decorated with yak leather, and encircled with bands of native gold. This object menaces with spikes of native gold.

Weight: 386

Basic Value: 217200

Not bad for my first artifact in this fort, and I'm very early into the game. It's either late winter or early spring - I don't remember. The name is fitting, since the dwarf who made it is named after an old college friend of mine who was well known for being a bit randy.

Edit: Also, badgers. Very angry badgers. Regular ones, badger men, and giant  badgers. They keep swarming over the map and attacking anything out in the open. No injuries yet, and two smaller badgers were killed by a miner and a horse.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:38:43 pm by Newbunkle »
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 3842