Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111274 times)

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11475 on: March 18, 2011, 05:57:02 am »

In the caverns, Maga Sathurbad killed a dwarven baby, and the mother then gave it such a kick in the snowballs that it disintegrated. The spider beast Rofa had four injured legs, so I sent my last guy out to see if I could finish this once and for all.

Sadly, despite doing some damage he dodged off a cliff and exploded on the cavern floor. Rofa is still out there, but at least I got some more dwarves back inside before sealing it out. Now, however, the tantrum spiral is in full swing and the population is falling drastically.

On the plus side, welcome back FPS!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11476 on: March 18, 2011, 07:09:29 am »

Just found the magma sea and thus raw adamantine, for the first time. Next achievement would be to find the HFS. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: March 18, 2011, 08:22:37 am »

Down to 37 dwarves from 270-something. The king is dead. I seem to get a message about a beserk dwarf every 30 seconds or so, but only five are alive right now. An act of vandalism has allowed Rofa into the fortress, so I reckon its just a matter of time now before the end.

My engravers are busy trying to capture the events as they happen. I'm hoping for an engraving that says "Rofa is... aaaargh".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: March 18, 2011, 08:23:34 am »

"The End Is Near"
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11479 on: March 18, 2011, 08:24:51 am »

Indeed. I'm sure a cloud of miasma randomly formed "LOL" just now.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11480 on: March 18, 2011, 08:26:25 am »

Oh God, the game is becoming sentient.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11481 on: March 18, 2011, 09:46:11 am »

so! my two forgotten beasts, a mite and a leech, are both SUPER GOD DAMN SLOW! they were on the same map tile as my pit, i pitted 20 god damn goblins

19 of them got away by running off the edge of the map for god sakes!

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: March 18, 2011, 09:56:36 am »

My latest fort seems to be doing OK so far. It's nearly the end of the first winter. Booze supplies are a little low but food stocks are good, and my sheep are breeding happily. Unfortunately buzzards got at some of my poultry, killing two hens. I'm having trouble catching the hens laying so I can forbid their eggs, too.

I just lost one dwarf to a vulture attack. Damn.

My fort is currently on the surface, constructed by quarried stone from the nearby hill. I'm working on an accommodation block right now. I have storage areas, covered workshops, a pasture for the sheep, another enclosure for the chickens, and a surrounding wall. My main gate will need some fairly rapid work soon to make it ambush-proof; at the moment it's simply a three tile gap in the outer wall.

I suppose I should also get a militia training. I've not started excavating for metals yet, so it'll have to be bowdwarfs. Maybe they'll have some luck with the vultures and buzzards. The camels are at least leaving me alone so far. Migrants have drifted in slowly and the dwarven traders have just left.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: March 18, 2011, 10:22:07 am »

Wheelsabbeys!  Etul Coveredwalls has been promoted to Duchess.  She's stopped doing her normal farming work and just stands around in her vast, palatial residence all day now, admiring the statues of monsters and dying goblins.  I expected her to be a cruel tyrant but actually her demands are pretty reasonable - crossbows, the occasional black bronze item (invariably I just make her another statue for her palace), and large gems.  The mayor, however, keeps demanding pig iron items, and then having people imprisoned when nobody makes it because pig iron is for steel you beardless moron.  We can't even make it here!  It gets imported, a tiny trickle every year!

The mayor has since been fired and replaced with the fortress manager, who likes green glass and iron.

The loyalty cascade I was apparently suffering has caused a lot of images of "a goblin striking down a goblin" to appear in the fortress.  The traders seem to love it, and the last dwarf caravan paid out the nose for a figurine of one goblin whipping another goblin to death.

We built a bronze bridge over the river (because I had a lot of bronze).  So far the only people to use it are a goblin siege, which showed up shortly after it was completed.  It didn't start out well for the goblins; the lead goblin's mount tried to drown him in the river.  I sent out my swordsdwarves and the siege dissolved in a spray of severed limbs. (Seriously, I was watching it and could see the goblin chunks flying across the map).  This marks the first time in the history of the world that my civilization has actually won a battle against the goblins.

I took their scourges and whips and am now training a scourge squad.  Everything else was thrown into the incinerator/trash compactor, because I am trying to fight against an FPS death.

I threw a jaguar down a pit into the caverns, hoping he'd wander around and explore.  He's uninjured, but he's content to just sit there and occasionally move a square or two to the left.  Lazy bastard.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: March 18, 2011, 10:48:44 am »

if he mandates pig iron, just make some more  :P
I think it fills his wishes (unless he wants like a chair made of it...)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: March 18, 2011, 10:51:42 am »

I threw a jaguar down a pit into the caverns, hoping he'd wander around and explore.  He's uninjured, but he's content to just sit there and occasionally move a square or two to the left.  Lazy bastard.

Make a meeting zone in the place(s) you want him to explore. Animals are like dwarves, and thus the jaguar will move to the zone.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: March 18, 2011, 12:10:48 pm »

if he mandates pig iron, just make some more  :P
I think it fills his wishes (unless he wants like a chair made of it...)

Unfortunately we don't have any flux on the map, so opportunities to actually make a bar of pig iron are few and far between.  Rather than save up some iron and flux on the side to forge a bar whenever Mayor Fussypants decides he wants one, I just replaced the mayor with someone who wants things that exist.

Make a meeting zone in the place(s) you want him to explore. Animals are like dwarves, and thus the jaguar will move to the zone.

Brilliant, I'm trying this when I get home.

Something else I remembered: I accidentally left the legendary clothier repeating "Sew Cloth Image", and he consumed the fort's entire supply of dyed cloth and now basically every cloth or leather item in the fortress has an exceptional or masterwork image sewn into it.  The dwarves have cabinets brimming with awesome trousers which they don't actually wear, because the clothes they came in with haven't completely worn out yet.

The Gem Setter did something similar, but socks that menace with spikes of green glass don't sound very comfortable.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:21:18 pm by Bleaktea »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: March 18, 2011, 12:35:12 pm »

Parts 70, 71, and 72 of my LP are up.

I've had barely any experience with magma prior to this LP and it shows. As I've never embarked on a volcano or been fortunate enough to stumble on a magma pipe it has always been to deep down to make use of it. And since I can't figure out pumps to save my life I doubt that will be changing.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: March 18, 2011, 12:38:14 pm »

The queen just turned up; my first mountainhome!

Things are going rather well now that I've got my magma forges and furnaces set up again.

The thing is, I want more sieges, but murdering the hapless elves and humans just seems like kind of a dick move.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: March 18, 2011, 01:24:50 pm »

The queen just turned up; my first mountainhome!

Things are going rather well now that I've got my magma forges and furnaces set up again.

The thing is, I want more sieges, but murdering the hapless elves and humans just seems like kind of a dick move.
Ah, but dwarfs are pretty much dicks anyway. Dick moves IS a national sport. If it weren't, well, why would they deconstruct a floor tile right under another worker's feet, sending them falling and flailing to a painful death? Stupidity? Huh, right, that would explain things as well.
Besides, there are many ways to make it less murder and more unfortunate accident. Set up traps in advance, and see elves and humans step right into it instead of being smart and walking around it. Or simply don't let them out and let them become crazy. I believe that counts technically as murder for their civilization, and you never actually actively do anything wrong.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 3842