Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112151 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11655 on: March 23, 2011, 11:10:48 am »

Okay, so hilariously when I restarted that world, DF sitefinder dropped me on EXACTLY the same site as before. Same galena deposits, same magma tube in Cave 2, same draft animals (two horses). It did put me in a more convenient place to carry out a better arrangement of burrowing plans, and I think it also put me into a civ where I can import iron.

:D

Also, plans for a trap corridor: Thin assembly of cage traps, followed by a "one-way floor" set-up of pressure-plates-and-grates forcing invaders into an area of silver spike traps, linked to a remote lever some dwarf is pulling away. Just beyond the spike traps is a pit, normally covered by a retracting bridge (that has been retracted by lever), that extends all the way into Cave 1, and an area therein covered in more spikes, for the most awesome ASCII gibs possible.

My main concern here is building destroyers tearing up the one-way floors and repeating spike traps. I think I'll counter that by training a squadron of marksdorfs to pepper the BDs from beyond the bridge/pit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11656 on: March 23, 2011, 11:28:21 am »

well learn something today one that lair buildings could be accessed but won't net you actions (well one might want to find the RAW name for it any way) ...so for best embark sites find and clear out a lair in adventure mode ...

Night creature lairs also have a preserving effect on the contents, until you embark there. or use Dfusion(.21) or Tweak(.19) and cover the area with a non scatter proof coating You could use an adventurer to store loot there, and then embark so you could use that loot in your fort. You could either store stolen human goods there, or take loot from an abandoned fort and move it to the lair for re-use.
weird thing you mention that I was about to go into testing out if I could turn the place into a retire spot with the modifications still there(like storing wild animals/storing sentient creatures ) using DFMODE the whole human meat eating caught me by surprise as a neat thing Dwarves do and wanted to post it.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: March 23, 2011, 11:42:53 am »

a hill titan showed up! this time, it was a leech with wings and a poisonous bite...3 different dwarves bit it in the mouth -.-;;

i only lost 1 dwarf in the fighting, but when i looked over the fight logs, one of my dwarves got injected with hill titan extract, is he doomed?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: March 23, 2011, 11:55:19 am »

a hill titan showed up! this time, it was a leech with wings and a poisonous bite...3 different dwarves bit it in the mouth -.-;;

i only lost 1 dwarf in the fighting, but when i looked over the fight logs, one of my dwarves got injected with hill titan extract, is he doomed?

Yeah they "bit" him in the mouth...before he injected them with his "extract".

They call that date rape where I come from.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11659 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59:39 am »

Poisons can do weird things, some of which are not immediately fatal. Some of the medical overhauls have made it possible for medic dwarves to treat syndromes as well.

Best of all, if it's injected he probably can't spread it around like dust or ichor, so even if he dies no one else will.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11660 on: March 23, 2011, 12:09:55 pm »

lol only 2 guys got injected with his extract, and one of them died fighting.

and fun fun fun, a siege showed up seconds after i offed the hill titan -.-;; i wonder if i should have just left the titan alive and just closed up shop, let the gobbies fuck with it

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: March 23, 2011, 01:23:45 pm »

It appears my Woodcutter has been slacking, and my wood supply is gone. Nothing I can't fix, but this screws up a good deal of automation that I have to set up again. Fortunately, the Elven caravan has appeared just in time for me to rob them blind!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: March 23, 2011, 01:54:50 pm »

Wow, my new fort lucked out, big-time. High master stonecrafter in the first wave of immigrants. Blacksmith arrived in the second, so my woodcutter's out trolling the elves so I can get charcoal until I reach Cave 2 and magma. Then a mood hit and an immigrant stoneworker went legendary mason building a lead-studded gabbro table for my dining room.

Holy flying figs this fort is awesome, just obscene with stuff. Masterwork stone crafts flying out of my ears, buying out the caravan's steel and iron weaponry... Who wants to bet it gets raped by goblins by the end of the second year?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #11663 on: March 23, 2011, 02:43:36 pm »

Hiding from goblin siege now, but no booze and no farms. No water either, my caravan reliance plan might have doomed this fort.

EDIT: Nah, the siegers got tired to my turtle and left. They later ambushed some of my dorfs but my military killed them all, taking only slight injuries. I stole all food and booze from elfs and decimated the local wilds by cutting trees and destroying all edible plant life in the embark. Even got my artifact lead warhammer back!  8)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:27:57 pm by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: March 23, 2011, 02:49:53 pm »

You can't get to the caverns? There might be enough there to help you survive.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11665 on: March 23, 2011, 02:51:00 pm »

Built a water reactor in my fortress, carefully designed with water wheels driving pumps and multiple lever controlled floor hatches so I can shut the entire thing off when it's not needed.  Started it up, verified it ran, then shut the floor hatches, only to have the water wheels go right on turning.  I've hit the bug where under certain conditions water is always considered to be in motion even if it's in a sealed box with no inlet, outlet, or pumps.  Technically this is a good thing because it means I can deconstruct the pumps and just have a bunch of water wheels driven by nothing, but it's annoying on a stylistic level, and I'm not sure that the constant unused mechanical power is doing my FPS any good.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: March 23, 2011, 03:01:36 pm »

bwahahahahahahahahaha

A VILE SOURCE HAS ARRIVED! (or whatever it says when gobbies siege)

I believe it's "A vital source of goblinite has arrived!"

Or something much like that. ;)

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: March 23, 2011, 04:48:23 pm »

My Clothier is possessed and mumbling about needing wood, cloth, and green glass... all of which I have. My Hammerdorfs are ready.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: March 23, 2011, 04:50:39 pm »

Just got sieged for the 2nd time.
Some fight that was.
I captured two trolls in cages.
Wondering if taking those trolls in front of ballistas would work.
Aaaaand in the middle, the armorer made some lead shield artifact.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11669 on: March 23, 2011, 04:54:57 pm »

i now have 2, count em TWO fucking artifact mechanisms...GOD DAMNIT DWARVES TAKE THE METAL SMITH OR SOMETHING!!!

and my ongoing war against the ponds on my map is going really slow, walling them off has caused 4 dwarves to get caught behind the walls cuz they are stupid, and nearly died from thirst, again, stupid idiots, and hunger
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 3842