Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111871 times)

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11580 on: March 20, 2011, 05:15:48 pm »

Well, just lost this fort. Lutas Worldcleave, for all his legendary combat abilities, was no match for the skinless frog forgotten beast that arrived, which then slaughtered the rest of my troops, at the point a stack of cheese left in the farmer's workshop began to fill the main workshop level with miasma, and as an act of finality, had a guy hit the self destruct, filling the tunnels with magma, killing all the remaining dwarfs, but taking that killer frog with them.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11581 on: March 20, 2011, 05:32:15 pm »

progression on a new fortress is underway.

no goblins, so ill have to miff off the evles or humans eventualy to have something to kill. nearing the 200 pop mark, a bit slower, but since theirs no contaniments like of old, ill not die an fps death.

The place is a barren rocky outcrop with no water source untill my miners finish digging down to the caverns. their busy minning out ingredients for the bazzilion bronze suites for my millatery of 60 +

The front door is a corridor lined with channels of magma. Fun fact: Magma moves alot faster when moving over magma filed channels, so if you got pumps along these channels, it is quite randomly possible for the magma to travel up and cut off the tunnels inhabitants escape route entierly. ensuring much goblin roasting. shame they never wear anything magma proof realy.

p.s. holding off work on the grimoire of armok, got alot of work this week and ill just be too tired to get it done propperly so itll have to wait.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11582 on: March 20, 2011, 05:36:19 pm »

whats the default pop cap? cuz im at 161 now...

beside that uh...still really waiting for a caravan to come so i can unload my goblinite...gonna make some more silver hammers out of the silver i got from the goblinite...working on getting the copper made into...something to sell to the caravans too lol

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11583 on: March 20, 2011, 05:56:37 pm »

deafault caps 200.

Steel industry starting up as well. seems ill have a dual set of suites and weapons.

wish i had silver, or could work lead into a hammer, since ive found many veins of that.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

tree-puncher423

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11584 on: March 20, 2011, 06:10:43 pm »

LOL shouldve used a magma-proof floogate when making that moat! well c ya im off to make around 73 stone coffins LOL!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11585 on: March 20, 2011, 06:15:12 pm »

deafault caps 200.

Steel industry starting up as well. seems ill have a dual set of suites and weapons.

wish i had silver, or could work lead into a hammer, since ive found many veins of that.

If you have lead, you have silver. Galena is the only ore of lead, and it has a 50% chance of dropping silver in addition.

Enjoy your warhammers.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11586 on: March 20, 2011, 06:18:35 pm »

Are dwarves capable of subtle rebellion against politics? The AI programming says no, they are not. Why then is my new mayor's bedroom covered in engravings of my expedition leader?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11587 on: March 20, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »

Because one or more of your engravers is probably friends with your expedition leader.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11588 on: March 20, 2011, 06:38:51 pm »

It's still funny.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11589 on: March 20, 2011, 06:55:45 pm »

My giant box thingy is almost done. I have no magma on my map, so a square with walls will have to do.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11590 on: March 20, 2011, 08:06:26 pm »

I just had quite the epic battle go down outside my fortress. A cyclops arrived, ready to raise hell in my fortress for no other reason than it being there. After my inital reaction, I changed my pants and then sent my militia commander at him. He had a name, a steel shield, and a steel mace, but little experience with shield or mace, and his name came only from murdering elf merchants. Still I was hopeful one of those rare miracles would happen, and my militia commander would manage to bring it down.

He failed completely, only inflicting superficial bruises before dying. The Cyclops wasted no time pursuing the other dwarves, this time weilding his fallen foe's steel shield! He killed a herbalist a pursued others, who were blinded by panic and stupidity and didn't think to draw the creature into the weapon traps. It was starting to look like another poor fool was going to die, but suddenly, a challenger appeared: A human swordswoman, who was just leaving with the merchants. She checked the time, decided she could stick around long enough to kick some ass, and leapt at the monster, who was distracted with beating another herbalist. She announced her presence by stabbing him in the arm, then chopped his eyelid off!

The cyclops, wide-eyed due to fear as well as the loss of aforementioned eyelid, decided he was done for the day and fled. The human followed him, stabbing him whenever she got close enough, so that the cyclops's path was marked by his blood. Several times he turned to fight back, but quickly changed his mind when he saw he was just pissing her off. When he finally collapsed due to having shed copious amounts of blood and presumably even greater amounts of fear urine, the human hacked his skull to pieces, seemingly deliberately avoiding the brain so as to prolong the beast's suffering.

When the cyclops finally died, gladly arriving in Hell because the psychotic swordswoman was not there, the hero who had saved presumably many lives left. She didn't say goodbye, apolagize for the mess, or stop for a breath. She simply walked off the map, knowing her work was done.

And that's why I don't mess with the human merchants.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11591 on: March 20, 2011, 08:18:25 pm »

Looking for the magma sea because I don't have enough trees top make a charcoal smelter viable. Going to make some magma-based smelters, then make a little bit of charcoal to get some anvils and then my entire smelting and forging industry is moving down there. Luckily I can make it a short trip, straight down, and my FPS is seemingly invulnerable due to the fact my dad can't have anything but the best computers.

In other news, I had a gobbo ambush. Unfortunately I had nothing to do with it, as the goblins decided to raid the departing caravan, a big mistake. I have at least 10 pages in my combat reports of The Human Axeman deflects the flying =Iron Bolt= with his *bronze shield*! And the goblins died within two hits. My stockpiles are full of single bolts, but I don't care because my defenses are such that the goblins cannot get inside. Mostly.

A thief took down both may archers with one dagger. They're in the hospital waiting for someone to arrive with enough plaster to make a cast so they can heal. My well froze over and resulted in a hastily dug room dipping into the cavern supply, which is infinite, seeing as the entire cavern is flooded. I walled it off (save for the well) and filled the path with traps. I don't think I'll have to worry about flying creatures though, since don't they need a land-based path?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11592 on: March 20, 2011, 08:19:10 pm »

My goblin grinder caught an invisible snatcher, and since I hadn't installed weapon traps in it yet, the goblin was forced to wander from one end to the other until it was revealed by my carpenter's pet duck, which promptly knocked the snatcher into the pit.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11593 on: March 20, 2011, 08:21:02 pm »

I had an epic battle not long ago. I got visited by none other then a Hill titan, made of resin opal. My military at the time was only 6 dwarves, so I did the only thing I could do. I raised the drawbridge, and then built a quick wall blocking the front door. I already made well sure there was no other way into the fortress. With the titan on my front porch however, it canceled any jobs I assigned my dwarves to do.

While thinking of a way to deal with the situation, a band of 10 migrants came in, and I used that to my advantage. I immediately drafted 8 of them, as 2 were children, and set them to station, attacking the titan as a mob. They got wiped out, but not before inflicting a fair amount of damage. Using the distraction, I set my dwarves to work on the roof, building an overhang, connected to a support, with intent to catch the titan in a cave in.

While that was being built, I got more good news. A goblin siege had decided to show up. After running around after some stray cats, they eventually ran into the titan and got slaughtered. Well, one less problem to worry about. Pulling the lever to my drawbridge, I ordered one of the stones blocking my main gate to be removed, which, predictibly, brought the titan storming back to my main gate. I quickly reraised the drawbridge just as he got ther, then pulled the lever for the upper support....

The cave in missed, by 1 square, but the sheer impact and spread damage, with the wounds caused by my hasty recruitment, and the goblin siege. The titan did not move again. I only lost 12 dwarves total, and a few animals.

Unfortunately, this tossed my fort into a tantrum spiral that resulted in the deaths of 20 more dwarves.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11594 on: March 20, 2011, 10:12:34 pm »

Report from Koshzoden, "Slaughterhouse" to Lertethamost, "the Tangled Town" by Urvad Tobulilrom, baron of "The Blind Hound", in partnership with "TerryDactyl", overseer:

Value: 1 411 997
Population: 158

Year 255, Summer

The Captain of the Guard has succumbed to an infection. A branch of the mine has flooded. An ethical dispute has arisen with a visiting party of elves, necessitating the confiscation of lumber and herbs. We do not anticipate any serious repercussions to occur as a result of this diplomatic indiscretion, as the second line of fortress defenses nears completion.

Preparations are well underway to commence smelting our vast stores of tetrahedrite. More fuel is needed, amounts of which we hope to acquire within the next few years.

Glovedmountains the Courageous Worship of Flight, slayer of giants, has been slated in as the new civil defense captain, at least until healed fully from recent battles. We will watch her performance carefully, as it is rumoured she does not handle stress with grace.
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 3842